scouting mallet

playman

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm Mallet has 322 yards and counting against the top ranked defending national champion Crimson Tide. Kind of a no brainer imo.

Have you watched the game? Or was that sarcastic?

A) The obvious. He just threw two big interceptions.

B) NFL defenses will be better than the Tides'

C) A lot of those yards are after the catch

D) Danny Wuerffel? Ryan Leaf? Leinart? You can absolutely rip it up in college and not have it translate to the NFL

I'm sorry, if you watch this guy play, I just don't see it. Of course, I could be wrong. I like his leadership qualities. He's definitely got the makeup. But, his accuracy is off and he doesn't move well in the pocket. I think he could find success if he refines a few things, but I'm not positive. For what its worth, Clausen is the better QB. And wasn't even a 1st round pick.

Edited by Union2008

I am not the biggest fan of him. I watched him play UGA last week and last year. And yes he had that nice scoring drive at the end last week. but he got very careless for the whole qt before that. In this Alabama game, same thing. I also think he is very whiney. Not sure Bills fans will like a guy that sulks like he does. He has a big arm, but he is very emmotional and not sure he has the maturity. Not saying you cant get that, but he is not a day one starter. Which then means he should not be drafted in the top 10. He will need some time to grow mentally. You guys wanna wait for that?

He is definitely Drew-ish, no doubt.

Agreed, stay away from QBs who piss games away.

Let's see. He's driving against the best team in the country with the game on the line and they KNOW he must pass.

Did you happen to see when he killed Georgia's rally with a late perfect drive last week after the Bulldogs had tied the game in the fourth quarter? His poise was remarkable.

But yea, let's draft another PAC 10 QB and lose for another decade. W00T.

Edited by SouthGeorgiaBillsFan

Hmm Mallet has 322 yards and counting against the top ranked defending national champion Crimson Tide. Kind of a no brainer imo.

Lets not just include his yardage cause that doesn't tell the whole game. Don't forget his 3 int's. 1 that put them place to go ahead. And another that sealed the victory for Bama'

Let's see. He's driving against the best team in the country with the game on the line and they KNOW he must pass.

Did you happen to see when he kill Georgia's rally with a late perfect drive last week after the Bulldogs had tied the game in the fourth quarter? His poise was remarkable.

But yea, let's draft another PAC 10 QB and lose for another decade. W00T.

I didn't say draft Luck either, I say fix the OL once-and-for-all.

Of the 2 though, I think Luck would be able to do more with the garbage we have... Mallett would just get killed, he's just too big and slow (see: Drew).

Yea. He just threw for 350+ yards against the far and away best team in the country. But right. Let's get that guy from Standford. Playing in the Pac-10 is a great way to prove yourself.

Wow, Ur so right! what did playing in the pac-10 do for John Elway or Aaron Rodgers or Carson Palmer ... Man they looked/look terrible. That is probably the worst criticism of Luck. Or maybe we should be critical of QB's like Tony Romo or Drew Bree's because they didn't come from big college programs. Come on man, Really? That is your argument?

Edited by Wayne333

Wow, Ur so right! what did playing in the pac-10 do for John Elway or Aaron Rodgers or Carson Palmer ... Man they looked/look terrible. That is probably the worst criticism of Luck.

Agreed. On the other hand though, stay far, FAR away from any Penn State players early in the draft. That fact can no longer be disputed.

I didn't say draft Luck either, I say fix the OL once-and-for-all.

Of the 2 though, I think Luck would be able to do more with the garbage we have... Mallett would just get killed, he's just too big and slow (see: Drew).

Luck is a Matt Ryan type of player. Drew Brees if we hit the jack pot.

If Mallett is lucky he'll be a poor man's Jay Cutler. Just taller and less mobile. By the way, it wasn't just that Mallett wasn't impressed with Michigan, Michigan wasn't all that impressed with him either.

Give me Terrell Pryor before Ryan Mallett. Seriously.

I'm wrong about a lot of things, but I'm on record several times with regard to this guy. He will set our team back ten years just like drew did to the Pats. The guy puts up big passing numbers when nothing is on the line, but when it really counts, he chokes. He will never win the big game for us, just like Drew couldn't.

Just say "no" to Mallett.

That kind of sounds like Dick Jauron type thinking: just happy to keep it respectable!

I think we need a guy that flat out wins, not that has become accustomed to being dragged down by the lack of talent around him and thus unable to rise to the level of the competition.

Luck is a Matt Ryan type of player. Drew Brees if we hit the jack pot.

If Mallett is lucky he'll be a poor man's Jay Cutler. Just taller and less mobile. By the way, it wasn't just that Mallett wasn't impressed with Michigan, Michigan wasn't all that impressed with him either.

Give me Terrell Pryor before Ryan Mallett. Seriously.

I only saw the Miami game this year, but I was much, much more impressed with Pryor that day than with Mallett the past 2 weeks. TP looked much improved to me. :beer:

Then let's just hold on to Trent: When the game is on the line and the better teams in the NFL KNOW he must pass Trent can't get it done, either.

Isn't this the type of situation you'd want your QB to excel in? Not flush it down the tank?

Edited by Punch

Yea. He just threw for 350+ yards against the far and away best team in the country. But right. Let's get that guy from Standford. Playing in the Pac-10 is a great way to prove yourself.

also threw 3 picks.

one where he wasnt even able to throw it out of bounds.

and im not advocating ( spelling/meaning?) luck.

i just think we need a QB who makes little to no mistakes. while still be willing to take some risks.

but that beeing said, hes a junior. he may very well be able to correct his flaws as shown today and become a great player.

thats why, on another thread, i expressed hope that NONE of the hot QBs will come out so we can fix our line. and pick our QB in 2012.

beeing that mallet, or luck, or whoever...........

Edited by playman

I'm wrong about a lot of things, but I'm on record several times with regard to this guy. He will set our team back ten years just like drew did to the Pats. The guy puts up big passing numbers when nothing is on the line, but when it really counts, he chokes. He will never win the big game for us, just like Drew couldn't.

Just say "no" to Mallett.

I am having to agree with you... still want to see a little more, but I am not impressed thus far, not at all.

but that beeing said, hes a junior. he may very well be able to correct his flaws as shown today and become a great player.

To be fair to Mallett, he has made huge strides from last year to this year. It's reasonable that he could make another huge leap next year... but there's no way to be sure.