Evans is a Fitz fan (relatively speaking)

dave mcbride

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/

What do you think of what Fitz brings to the table? "It’s completely different than Trent. Just a completely different quarterback. He does thing that sometimes you may not advise. But he just plays. He just sees the game and he plays. He’s very witty and just plays. With that, you have a chance."

So he’ll freelance more than Trent? "He’ll freelance a little bit more. He’s not afraid to get in the huddle and trust what he’s seeing. Or tell somebody to do something else. However he feels it. He has a good feel for the game. He’s played under some very good quarterbacks in this league that he’s learned from. That’s just part of his game."

Does it help knowing you guys won five games last year with him? "Absolutely. He’s no stranger to us. We know who he is, we know what he likes to do. At all times you just gotta be ready because he just plays and gives you a shot."

[My emphasis added.]

That said, football outsiders is no fan of Fitz! http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2010/week-2-quick-reads

"Edwards is being replaced by Ryan Fitzpatrick, who's ranked 36th, 35th, and 36th in DVOA over his three seasons with significant playing time and has to rank as one of the worst quarterbacks in the modern era to get 23 starts."

Edited by dave mcbride

Well, it's pretty clear that Evans (like TO last season) prefers Fitz over Trent. There are several Fitz plays from last season that Trent never would have "freelanced" on or audibled to or executed for that matter... (i.e 98 yd TD pass to Owens vs. Jax, long TD run vs. Miami and some nice hookups w/ TO, several nice passes in the snow vs. Indy)

Will Fitz beat New England and dazzle them with a 300 yd passing display? nah. But it will be nice to see a smart guy in the huddle, who can read a defense and make the right decision most of the time. Maybe the opposition won't play their safety's 5 yds from the line of scrimmage and shut the door on the ground game so easily.

Well, it's pretty clear that Evans (like TO last season) prefers Fitz over Trent. There are several Fitz plays from last season that Trent never would have "freelanced" on or audibled to or executed for that matter... (i.e 98 yd TD pass to Owens vs. Jax, long TD run vs. Miami and some nice hookups w/ TO, several nice passes in the snow vs. Indy)

Will Fitz beat New England and dazzle them with a 300 yd passing display? nah. But it will be nice to see a smart guy in the huddle, who can read a defense and make the right decision most of the time. Maybe the opposition won't play their safety's 5 yds from the line of scrimmage and shut the door on the ground game so easily.

Well said, I hope he can BE SMART, Audible, give us a chance to do something. We all know Fitz is not the answer, we dont have the answer here,..... Its in the 2011 Draft. Maybe fitz can help win a few games ( I predict 5-11), and mentor next years QB

Edited by coldstorage5

Evans is a non-Trent QB supporter. He like JP and Fitz, because they threw the ball to him on his one-pony plays. The last really good QB for Evans was Drew Bledsoe and that is not saying anything good.

Well yes, but let's be fair. With Losman he usually did more than his one trick and put up stats of a #1 receiver the year he and Losman both played 16 games.

Yeah, I hated winning 9 games too. ;)

I also hated seeing the Bills be taken to task by the Steelers 3rd string at home. It hurts especially when you live in the Steel City and have to be surrounded by Steeler fans at work after such a game <_<

I've been a longtime defender of Edwards because he's got a great release and has a much better arm than many give him credit for. But like so many other failed Bills QBs in the last decade, he simply lacks a feel for the game.

Edwards isn't a gamer. That's why he wins preseason QB competitions - he follows the scripts in practice but can't navigate his team through an actual game.

Tough lesson. I was pulling for him. Amazing how hard it is to find a gamer at that position. You have to have one if you want to win playoff games.

Edited by nodnarb

I also hated seeing the Bills be taken to task by the Steelers 3rd string at home. It hurts especially when you live in the Steel City and have to be surrounded by Steeler fans at work after such a game <_<

Yeah, except that wasn't really true. The entire starting OL played, and Willie Parker was the back.

It's probably worth saying at this point that that Steelers team was great, and had incredible depth. The backups who stuck the knife in late were James Harrison (who returned a fumble for a TD in the 4th quarter) and Willie Parker (who ran for over 100 yards on 19 carries). They turned out to be OK players. Brian St. Pierre only threw one pass, and the other QB (Maddox) had taken them to the playoffs in 2002.

I've been a longtime defender of Edwards because he's got a great release and has a much better arm than many give him credit for. But like so many other failed Bills QBs in the last decade, he simply lacks a feel for the game.

Edwards isn't a gamer. That's why he wins preseason QB competitions - he follows the scripts in practice but can't navigate his team through an actual game.

Tough lesson. I was pulling for him. Amazing how hard it is to find a gamer at that position. You have to have one if you want to win playoff games.

Could have written this myself. I came to the same conclusion midway through last season, but stupidly rethought my position during preseason of this year.

Edited by dave mcbride