Essentials of being a Bills fan?

southernbill

Ok I'm relatively new to being a Bills fan. To be honest I just wanted to get in to the NFL and every time I tried to pick a team I just kept getting drawn to the bills. For one I think it's the weather, snow is something people like me in the deep south don't deal with much and when I think college football I think SEC when I think NFL I think snow Packers, Bills, Bears ya know. So since I'm jumping on board I want to know what are the essential things all Bills fans should know?

Ok I'm relatively new to being a Bills fan. To be honest I just wanted to get in to the NFL and every time I tried to pick a team I just kept getting drawn to the bills. For one I think it's the weather, snow is something people like me in the deep south don't deal with much and when I think college football I think SEC when I think NFL I think snow Packers, Bills, Bears ya know. So since I'm jumping on board I want to know what are the essential things all Bills fans should know?

This thread will go 30 pages, I guarantee it.

1. don't expect much.

2. expect to get your heart ripped out at least 2xs a year

3. rinse and repeat: means we change coaches every 3.1 years on average

4. wide right has had 2 really bad implications 2 times in our history, try not to use that phrase in connection with this team.

5. the are no miracles, ever.

6. are you sure you want to be a Bills fan? because of snow, snow is cold!!!

7. OJ was a great football player anything about him after football, well it frankly shames us all.

8. The superbowl came to the AFL one year too late.

9. Ralph Wilson isn't cheap and he is responsible for the Bills staying in BFLO for all these years. Anything else you want to say about him is ok.

10. As far as the current Bills it might be a long year but we might improve. This week: try not to judge the team on one game, Trent it is ok with tho.

We lose. A lot. And everyone is bitter about it. No one quite knows who to blame, but people have some pretty good ideas (The Quarterback, the Owner, the Front Office).

The team might move eventually, but it might not, and everyone is very afraid about that, because the owner is very old, and non-committal to any local ownership group.

We have three running backs. One of which who is pretty good, another who will probably some day be outstanding, and a third who was, once upon a time, good, and has lately been not-so-good.

Lee Evans is the #1 Receiver, and no one quite knows if he is actually good enough to be a #1 receiver, or if he hasn't played well because we have had bad quarterbacks.

"Poz" is the anchor of our defense, except he's hurt all of the time, in fact, he's hurt right now. Quick, name a random month and year. He was hurt then, too.

Our Special Teams are actually special. We have an above average kicker in Rian Lindell, one of the best Punter's in the game in Moorman, and an exciting and dynamic return game featuring Roscoe Parrish, CJ Spiller and sometimes Leodis McKelvin.

Ralph Wilson Stadium is notoriously windy and in a perfect spot off the lake for bad weather. So it's very, very important that we run the ball, and do it well. Except we haven't really been doing it as much as you'd think despite it being one of the few things we're good at.

Finally, people at the stadium can be a bit rowdy and ridiculous. With things being bad, there are a lot of belligerent drunks abound. And people on here will tell you it's not okay to wear a certain jersey, to cheer or boo for a certain player, to observe or ignore a particular part of football fan etiquette (I refer to the Bills as "we" for instance), but these people make up a relatively small but squawky section of football fans. For the most part, Bills fans are some of the greatest in the world.

This is the first time in 31 years that I've ever witnessed someone NOT emotionally tied to 'Western New York/Bills draft pick' voluntarily become a fan of the Buffalo Bills.

Good luck with that.... :unsure:

Do you like a challenge? Do you like knowing that people will straight up laugh in your face when you tell who you root for? Do you want to know unfathomable sports misery, with the hope that once, just ONE time you'll feel unbridled elation?

I grew up with the Bills, but I drifted away as I got into my teen years. The hurt was too much, the disappointment and the shame were intolerable. But I came back into the flock because ultimately, being a Bills fan isn't something convenient or easy. Hell, sometimes the only fun you'll have with the Bills is in the parking lot with a fine tailgate (see last Sunday for a prime example of that).

But as Bills fan, you'll always have hope. Yeah it won't seem like much. You'll get disgusted, disappointed, just plain sad most of the time. But you won't care, because you know deep in your heart that, for better or worse, there's nowhere else you'd rather be right here, right now than rooting for that damn team. And who knows? Maybe one day that faith will be rewarded. And it'll mean more to you and a whole community more than you can ever understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PlWZDZboQw&p=15C4404C488AC9BF&playnext=1&index=2

Welcome to the fold. Sticking it out won't be easy, but we're all praying it'll be worth it.

Being a Bills fan is the best for one simple reason:

If and when our time ever comes to win the Superbowl, nobody will ever be able to appreciate it more and enjoy it more thoroughly than Buffalo Bills fans.

And the good thing for you, the new fan, is that the team is still at the bottom and will be there for long enough for you to build up that anticipation too!

One final thought - don't let anyone talk you into defending a Bills quarterback who will not and can not perform at an elite level. Demand justice until the team finds one.

Good luck and enjoy the roller coaster.

alcohol makes them slightly more tolerable

This is the first time in 31 years that I've ever witnessed someone NOT emotionally tied to 'Western New York/Bills draft pick' voluntarily become a fan of the Buffalo Bills.

Good luck with that.... :unsure:

32 years old, born, raised, and never left chicago. . . and the bills are my whole life!! pathetic, i know.

I'll throw in a few more facts about myself the Bills are actually not all that different than College sports to me I'm an Ole Miss alum, we continually find outself in the top 25 in every sport and continually find ways to blow it. Football last year number four only to lose a bunch of games and go unranked most of the season. This year Jacksonville State and their mighty 1AA scholarship limit comes here and beats us,basketball in the top 25 3 of the last 4 years at one point in the season and no NCAA Tourney appearances to show for it. Our baseball team is a top 25 team every year and we have hosted 4 super regionals this decade only to go to 0 College World Series. So as someone on up said one day I hope to have my faith rewarded. I've learned cheering for Ole Miss sometimes it's ok to not cheer for Goliath because when you cheer for David you learn to appreciate the little things more and one bitter sweet day I will get to spend a 1000 bucks on championship gear and wear until the day I die. I'm not a person that jumps from team to team so I don't plan on bailing ship no matter how bad it gets, I just hope one day I can enjoy something great in sports, and if I don't well it will have been a fun ride anyways.

As for the booze google Ole Miss and grove most of us drink a lot to endure sports.

Being Bills fan is like believing in God. You have to have faith above all else. You have to have faith that one day all your suffering and sins will be wiped away and you'll be delivered to heaven (Superbowl). You go to games on Sundays (church), you pray for a miracle (that never happens), you give your tiddings (tickets, merchandise), congregate (tailgate) and sing together (Go Bills).

The only problem is most fans have as good of a chance to go to heaven as the Bills have to win the Superbowl!

So my advice to you is instead of being eternally damned, pick another team, at least if you are going to hell in the end you can experience heaven one Sunday night in February before you go!

I'll throw in a few more facts about myself the Bills are actually not all that different than College sports to me I'm an Ole Miss alum, we continually find outself in the top 25 in every sport and continually find ways to blow it. Football last year number four only to lose a bunch of games and go unranked most of the season. This year Jacksonville State and their mighty 1AA scholarship limit comes here and beats us,basketball in the top 25 3 of the last 4 years at one point in the season and no NCAA Tourney appearances to show for it. Our baseball team is a top 25 team every year and we have hosted 4 super regionals this decade only to go to 0 College World Series. So as someone on up said one day I hope to have my faith rewarded. I've learned cheering for Ole Miss sometimes it's ok to not cheer for Goliath because when you cheer for David you learn to appreciate the little things more and one bitter sweet day I will get to spend a 1000 bucks on championship gear and wear until the day I die. I'm not a person that jumps from team to team so I don't plan on bailing ship no matter how bad it gets, I just hope one day I can enjoy something great in sports, and if I don't well it will have been a fun ride anyways.

As for the booze google Ole Miss and grove most of us drink a lot to endure sports.

Ok so you are a veteran of pain, humiliation and unfettered dissapointment, you are hired. Send Mead a bottle of wine, watch your spelling and grammar, and be please prepare a large plate of Rettatta for the next game (hint, if you start today, it may be ready by Sunday)

Welcome aboard

Edited by Guffalo