Has CHIX failed us already?

Glory Bound

I don't believe that. But I can't understand why one would post on a board devoted to Buffalo football if they believe football is no longer played in Buffalo. That simply sounds crazy.

I suppose there's a bit of hyperbole in my post, but I guess you just want to take things at face value, so do you think pro football is being played in Buffalo these days? Players laughing at the Bills openly on the field and you think that's not pathetic? Take a look at these numbers http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2010&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1 does that look professional to you?

We're rebuilding. Our goal is to be good by 2012 or so. Judge them at that time.

And then in 2012 the story will be "Well just give them some more time they have a young QB and that takes time to develop, but they're finally on the right track." Same old song and dance for a decade.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're rebuilding. Our goal is to be good by 2012 or so. Judge them at that time.

Why couldn't being good this year be the goal?

Are we waiting for Buddy and Chan's Geritol to kick in?

Are they waiting until 2012 to collect their paychecks?

Edited by VADC Bills

I suppose there's a bit of hyperbole in my post, but I guess you just want to take things at face value, so do you think pro football is being played in Buffalo these days? Players laughing at the Bills openly on the field and you think that's not pathetic? Take a look at these numbers http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2010&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1 does that look professional to you?

I don't take two games of data as evidence of anything too global, actually. I'm not happy with the Bills performance in the past few years, but they have never been the worst, or even the second or third worst team in football. I don't assume, based on two bad weeks, they now no longer play professional football in Buffalo.

But some here, and you seem to fit the bill, seem to think the situation is hopeless. You seem joyless when discussing the Bills and some have decided they will never improve (at least as long as Ralph owns them) and are on the verge of moving. I just wonder how you can root for a team, and take the time to discuss them if they make you that miserable.

I don't take two games of data as evidence of anything too global, actually. I'm not happy with the Bills performance in the past few years, but they have never been the worst, or even the second or third worst team in football. I don't assume, based on two bad weeks, they now no longer play professional football in Buffalo.

But some here, and you seem to fit the bill, seem to think the situation is hopeless. You seem joyless when discussing the Bills and some have decided they will never improve (at least as long as Ralph owns them) and are on the verge of moving. I just wonder how you can root for a team, and take the time to discuss them if they make you that miserable.

Well it seems they've reached a new low. I didn't buy into the hype about them being the worst team in the NFL going into this season, but I don't see any evidence that this is anything but truth.

Ten years of having absolutely nothing to look forward to in the NFL season tends to do that to you. As to why I take the time to discuss this team, I don't really know. Maybe I'm a masochist.

We weren't even the third-worst team in the league in 1984 and 1985? How about 1986?

Edited by TheChimp

Have to admit, we've seen a lot of horribility on the field this year and can expect more terribloginousness.

But being bad this year gets us a good pick next year, and for a rebuilding team, that has goodaciousness.

Not directed at you Thurman#1, but what has happened to us as sports fans, when we pull for our teams to lose, so that they will get a higher draft pick next year? I hate that whole argument, and I hate that notion. I am going to watch every Bills game, win or lose, and I am never going to hope the Bills lose, even if it means a single victory or two, drops their place in the draft a few. That is why I am glad that Ryan Fitzpatrick is starting Sunday. Starting him, over Trent, at this point, may mean the Bills win two or three more games this year, than they would have...I say great. Besides, the Bills have been picking anywhere from 8-14 for most of the last decade, and they haven't been able to strike draft gold, with any pick, really. Is it really a sure thing that drafting #1 is going to be any more lucrative for them?

Not directed at you Thurman#1, but what has happened to us as sports fans, when we pull for our teams to lose, so that they will get a higher draft pick next year? I hate that whole argument, and I hate that notion. I am going to watch every Bills game, win or lose, and I am never going to hope the Bills lose, even if it means a single victory or two, drops their place in the draft a few. That is why I am glad that Ryan Fitzpatrick is starting Sunday. Starting him, over Trent, at this point, may mean the Bills win two or three more games this year, than they would have...I say great. Besides, the Bills have been picking anywhere from 8-14 for most of the last decade, and they haven't been able to strike draft gold, with any pick, really. Is it really a sure thing that drafting #1 is going to be any more lucrative for them?

Good post Buftex, also the culture they have to build in the locker room, on the team has got to be one of winning. If they were to simply decide to "tank" it. How are you building for the future? for what? the ability to pick a rookie as the franchise saviour? Then next year they come in and the coach say "Ok, now we are going for it! I expect you guys to step up and play." Sorry, but thats not how it works or how you build a winner.

Hello? Our starting QB was just benched...after two flippin games! There is no more appropriate question at this time than the one I raised with my OP. If you have one, I would love to hear it.

How about:

With a dearth of talent at virtually every position, what exactly did you expect? Did you think that some football gurus were going to come in here and turn this team around in one off season?

Perhaps Dick Jauron deserved a little more credit than what he got, considering he coached the team to a record that was well beyond what the level of talent should have allowed. No wonder no good coaches would entertain coming here. You think Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden want their reputations tarnished by a tenure of ultimate failure because they are being asked to lead the least talented team in the NFL?

I mean our first draft under the new regime really wasn't bad. We drafted arguably the most talented player in the draft and focused heavily on the defensive line. Only time will tell whether these picks prove to be significant factors in turning the franchise around, but the philosophy seems to be headed in the right direction.

It was pretty stupid for anyone to expect an improvement this year, considering the overwhelming lack of talent on this team. It is going to take three seasons before we start to reap the benefits of the new regime. The only bad part is that if they fail, that is three more years of time wasted. But based on what we've seen so far, cautious optimism is not at all unreasonable at this point. But cautious optimism is the hallmark of an unsuccessful franchise, and at least for the time being, we probably are the worst team in the NFL.

Hey Guys, I did not invent the word CHIX. I've seen it several times on the board so I thought I would use it. I just really want to know...Tebow & Clausen & the available LT's in the draft...are they lacking that much? Are our QB's & LT's really better? Did Chan Gailey & Buddy Nix see this & avoid more mediocracy, or did they really think we had some potential studs? I am really wondering if CHIX is blind, or are these guys that shrewd that they're planning for next years draft? All I know is I spent almost 400 smackers on the NFL Sunday ticket & the NFL to go so I could watch my beloved Bills on my laptop at work, & I'm starting to wish I gave the money to charity. GRRRRR  I'll tell ya, if Tebow or Clausen shine anytime soon, I'm gonna send a hundred certified letters to OBD.

The Bills desperately wanted Tebow to run the spread the option offense.

They got too cute and allowed Denver to trade up ahead of where they were targeting him to go.

The whole plan fell apart after that - and 2010 became a tanked season to get a real QB in 2011.

no way any real NFL coach/GM goes into a season with our OL with any expectation other than losing a lot of games. Either Chan and Buddy are both completely incompetent (whicn is possible) or they are tanking the season to get a top 3 draft pick.

They got too cute and allowed Denver to trade up ahead of where they were targeting him to go.

The whole plan fell apart after that - and 2010 became a tanked season to get a real QB in 2011.

no way any real NFL coach/GM goes into a season with our OL with any expectation other than losing a lot of games. Either Chan and Buddy are both completely incompetent (whicn is possible) or they are tanking the season to get a top 3 draft pick.

Can you substantiate this by anything RW or CHIX has stated, or do you have inside information? Perhaps I missed an interview or two? I would have loved for this to have happened.

I might have already responded earlier in the week to this one - I don't remember; but, I've thought about this team this week and have decided its really a case of BAD MEDICINE. I just don't want to take the medicine.

This is what led me to that conclusion: I wondered, would I like to see the Bills win five or six games, or even say, three, and end up one win too many to pick first? Or, basically, would I prefer to see a few meaningless wins this year at the price of jeopardizing a chance to get our Franchise QB of choice next year?

I'm going to remind myself of this all year. And, I believe that is why they are playing Fitz instead of Brohm. If Brohm shows he's got skill, but doesn't play great, then all of a sudden they have a real dilemma come draft day: go QB or pick up that much needed LT or OLB? That is my reason's justification for not allowing Brohm to show what he's got, and a few other young guys, too. The season is young, as well, and there might be a light at the end of it - maybe a little Luck? Or use a Mallet to pound us home some victories? It's one to Ponder.

Edited by sllib olaffub

I might have already responded earlier in the week to this one - I don't remember; but, I've thought about this team this week and have decided its really a case of BAD MEDICINE. I just don't want to take the medicine.

This is what led me to that conclusion: I wondered, would I like to see the Bills win five or six games, or even say, three, and end up one win too many to pick first? Or, basically, would I prefer to see a few meaningless wins this year at the price of jeopardizing a chance to get our Franchise QB of choice next year?

I'm going to remind myself of this all year. And, I believe that is why they are playing Fitz instead of Brohm. If Brohm shows he's got skill, but doesn't play great, then all of a sudden they have a real dilemma come draft day: go QB or pick up that much needed LT or OLB? That is my reason's justification for not allowing Brohm to show what he's got, and a few other young guys, too. The season is young, as well, and there might be a light at the end of it - maybe a little Luck? Or use a Mallet to pound us home some victories? It's one to Ponder.

:sick: My gosh, that is so bad...it's not even punny!

We weren't even the third-worst team in the league in 1984 and 1985? How about 1986?

Yes, my bad. Sorry. I was talking about the most recent wave of incompetence. But you make a good point (even if it isn't the point you were going for). The Bills have looked FAR worse in the past than they have recently. And they have recovered. Maybe that's why many of us old-timers don't act like whiny Chicken Littles when things aren't going well.

Care to supply one speck of evidence for that statement? I have no special inside source, but I do have some contacts who do. Tebow was NEVER on the Bills radar for the early rounds, from what I heard before and after the draft. They would NOT have taken Tebow in the 2nd round had he been available, is what I was told before and after the draft.

Care to supply one speck of evidence for that statement? I have no special inside source, but I do have some contacts who do. Tebow was NEVER on the Bills radar for the early rounds, from what I heard before and after the draft. They would NOT have taken Tebow in the 2nd round had he been available, is what I was told before and after the draft.

That's the impression I was under as well, much to my chagrin.

Yes, my bad.  Sorry.  I was talking about the most recent wave of incompetence.  But you make a good point (even if it isn't the point you were going for).  The Bills have looked FAR worse in the past than they have recently.  And they have recovered.  Maybe that's why many of us old-timers don't act like whiny Chicken Littles when things aren't going well.

Care to supply one speck of evidence for that statement?  I have no special inside source, but I do have some contacts who do.  Tebow was NEVER on the Bills radar for the early rounds, from what I heard before and after the draft.  They would NOT have taken Tebow in the 2nd round had he been available, is what I was told before and after the draft.

of course that's what you heard - the Bills were playing it close to the vest and not exactly advertising their intentions to try to avoid what happened.

but hey - believe what ever official spin the Bills put out 

Not directed at you Thurman#1, but what has happened to us as sports fans, when we pull for our teams to lose, so that they will get a higher draft pick next year?

TEN YEARS happened. Going on eleven. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm fully behind the tanking maneuver. FULLY.

of course that's what you heard - the Bills were playing it close to the vest and not exactly advertising their intentions to try to avoid what happened.

So, you have nothing, right? You are simply making all this up. Just admit it.