The big boys afraid to play Boise St?

Cynical

My link

There’s been some bold talk this week out of the Boise State camp of supporters. Nobody in a big-boy conference will play Boise. You think that you can beat the Broncos? Give them a call. We dare you.

Nebraska called. Nebraska tried.

In the past year, NU tried to put together a series with BSU; two-for-one, home-and-home, one-way trip to Lincoln. Whatever. It ended up fizzling out. Why?

Because, according to NU Assistant Athletic Director Jeff Jamrog, Boise wanted a minimum $1 million to play in Lincoln.

Geez, no wonder the Broncos can’t get anyone to play them. Pay Boise State $1 million to come to your town? Sorry, don’t want it that bad.

As somewhat of a comparison:

Alabama vs. Penn State: home and home series

- Visitor is guaranteed $200K and 5300 tickets

Alabama is getting $200K and 6200 tickets to play @ Duke on the 18th

GA State is getting $435K to play @ Tuscaloosa

For some reason I just generally hate Boise St. Maybe it's all of the talk about them, I don't know. If they played in the SEC, Big 12, or Big 10 they wouldn't be anything that special. So what they beat VT. No one knew what kind of defense or offensive line that VT would have after losing the starters they lost. I was not impressed, except by the confidence of their QB. I hope they lose, more than once, so they can't even sniff a BCS bowl. This story makes me dislike them even more.

One question...Boise St gets a bad rap for having 2-3 tough games and the rest cakewalks. Why does Notre Dame get a free pass for essentially having the same schedule breakdown?

I hate Notre Dame as much as the next guy, but they could play a schedule entirely of cellar dweller Big Ten teams and their schedule would be > than BSU.

At this point, I actually think Notre Dame's schedule is pretty solid. They have 4-5 games left on their schedule that could be losses...including tomorrow against MSU.

One question...Boise St gets a bad rap for having 2-3 tough games and the rest cakewalks. Why does Notre Dame get a free pass for essentially having the same schedule breakdown?

:rolleyes:

Dude, I'm finding all your ND knocks today...you're nuts.

1. Find me a reputable SOS ranker that puts ND's schedule below Boise St.

2. I'll agree that our schedule THIS year is weaker than normal. You can thank our whore of a former-AD who thought pillaging small schools for cash was an honorable scheduling method. But we've already inked deals with OU, Miami AND Texas for future home-and-homes.

3. Despite our weak schedule, we:

a. Opened our schedule with SIX consecutive BCS-conference opponents. No JV-warmups. No Sisters of the Poor. No Samford.

b. Have played or will play teams currently ranked at: 13 (Utah), 17 (Stanford), 22 (Michigan), 23 (Michigan St.), 29 (Pitt) and 34 (Boston College).

I could go on and on. Pick a different "I Hate ND" battle... :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason I just generally hate Boise St. Maybe it's all of the talk about them, I don't know. If they played in the SEC, Big 12, or Big 10 they wouldn't be anything that special. So what they beat VT. No one knew what kind of defense or offensive line that VT would have after losing the starters they lost. I was not impressed, except by the confidence of their QB. I hope they lose, more than once, so they can't even sniff a BCS bowl. This story makes me dislike them even more.

I might be able to buy that if Texas actually beat anyone last year. What were their best wins: a controversial quasi-home game vs. a so-so Nebraska team? A neutral field win vs. a Bradfordless Oklahoma team that couldn't beat BYU at home? And you're nitpicking about a road win @VT? Sure Boise's conference isn't on the BCS level but I mean c'mon - all of these conferences outside of the SEC suck.

I might be able to buy that if Texas actually beat anyone last year. What were their best wins: a controversial quasi-home game vs. a so-so Nebraska team? A neutral field win vs. a Bradfordless Oklahoma team that couldn't beat BYU at home? And you're nitpicking about a road win @VT? Sure Boise's conference isn't on the BCS level but I mean c'mon - all of these conferences outside of the SEC suck.

The SEC is so damn overrated. They have the best team in the country, sure, but what about the rest of the conference? Georgia and UT are nothing. UF is a big question mark. LSU is sketchy at best. SC and Auburn have played decent, but thats about it. The SEC is NOT head and shoulders above as everyone else like the SEC fans would like to have everyone else believe.

By my count, they've got 1 great team, 1 really good team, and a couple more decent teams. Thats nothing more than most of the other conferences.

The SEC is so damn overrated. They have the best team in the country, sure, but what about the rest of the conference? Georgia and UT are nothing. UF is a big question mark. LSU is sketchy at best. SC and Auburn have played decent, but thats about it. The SEC is NOT head and shoulders above as everyone else like the SEC fans would like to have everyone else believe.

By my count, they've got 1 great team, 1 really good team, and a couple more decent teams. Thats nothing more than most of the other conferences.

Further, far from being "head and shoulders" above the rest of the country, I don't even see how the SEC is definitively better than the PAC-10. Stanford is tough as nails, Arizona is holding it down and I think Oregon might be the best team in the country. I'd love to see them matched up with any of the SEC's finest.

• 3 weeks later...

Further, far from being "head and shoulders" above the rest of the country, I don't even see how the SEC is definitively better than the PAC-10. Stanford is tough as nails, Arizona is holding it down and I think Oregon might be the best team in the country. I'd love to see them matched up with any of the SEC's finest.

Word is that Navy is looking to keep ND on their schedule next season as a cupcake game.

Edited by Ramius

Word is that Navy is looking to keep ND on their schedule next season as a cupcake game.

:w00t: !@#$ you! :devil:

That was, without a doubt, one of the least enjoyable sporting events I've ever watched. It was the least enjoyable (BY FAR) of the weekend and that included my favorite baseball team (Phils) choking away another WS chance and the Bills blowing it in another vintage 'rip your heart out' fashion.

I'd rather watch Denard Robinson run for 700 yards against us than ever, ever see a service academy absolutely manhandle us like we are a high school team. Not one player on Navy's 1st team would crack our starting lineup and yet they outschemed, outhustled, outmanned and outplayed us. It was vomit-inducing and terrible.

On topic, the way I heard it, Boise had to one game to pencil in and both Va. Tech and Nebraska were offering. Va. Tech offered more money, and at the time was considered a more prestigious opponent.

Go back and re-read my first 2 posts.

Ole Miss is coughing up 900k to play BSU in 2011.

Bottom line. If BSU was serious about building the credibility of its football program, they would have figured out a way to play Nebraska.

Maybe they couldn't have done it this year or even next year. But what's stopping BSU from scheduling the games 2-4 years, or longer, from now?

And don't tell me schools don't do that. Bama was scheduled to play Georgia Tech in 2012 and 2013 (IIRC). This past summer, GT noticed they had a scheduling snafu, and asked Bama to put the games on hold. Bama agreed. Last week, it was announced the games were re-scheduled for 2019-2020.

Yes, you read that right. Nine and ten years from now.

I can give you more examples if you want.

Edited by Cynical

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.