Gailey needs to make some permanent changes now

USABuffaloFan

I think they want to let Brohm start a bunch this year and I think starting Edwards and throwing him to the wolves for a few weeks was a brilliant ploy. If they had started Brohm from day 1 and he struggled, fans would be all over him. But they trot out Edwards for 3-4 gamees to show how truly awful a guy can play even after starting for 3 years. Then they bench him and go with Brohm. The expectations will be lower and hopefully he can get some experience and start to feel comfortable back there as the season goes on.

[/quote

I totally agree. I said in training camp that that was the plan all along. It gives the oline time to gel and Brohm more time to learn Chan's offense. If by some miracle Trent would have played well, then he would have stuck with him.

Edited by Camel's Toe

What changes has Gailey made to this offense since last year that helped. Green was a mistake, cut him Monday morning. Bell isn't ready yet, we may have to go with him for now. Here is what we can do for next game with what we have on the roster now.

I would do this so we build this line for the future plus shore up things for now so we don't kill all our QB's.

Brohm in, Edwards cut Monday morning. Fitzpatrick stays 2nd QB, bring back Levi Brown as 3rd QB.

Starting offensive line; LT Levitre LG Hangartner C Wood RG Urbik RT Meredith

-Levitre played LT well for parts of 2 games last year and he started 21 games at LT in college, 9 as RT. Later in the season when players get healthy or some get better I would change this line to this.

Starting offensive line; LT Wang LG Levitre C Wood RG Urbik RT Bell

-Hangartner and Meredith can backup every position. Wang will need time and might need relief from Meredith at times. Bell should be stud at RT tackle but in a need sake Hangartner can go to RG and Urbik can kick to RT. Still have Howard for guard play if Woods gets hurt and Hangartner shifts to center.

Woods was a great center in college and snapped to Brohm. Wang has alot to prove but also has alot of ambition and will to be successful for his home country China. His parents will drive him, he has a good sports pedigree from parents who were Olympians. Bell needs to heal more, than go to RT were he can and will be successful.

Starting running back is Fred Jackson wth Spiller backing him up. Lynch gets traded and Bell comes back on roster.

Starting recievers are Evans and Parrish, they have speed and Brohm throws long. Johnson will play 3rd receiver/ TE as a reciever. 4th and 5th recievers remain Nelson and Jones. I would have kept Chad Jackson over Jones.

Starting TE will be Nelson, Stupar and Martin hold down fort for now.

Offensive game plan built on running. Like wildcat with Jackson and Spiller, Jackson QB's. Alot can be done out of that package with speed of Evans and Parrish on reverses. Jackson throwing to Spiller, Evans and Parrish. I would go no huddle if you catch defense off guard in this formation. I also like shotgun with Jackson and Spiller on each side of Brohm. One can pick up blitzer the other can get a draw or screen pass and of course we can go long to either Evans, Parrish or Spiller/Jackson in space to run.

None of that would make any difference. The reality is that you can't retool an offense that has hardly any starting caliber players and change your defensive personnel to fit a whole new defense in a single offseason. It simply can't be done. This will take time. There are no great players hiding in the wings ready to be discovered. Yes Green stinks, yes Bell is awful but they are all we have right now. Wang missed too much practice time for a rookie. He will see the field whenever he is even close to being ready. They have used the shot gun, they have used the no-huddle and it hasn't worked. There is no defense out there that can be beat consistently enough in a game by a near talentless offense simply by clever gadgets and gimmicks.

We just have to accept the reality that so many of us have talked about since day one. This team is rebuilding and given the size of the job, its going to take a heckuva lot more than one season and we will likely get worse before we get better. I think Gailey will get them playing better and better each week and they may even win a decent number of games before the season is done but they could just as easily lose 13 games. I am optimistic that eventually Gailey and Buddy will build a winner and patient enough to endure what is likely to be a really long season.

Respectfully, I can only think that all the hair pulling and gnashing of teeth, all the talk about cutting this guy and that guy, originates from those who had unrealistic expectations for this team in the first place.

Gailey made a VERY interesting comment yesterday during his press conferences. He said it was his job to figure out why things weren't working and make any necessary changes.

Maybe I'm over reading this but if you listed to the audio it sounds to me as though he might be contemplating a QB change. Go listen to it and tell me what you think:

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Chan-Gailey-Postgame-Press-Conference/c17ba53e-a9b7-4cbd-8cb1-32c86d2a8a0e

I was listening to it, and you can clearly see and hear Chan's frustration, but I don't think he is going to pull Edwards. It's a repeat of last year. Same Sh*t, different Day.

I think the changes could be coming, however I don't think there's enough time during the season so that it would be effective. Sooooooooo, the next best thing is after the bye-week, week #6.

If you are going to change QBs this is not the week to do it, going into NE* for a very tough game. Let TE get killed again for another week and then, if you want to make the change, go ahead. That at least gives the new QB a chance in his first week to be a spark for the team and not more of the same.

If you are going to change QBs this is not the week to do it, going into NE* for a very tough game. Let TE get killed again for another week and then, if you want to make the change, go ahead. That at least gives the new QB a chance in his first week to be a spark for the team and not more of the same.

Or, at least wait to the bye. It's not like we're going to benefit from throwing in a new QB right now into a new system. We shouldn't expect miracles. Maybe this is just what this team needs, a near winless season?

I have a pretty good idea what another QB (the ones on the roster) will look like, and I think CG does too. I think everyone else does too. It's not gonna help.

Everybody thought the Rams were screwed when Trent Green got injured and they had to play some guy from the arena league. That worked pretty well for them. Same with New England when they were struggling under Bledsoe and then he got hurt, they put in a guy they had drafted in the 6th round and made a dramatic turnaround immediately.

I don't expect the Bills to improve drastically and immediately. But a new QB can make a world of difference in terms of execution, efficiency, confidence and leadership. I want Trent benched and I want Fitz or Brohm under center this week. I would prefer it to be Brohm because I think he has better physical tools and lacks experience.

Edited by Maddog69

It's going to be a long, brutal season on this board. I think we should come up with some sort of hostility rating for fans:

The obvious:

IHR - Internet Hostility Rating

BFAI - Bills' Fan Angst Index

ABFS - Angry Bills' Fan Scale

BFMSM - Bills' Fan Mental Suicide Metric

We're all going to need a sense of humor to get through this year.

:bag::bag::bag::bag: The new cheering squad

Simply put Fred Jackson in the wildcat every play. He throws better than Trent, plus he can run when the OLINE lets the defenders through each play.

I also think we should try hammering with the wildcat. No not every play, but see if a strong dose of it can loosen up the D. Heck I agree Fred's not going to be too much worse than our current crop of QB's (especially for what we'll ask of him).