Kevin Everitt therapeutic hypothermia

GaryPinC

Thought this was a great story,

For those who don't remember Kevin Everitt was the Bills TE/ST player who suffered a serious spinal injury and has had an excellent recovery. At the center of all this was the fact that the treating medical personnel used therapeutic hypothermia to cool his body and aid his recovery. At the time there was much debate as to whether the hypothermia technique had played a role in his recovery or not.

Here's a separate but inspiring story where induced hypothermia saved this boy's life:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39215752/ns/today-today_people/?GT1=43001

The story just made me remember Kevin. Pretty cool stuff. :thumbsup:

Thought this was a great story,

For those who don't remember Kevin Everitt was the Bills TE/ST player who suffered a serious spinal injury and has had an excellent recovery. At the center of all this was the fact that the treating medical personnel used therapeutic hypothermia to cool his body and aid his recovery. At the time there was much debate as to whether the hypothermia technique had played a role in his recovery or not.

Here's a separate but inspiring story where induced hypothermia saved this boy's life:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39215752/ns/today-today_people/?GT1=43001

The story just made me remember Kevin. Pretty cool stuff. :thumbsup:

Theraputic hypothermia was developed by doctors at a Miami hospital with funding help from the Nick Buoniconti foundation. Nick's son was paralyzed while playing high school football. Ralph Wilson is a big supporter of spinal cord research, and the stadium medical facility is one of the few in the NFL that is set up to use the proceedure. Probably saved Kevin's life. At the time, researchers around the country were excited to study the data that came from Kevin's treatment to see if it could be applied in other cases. Sounds like some real good came out of this!

Edited by gobillsinytown

http://www.amazon.com/Standing-Tall-Kevin-Everett-Story/dp/1600781411

I bought this book the day it came out...it is an amazing read...and I especially enjoyed it since I was a Miami Hurricanes fan for most my childhood and I followed Kevin and wanted the Bills to draft him!

I REALLY think he would have developed into a VERY good tight end for this football team!

I am happy he beat the odds and is doing very well! :thumbsup:

People forget that our "cheap-ass" owner gave millions of dollars to the hospital that pioneered that therapy in Miami.

PTR

ralph is cheap

Nothing good ever comes when Ralph meddles. He's cheap and classless... Lou Saban should be on the wall. Argh! He fired Polian.

Oh yeah, he also foolishly stood alone in front of the cameras and explained why he voted down the 2006 CBA.

Newsflash to all the kids on this board: Unlike all of you, Ralph Wilson never will have to pay admission to the Hall of Fame.

As for the story, even though the treatment is real-life medicine, its still an absolute miracle. I am a teacher for special needs pre k (age 3-5) children and I'm still waiting to have a case like this one. I've had many miraculous cases, such as horrendous birth trauma, drug addicted babies, premature babies, and the biggie, students identified as having a developmental delay without any atypical medical history. I'm still waiting for my first case where a student shows a significant delay due to an accident or medical emergency like this kid has had. To be able to relate to Kevin Everett's situation in my professional career would be really awesome. I do have my Bills flag hanging proudly in my classroom, just in case though!