All things considered...I'm pretty pleased with today's game

ropeerasers

Or at least as pleased as I can be with a loss. Honestly, I'm like everyone else and would much rather see a win where the offense dominated and where all the concerns about the QB and O-line were magically wiped away. But the chances of that becoming a reality were always minute given the recent history of this team.

What I find reassuring about the game, though, was the fact that both the defense (especially the run defense) and special teams performed far greater than expected based on how they looked during the preseason. Even the optimistic among us, myself included, thought the best case scenario based on preseason was having a competent offense while struggling in other phases because of coaching and scheme changes.

I, for one, am glad that didn't ultimately become the reality simply because of the offensive focus of this coaching staff. Rome wasn't built in the night, and years of incompetent offensive coaching won't be erased by week one of the first season under the new regime. In all likelihood, this offense is going to improve as the season progresses. Whether that progress happens with Trent under center is yet to be seen, but the point is we now know that when the offense gets up to speed it will be accompanied by decent defense and special teams.

If we can follow this trajectory, we won't be elite in any of the three phases, but we'll be competitive in each. When was the last time you remember that being the case?

I know a lot of you probably disagree with the assessment of the defense because of the lack of a pass rush, but I think all the players who switched positions will learn and grow more instinctive in their new roles. And when we get Torbor and Ayodele in the swing of things, the coaching staff will likely feel more comfortable in getting creative with exotic blitzing schemes.

I recognize a lot of this sounds like rationalizing, but at the same time I don't think any of it sounds unreasonable.

I thought this game would have eliminated the few remaining cockroaches but alas, the queen has shown her face to the board. Looks like we'll need industrial strength Raid for this one. Good thing I just picked up a giant can of 'Bills 0-6, Industrial Strength Homer Eliminator' to use. That should do it!

pfffftttt.....pffffttttt

DIE DIE DIE!

rope erasers you have some stones to stand out in front of the crazies like this. I agree with you. The loss wasn't as bad as the crazies are making it out to be. The game was lost in the trenches as the run game was shut down and Edwards was stepping up and then running for his life. All we can hope for is progress from game to game. I think that is all you can expect.

If the season does not pan out well, you then have a chance to draft high and get a LT or QB, otherwise things are developing in one way or another.

Yes Miami is overrated, they are average, but what the Bills do is get teams to play down to them, bringing the other teams into a slow funk, while keeping it close and then the Bills attempt to steal one in the end. It rarely to never works, in fact its not NFL quality football/entertainment either, but it keeps you watching and hopeful until game's end where you are ultimately let down once again by this bunch of losers. If I didnt know better I would have sworn Jauron was still in there calling the plays. That was deplorable.

Surprisingly few fans understand this. It is the definition of "playing not to lose". The Bills statistical rankings offensively and defensively for the past 4 seasons are reflective of a very bad team. The kind of team that wins 2-3 games, not 6 or 7 like they have been winning.

By simply being extremely cautious with the football on offense and conceding the small gains on defense, they have been able to keep scores down against bad to mediocre teams. Putting them in position to win them late. The approach is an utter failure againt good teams, evidenced by Jauron's horrendous record against teams with winning records.

It has also become increasingly harder to pull off this approach when the team subtracts three capable pass blockers in LT Peters, LG Dockery and RT Walker last season, and then big play game sealer Terrell Owens this season. You can't just keep subtracting and expect to get better without actually adding better players. Bell and Green are not in the same area code talent-wise as Peters/Walker circa 2008. The same with Steve Johnson versus last years version of TO. Whether people hate these former Bills or not, the reality is the this team is not as skilled as those that put up 6 and 7 wins respecitvely in 2009 and 2008.

0-16 two seasons in a row and we'll be cheering them into the Superbowl the next year. That's how it is. If they win 6-8 games they'll never get over the hump. Why we want them to be mediocre when they can just SUCK is beyond me. Get the bags out and be proud to wear them, is what I say.

Hmm.. that never seems to work for the Lions, though.