What Happened 30 years ago today?

I love those uni's. I wasn't at that game but I remember it quite well, listening to it on the radio.

The one thing that still iritates the hell out of me with the NFL is the fact that they have eliminated the Labor Day weekend games. I loved going to the Home Opener on Labor Day Sunday and having that Monday off. It always was one of the best weekends of the year just because being able to do family things on Saturday and Monday and still have your Football Sunday sandwiched in between.

Bring back opening weekend to the first weekend of September.

30 Years ago on this day, we beat the Miami Dolphins for the first time in 10 years (20 straight games) 4 takeaways by Jeff Nixon,3 interceptions and a fumble recovery! :worthy:

youtube.com/watch?v=IbiRjRu0Fuc

We will beat the Patriots this year....wishful thinking.... :o)

So true. The calls were horrendous when playing Miami in those days, worse even than playing NE* nowadays. Remember the time Ralph Wilson kicked down the officials door after a game to personally complain to the officials.

But being on that field after the game was something none of us that were there will ever forget. I only have a piece of the net (that is used behind the goalposts for field goals) but I still treasure that. The interception and long TD return by LB Isaiah Robertson for the final TD was an amazing play.

My father has told me the story about one game against Miami in the 70's where a referee made a horrible call that cost the Bills the game. He says that Ralph vowed that if that official ever worked another Bills game that he wouldn't allow his team to take the field, but I haven't ever been able to find confirmation that Ralph ever said such a thing. In today's NFL something like that would be grounds for a substantial fine.

My father has told me the story about one game against Miami in the 70's where a referee made a horrible call that cost the Bills the game. He says that Ralph vowed that if that official ever worked another Bills game that he wouldn't allow his team to take the field, but I haven't ever been able to find confirmation that Ralph ever said such a thing. In today's NFL something like that would be grounds for a substantial fine.

The game your father is refering to is the Buffalo-Miami game when Mercury Morris fumbled the ball and Buffalo was called for "Roughing the offical" as the player, Pat Tomay dived for the ball. Also Morris was ruled down yet the replay clearly showed he fumbled well before.

That my Friend was the Biggest B.S. game in Buffalo History

Edited by Another Point of View

Younger fans have no idea how torturous those 10 years were. The Bills lost in every conceivable manner. And Phish players just laughed. Zero for the 70’s is the one major reason why I'll always hate the phish – and more than any other team.

I completely agree with you. The Superbowl years were difficult, but surviving the beatdown of the 70's was even more tortuous. We lost to everyone, not just the fish. It was down right embarrassing to be a Bills fan.

The game your father is refering to is the Buffalo-Miami game when Mercury Morris fumbled the ball and Buffalo was called for "Roughing the offical" as the player, Pat Tomay dived for the ball. Also Morris was ruled down yet the replay clearly showed he fumbled well before.

That my Friend was the Biggest B.S. game in Buffalo History

I remember that game. I and every fan wanted to kill that ref that day.

I was at that game. It was like a huge weight was released from our shoulders after having gone 0-20 against them in the 1970's. I also made it on the field after the game.

FWIW, I also lucky enough to be at the game in 1983 when we beat them in the Orange Bowl for the first time since the 1960's. That was a lot of fun. Fergy had a great game that day.

I may be wrong but I believe that the Bills came closest to beating the Dolphins during their undefeated season. 24-23 or something like that. There were a couple of games when some unbelievably bad calls went for the Dolphins. The Bills were bad in those days but at their worst against Miami. Miami did have some good teams. One year the Bills were shut out twice in one season by the Baltimore Colts. It was so frustrating. Then Orenthal came along but the Bills still couldn't beat them. It was Coach Knox that finally got them. Nice hat trick by Jeff Nixon! The rivalry is still there but like most it would be better if both teams were competitive. Brian Cox and Louis Oliver added fire to the pot. However, the best part was the added competition between Kelly and Marino.

There is also bad call history with the Patriots especially the one in about '98 when the officials lost track of downs after one play and mismarked the ball on another.

I believe that you are correct that we came the closest to beating them during their undefeated season.

I may be wrong but I believe that the Bills came closest to beating the Dolphins during their undefeated season. 24-23 or something like that. There were a couple of games when some unbelievably bad calls went for the Dolphins. The Bills were bad in those days but at their worst against Miami. Miami did have some good teams. One year the Bills were shut out twice in one season by the Baltimore Colts. It was so frustrating. Then Orenthal came along but the Bills still couldn't beat them. It was Coach Knox that finally got them. Nice hat trick by Jeff Nixon! The rivalry is still there but like most it would be better if both teams were competitive. Brian Cox and Louis Oliver added fire to the pot. However, the best part was the added competition between Kelly and Marino.

There is also bad call history with the Patriots especially the one in about '98 when the officials lost track of downs after one play and mismarked the ball on another.

As I mentioned last week:

Besides my first game, that was the first "never forget game" in my Bills fandom.

...and I got that feeling we might do it again.

:thumbsup:

I had been to about a dozen games before that, but, that was the game that cemented the Buffalo Bills as my favorite pastime. It was surreal to be there...I had been braught up to hate Miami, and to this day, I still have an automatic to any sports team, college or pro, from Florida...all because of this hatred for the Dolphins...I can't wait until Sunday.... Bills/Dolphins is the peak for me!