All things considered...I'm pretty pleased with today's game

ropeerasers

Or at least as pleased as I can be with a loss. Honestly, I'm like everyone else and would much rather see a win where the offense dominated and where all the concerns about the QB and O-line were magically wiped away. But the chances of that becoming a reality were always minute given the recent history of this team.

What I find reassuring about the game, though, was the fact that both the defense (especially the run defense) and special teams performed far greater than expected based on how they looked during the preseason. Even the optimistic among us, myself included, thought the best case scenario based on preseason was having a competent offense while struggling in other phases because of coaching and scheme changes.

I, for one, am glad that didn't ultimately become the reality simply because of the offensive focus of this coaching staff. Rome wasn't built in the night, and years of incompetent offensive coaching won't be erased by week one of the first season under the new regime. In all likelihood, this offense is going to improve as the season progresses. Whether that progress happens with Trent under center is yet to be seen, but the point is we now know that when the offense gets up to speed it will be accompanied by decent defense and special teams.

If we can follow this trajectory, we won't be elite in any of the three phases, but we'll be competitive in each. When was the last time you remember that being the case?

I know a lot of you probably disagree with the assessment of the defense because of the lack of a pass rush, but I think all the players who switched positions will learn and grow more instinctive in their new roles. And when we get Torbor and Ayodele in the swing of things, the coaching staff will likely feel more comfortable in getting creative with exotic blitzing schemes.

I recognize a lot of this sounds like rationalizing, but at the same time I don't think any of it sounds unreasonable.

While I greatly overestimated the Bills going into this Game what I think I did get right was the fact that Miami is overrated...I think we'll see how much the next couple weeks when The Bills get absolutely pounded by "real" good Teams...

Hope I'm wrong though... B-)

Or at least as pleased as I can be with a loss. Honestly, I'm like everyone else and would much rather see a win where the offense dominated and where all the concerns about the QB and O-line were magically wiped away. But the chances of that becoming a reality were always minute given the recent history of this team.

What I find reassuring about the game, though, was the fact that both the defense (especially the run defense) and special teams performed far greater than expected based on how they looked during the preseason. Even the optimistic among us, myself included, thought the best case scenario based on preseason was having a competent offense while struggling in other phases because of coaching and scheme changes.

I, for one, am glad that didn't ultimately become the reality simply because of the offensive focus of this coaching staff. Rome wasn't built in the night, and years of incompetent offensive coaching won't be erased by week one of the first season under the new regime. In all likelihood, this offense is going to improve as the season progresses. Whether that progress happens with Trent under center is yet to be seen, but the point is we now know that when the offense gets up to speed it will be accompanied by decent defense and special teams.

If we can follow this trajectory, we won't be elite in any of the three phases, but we'll be competitive in each. When was the last time you remember that being the case?

I know a lot of you probably disagree with the assessment of the defense because of the lack of a pass rush, but I think all the players who switched positions will learn and grow more instinctive in their new roles. And when we get Torbor and Ayodele in the swing of things, the coaching staff will likely feel more comfortable in getting creative with exotic blitzing schemes.

I recognize a lot of this sounds like rationalizing, but at the same time I don't think any of it sounds unreasonable.

Wait a min..

Here's the problem. So many people were saying what you are saying in the Bledsoe yrs. It will

be 11 years since we last made the playoffs. As long as people buy the seats, jersey's, drink the

cool-aid so to speak, this will go on forever. This does not go down in other cities, don't make the

playoffs in other cities...and they clean out the "ENTIRE OFFICE". No ex players from glory days of yore.

For the amount of money we pay to watch professional football.....we still don't get "PROFESSIONAL" football.

What I witnessed today was an embarassment. And I am sick of being embrassed.

0-16 two seasons in a row and we'll be cheering them into the Superbowl the next year. That's how it is. If they win 6-8 games they'll never get over the hump. Why we want them to be mediocre when they can just SUCK is beyond me. Get the bags out and be proud to wear them, is what I say.

Ah.... I was beginning to worry, because there didn't seem to be any delusional types saying that it wasn't that bad of a game. Thanks! Now I know I'm still in the world of Bills Fans. I am sincere when I say that we need the great diversity we have on the Stadium Wall. People who believe lightning could strike and the team could go all the way, those who keep following the team even though they keep chanting that it sucks, and everyone in between. I consider it free entertainment, a little therapy and even psychology 101. I can't wait until the team wins one game they shouldn't have, so the fanatical supporters can crow that we are "improving" and Chan's system is starting to work. Pay no attention to those who comment that we must "love 'em or leave 'em," and likewise forget about those who announce that they are quitting this forum. These people are missing the point of having a chat room.

p.s. - I hope you are right.

While I greatly overestimated the Bills going into this Game what I think I did get right was the fact that Miami is overrated...I think we'll see how much the next couple weeks when The Bills get absolutely pounded by "real" good Teams...

Hope I'm wrong though... B-)

You're all high. There was nothing positive today...Not one thing. It was as if someone put in a video of The Miami and San Fran game from 2008 just to name two garbage performances reminiscient of today. Nothing good happened today. We sucked in every componenet, especially coaching. Yes Miami is overrated, they are average, but what the Bills do is get teams to play down to them, bringing the other teams into a slow funk, while keeping it close and then the Bills attempt to steal one in the end. It rarely to never works, in fact its not NFL quality football/entertainment either, but it keeps you watching and hopeful until game's end where you are ultimately let down once again by this bunch of losers. If I didnt know better I would have sworn Jauron was still in there calling the plays. That was deplorable.

Wait a min..

Here's the problem. So many people were saying what you are saying in the Bledsoe yrs. It will

be 11 years since we last made the playoffs. As long as people buy the seats, jersey's, drink the

cool-aid so to speak, this will go on forever. This does not go down in other cities, don't make the

playoffs in other cities...and they clean out the "ENTIRE OFFICE". No ex players from glory days of yore.

For the amount of money we pay to watch professional football.....we still don't get "PROFESSIONAL" football.

I understand the emotional response, but this team wasn't going to come out for the opener and all of a sudden by the a Superbowl team.

Yes, people have hoped for improvements in the past that didn't pan out. Every other team in the league has gone through that at some point. I know it's been a long stretch of inept football, but that's not going to change overnight. True there are plenty of worst to first stories, but those are still the exception not the rule. And I don't think this particular team was/is set up to be one of those teams no matter how much I'd hope for it.

So you're left with two possible scenarios:

A) You hope for the team to improve this season, draft well next season then seriously compete in a year or two.

or

B) Give up.

Feel free to do the latter, but I'm not to that point yet.

Yah, awesome game man, I'm psyched! :thumbsup:

The offense is terrible, and will stay terrible all season because our QB and tackles are terrible.

Ah.... I was beginning to worry, because there didn't seem to be any delusional types saying that it wasn't that bad of a game. Thanks! Now I know I'm still in the world of Bills Fans. I am sincere when I say that we need the great diversity we have on the Stadium Wall. People who believe lightning could strike and the team could go all the way, those who keep following the team even though they keep chanting that it sucks, and everyone in between. I consider it free entertainment, a little therapy and even psychology 101. I can't wait until the team wins one game they shouldn't have, so the fanatical supporters can crow that we are "improving" and Chan's system is starting to work. Pay no attention to those who comment that we must "love 'em or leave 'em," and likewise forget about those who announce that they are quitting this forum. These people are missing the point of having a chat room.

p.s. - I hope you are right.

I don't think what I'm saying is any more delusional than thinking one loss automatically equates to picking first in next years draft. I DO NO think this is a championship or playoff contending team. I'm saying that the phases other than the offense were average to good. Our coaching choice this offseason had an obvious offensive bent, so it's not completely unreasonable to think that that phase will improve with more time in one way or another.

Despite the closeness of the score, I'm not really happy with the game at all.

The score was close, but Henne sucked out loud and the Phins WRs were dropping passes all day. The secondary did play well, and maybe they caused those mistakes, but I get the feeling that if the Bills were playing a better team, the score would have been worse.

Also, the Dolphins DBs dropped two pick-sixes, which would have put the game further out of reach.

Even with that though, the score was close, but yet again the Bills did nothing to take control of the game. They completely blew the opportunity to win a winnable game. This has been the script for the Bills the last 10 years, especially in the division.

And finally, there was the gameplan. The Bills had two strong runners on the roster, but decided to draft a stud running back, and yet only managed 17 rushes? The Bills could have a dynamic inside/outside rushing game, and yet our coach channeled his inner Mularkey and built a gameplan around Trent Edwards in the shotgun.

My guess is that the Bills would be a better team with a run-first mentality. I'm not sure, though, if the coach is willing to gameplan around that strategy.

The fact that we have to wait another week to see if Gailey is willing to run 30-40 times a game is disappointing.

Wait a min..

Right on. It is inconceivable that a team can be mediocre to bad for 11 consecutive seasons and thus not bottom out or advance to the playoffs. Fans forget that SD took a full 3 seasons (and 4 off-seasons) to become the talent laden team the are. This rebuilding will be no different. Buffalo wasted 4 entire seasons under wimpy DJ and predictably bad management from Marv Levy and Russ Brandon in the GM role. 2010 is those bad decisions coming to the surface.

What we as Bills fans watch on game days is not close to being even average NFL football. It's actually to the point of becoming sad, especially when you factor in the very uncertain future of the team with a soon to be 92 year old owner. The rebuild has begun, and they don't yet have a NFL QB, LT, RT, or enough pass rush.

You're all high. There was nothing positive today...Not one thing. It was as if someone put in a video of The Miami and San Fran game from 2008 just to name two garbage performances reminiscient of today. Nothing good happened today. We sucked in every componenet, especially coaching. Yes Miami is overrated, they are average, but what the Bills do is get teams to play down to them, bringing the other teams into a slow funk, while keeping it close and then the Bills attempt to steal one in the end. It rarely to never works, in fact its not NFL quality football/entertainment either, but it keeps you watching and hopeful until game's end where you are ultimately let down once again by this bunch of losers. If I didnt know better I would have sworn Jauron was still in there calling the plays. That was deplorable.

Seriously...Is reading comprehension a problem for you? You respond to my post saying everyone is high then you go on to elaborate, with many more words, pretty much exactly what I wrote...

I said Miami was overrated only to point out we would get pounded vs. better Teams...How is that being high when your point is basically the exact same?

Just saying...Read... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS