Nix and Cornell Green

Gabe Northern

How does the Cornell Green signing impact your opinion of Buddy Nix?

Cornell is making $3 million per year (including roster bonuses) yet no other team showed interest and the Raiders were eager to replace him. He's 34 years old and is not getting any better. This is a terrible decision in terms of the quality of the player and the financial impact to the team.

He is clearly much worse than Jonathan Scott, who we could have retained for an $850K tender. More amazingly, he is the worst player on an offensive line that was already the worst in football.

The Nix devotees on this board need to take this colossal personnel failure into account when talking about how this guy is going to rebuild the roster.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cornell is making $3 million per year (including roster bonuses) yet no other team showed interest and the Raiders were eager to replace him. He's 34 years old and is not getting any better. This is a terrible decision in terms of the quality of the player and the financial impact to the team.

He is clearly much worse than Jonathan Scott, who we could have retained for an $850K tender. More amazingly, he is the worst player on an offensive line that was already the worst in football.

The Nix devotees on this board need to take this colossal personnel failure into account when talking about how this guy is going to rebuild the roster.

He already lost me with the drafting of a RB in the first round.

Green was a quick fix after Butler announced his retirement. So far, Green does look like a royal bust, if he is, then it's on Nix. But does one player so far make him a bad GM? Even the great GM's don't hit on every player. Look at Tony Ugoh in Indy. Does that mean Polian is a bad GM?

Green was a quick fix after Butler announced his retirement. So far, Green does look like a royal bust, if he is, then it's on Nix. But does one player so far make him a bad GM? Even the great GM's don't hit on every player. Look at Tony Ugoh in Indy. Does that mean Polian is a bad GM?

IIRC Scott was still out there when Green was brought in as a "high profile" FA signing.

IIRC Scott was still out there when Green was brought in as a "high profile" FA signing.

Not trying to defend Nix, but he said he doesn't like to bring in "high profile" players. If Green plays this pathetic the rest of the way, he'll be out of here at the end of the season. Green was only going to be a stop-gap at RT, until Nix could draft one.

So true. Lets look at Nixs record so far:

Cornell Green-worst free agent signing in years

Spiller- luxury pick we couldnt afford, already had 2 starters + Bell

QB-Does nothing to upgrade worst QB in NFL and hated by fans, not respected by the players

OT- Does nothing, besides Cornhole, to improve position, actually by cutting Scott made it worse

OLB-no improvement, Kelsay? Really?

Nix made this team worse his first year.

If we started a poll on this board to determine our draft, free agents and cuts i think we'd do a better job than Nix, cant do any worse.

I love reading this board, you got to be kidding. He forgot more about football than 50 posters on this board combined and you want US run the team?

Unbilleivable You don't read the board if you think that.

Edited by bowery4

Green was brought in as a stop gap because of Butlers departure , but if you all would pay attention to other blogs besides this one, Buddy & Chan are always looking to upgrade any position .

If you would have listened to Buddy at the MMQB yesterday you would realize that is why they brought in Urbik . (always looking to upgrade)

He was also on the 2009 draft board rated as 1 of the 3 highest lineman on the Bills board , so with that being said seeing as they signed Urbik off of a practice squad and he will more than likely be payed league minimum until he proves himself (& he is still a youngster) what they would have payed for a more notable FA will be about the same as paying Green & Urbik.

You guys have lived in N.Y. way to long you've got to start looking for the silver lining instead of doom & gloom all the time . LIGHTEN UP !! :nana:

GO BILLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by T master

Green was brought in as a stop gap because of Butlers departure , but if you all would pay attention to other blogs besides this one, Buddy & Chan are always looking to upgrade any position .

And so far, their method to improve the team have come by scouring the waiver wires and practice squads of other teams. Yet, we haven't seen those guys cracking the lineup other than in emergency situations. Is Cornell Green really that much better than Jamon Meredith? Yes, Urbick is an interesting prospect, but getting cut by Pitt, which also has a bad OL isn't inspiring confidence.

They also said that the best way to build a team is through the draft. Hard to argue with the logic ... except that if you do that, you better have a higher hit ratio on those draft picks.

People love Nix's straighforward demeanor. But the early results aren't as colorful as his tongue.

So true. Lets look at Nixs record so far:

Cornell Green-worst free agent signing in years

Spiller- luxury pick we couldnt afford, already had 2 starters + Bell

QB-Does nothing to upgrade worst QB in NFL and hated by fans, not respected by the players

OT- Does nothing, besides Cornhole, to improve position, actually by cutting Scott made it worse

OLB-no improvement, Kelsay? Really?

Nix made this team worse his first year.

If we started a poll on this board to determine our draft, free agents and cuts i think we'd do a better job than Nix, cant do any worse.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I gotta agree with you.

It's always refreshing to see a bunch of anonymous internet experts criticizing the choices of guys that have spent their entire live around football. You remind me of the screaming dads at little league games. Always hoping that your son will succeed where you failed so miserably.

They're not succeeding either.

It's a 16 game season. Some of these posts sound like January posts.

I can't blame Nix for wanting to see what he had on his roster. They have alot invested in Kelsay, Stroud, Ellis, Edwards and others. Why not watch them over a 16 game season before cutting bait because you just don't know. I suspect you'll have HUGE roster turnover over the next 2 years.

It's a 16 game season. Some of these posts sound like January posts.

I can't blame Nix for wanting to see what he had on his roster. They have alot invested in Kelsay, Stroud, Ellis, Edwards and others. Why not watch them over a 16 game season before cutting bait because you just don't know. I suspect you'll have HUGE roster turnover over the next 2 years.

Why not watch some film of their past work? Why not bring in some guys the new staff is familiar with? (Oh wait, Gailey hasn't been a head coach in the NFL in over a decade.)

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

I love reading this board, you got to be kidding. He forgot more about football than 50 posters on this board combined and you want US run the team?

Unbilleivable You don't read the board if you think that.

Dude, you have a poodle for an avatar and continue to use "unbillievable" Try spellcheck

Why not watch some film of their past work? Why not bring in some guys the new staff is familiar with? (Oh wait, Gailey hasn't been a head coach in the NFL in over a decade.)

Because you have no film on them in their current system under the current (read "any") coaching. Have they seen Kelsay at LB? Stroud at LDE ina 3-4? I'm not supporting these players because I think they are all gone soon enough, but you can't kill Nix for taking a look at them, especially when he has nothing to replace them with.

I love how these board geniuses think this can be done in 1 year. If we just woulda drafted a starting QB, 2 OTs, and 4 LBs, we'd be a lot better off than with Spiller and Kelsay. I know it sucks, but it's going to be another 2 seasons of good drafts and expiring contracts before this team really competes.

Because you have no film on them in their current system under the current (read "any") coaching. Have they seen Kelsay at LB? Stroud at LDE ina 3-4? I'm not supporting these players because I think they are all gone soon enough, but you can't kill Nix for taking a look at them, especially when he has nothing to replace them with.

I love how these board geniuses think this can be done in 1 year. If we just woulda drafted a starting QB, 2 OTs, and 4 LBs, we'd be a lot better off than with Spiller and Kelsay. I know it sucks, but it's going to be another 2 seasons of good drafts and expiring contracts before this team really competes.

No offense, but after seeing Kelsay at 4-3 DE last 5 years, how would anyone think that he would be ok as OLB in a 3-4?

Very few people focused on Gailey's comments on switching to a 3-4. He said that the reason he did it is that in his observation of the roster, he felt that the talent was more condusive for a 3-4. Then they go ahead and draft entirely for defense, even though the talent at hand was better suited for a 3-4? The story doesn't wash with the actions.

That's why the thread "Why not clean for real" makes esnse. If you're committed to rebuilding, then do it right. Why continue with the charade that Kelsay has a spot on this revamped roster? You can look equally pathetic with project rookies that can hopefully grow into the new system that you're putting in.