Time to "fess up"

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that when Pat Williams left the Bills he was pretty much done, and I thought that Rob Johnson was going to be a great quarterback. I saw him play in college and couldn't believe that he wasn't drafted sooner. :D:bag::oops:

But folks, it's all about experience. Watching RJ suck despite all of his tools made it easier to recognize just how bad Losman was. It isn't all about arm strength, or any other single factor.

QBs are not my forte. I have missed on many, although I knew that Hasselbeck was going to be very good when I saw him at Green Bay. The guy I am liking now is Ryan Mallett. People who have read my posts for more than a decade know how much value I place on blockers, but I would draft this kid in a heartbeat even before a LT. He throws 50 yard post patterns with no air under them, and does so without really having to step into the throw. This is barely possible. But, going by my record of rating qbs he will probably bust out. :blink:

No one in Buffalo thought Pat Williams would last this long nor that he was worth the money Minnesota paid for him.

Letting him walk and Will Wolford walk are the two biggest FA losses in the history of the franchise. The league let the Colts screw the Bills on the Wolford deal. The Bills should have locked him up long before it got to that point.

I thought that when Pat Williams left the Bills he was pretty much done, and I thought that Rob Johnson was going to be a great quarterback. I saw him play in college and couldn't believe that he wasn't drafted sooner. :D:bag::oops:

But folks, it's all about experience. Watching RJ suck despite all of his tools made it easier to recognize just how bad Losman was. It isn't all about arm strength, or any other single factor.

QBs are not my forte. I have missed on many, although I knew that Hasselbeck was going to be very good when I saw him at Green Bay. The guy I am liking now is Ryan Mallett. People who have read my posts for more than a decade know how much value I place on blockers, but I would draft this kid in a heartbeat even before a LT. He throws 50 yard post patterns with no air under them, and does so without really having to step into the throw. This is barely possible. But, going by my record of rating qbs he will probably bust out. :blink:

A word of caution to someone (you) who has an understanding on how to build a team, starting with the lines and then moving out. Don't be enamored with Mallett's tools. The most important attribute associated with success for a qb in the NFL has more to do with the neck up. Of course, you have to have adequate tools. Leinhart has demonstrated that you can't overcome not having a strong enough arm can.

Until the OL is upgraded you are squandering the talents of your skill positions. The Bills need to get that upgraded, one way or another, and then build from there. It may not be sexy to the fanbase but it is the foundation where sustained success happens.

Don't get me wrong. If you have an opportunity to get a Bradford, Manning (both brothers) or Rivers you seize the moment. If not, then work on the bulk items and then go to the sleek items.

Edited by JohnC

To date I have been content to accept this as a football fan site. After digesting this thread, taking a good honest look in the mirror and subsequently executing a scathing and fearless assessment of my own relative moral inventory, I must come clean. Much like the whispered sounds of contrition are met with an initial reluctance, the requisite keystrokes for this, my personal day of reckoning, come with considerable internal strife. But, I can no longer live this lie.

Please forgive me oh great pure and righteous OP, but I have taken part in the frivolous liberties associated with free thought. It is true... I have sinned. As recently as Thursday of the week just passed, I entertained an impure thought inclusive of a linebacking corps sans Kawika Mitchell. I only request that my penance be carried out in a swift and forceful manner, lest I forget this lesson of accountability. Act now and spare me from that inevitable downward spiral where I always seem to tumble back through Alice's (tramp) looking glass, and into a tawdry place where accountability is a silly word that is seldom applied to whimsical pursuits. Do it now...

I'll admit it. This thread is a bit negative but I think it's necessary.

The lack of accountability that people have for their stated positions and their crusades is truly amazing.

Recall the clamor and hysteria of some of the posters here as we got closer to cut down day. The din was deafening. At one time two weeks ago, we had 5 different threads about the quarterback situation on page one alone.

Lots of our members were just totally adamant AND VOCAL about what they thought was going to happen/what they wanted to have happen to the Bills roster (the two often get confused in some people's minds).

Those same people are conspicuous by their silence now…especially on matters such as which quarterbacks would made the roster.

So who said what and where are those people now?

I remember more than a few guarantees that Kawika Mitchell was going to get cut. Ditto for Chris Kelsay.

Where are all those folks who were positive that Levi Brown was gonna be kept as the third quarterback and not waived?

Where are all the Brian Brohm haters? The Fitzy haters?

Now's the time to confess to the error of your ways. The truth will liberate you!

Man up and be accountable for your opinions.

Or quietly close out of this thread and pretend you didn't read it.

Let me guess, you predicted exactly who would make the roster, who would start, who would be the practice squad, etc? Please. You should be an NFL GM I guess. I would admit I thought that Brohm was a goner, mainly because I didn't think the new regime would want to have egg on their face and cut the first QB they ever drafted, even if it was the right choice. I thought it was a for sure, until I watched the Detroit game, then I thought it was a possiblity they cut Brown. I still don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that they bring someone in and dump Brohm. But then again, not all of us (actually only yourself) can have such knowledge and forsight as to accurately predict every move that the Buffalo Bills will ultimately make from here on out. Get real, your a joke.

Edited by billsfreak

To date I have been content to accept this as a football fan site. After digesting this thread, taking a good honest look in the mirror and subsequently executing a scathing and fearless assessment of my own relative moral inventory, I must come clean. Much like the whispered sounds of contrition are met with an initial reluctance, the requisite keystrokes for this, my personal day of reckoning, come with considerable internal strife. But, I can no longer live this lie.

Please forgive me oh great pure and righteous OP, but I have taken part in the frivolous liberties associated with free thought. It is true... I have sinned. As recently as Thursday of the week just passed, I entertained an impure thought inclusive of a linebacking corps sans Kawika Mitchell. I only request that my penance be carried out in a swift and forceful manner, lest I forget this lesson of accountability. Act now and spare me from that inevitable downward spiral where I always seem to tumble back through Alice's (tramp) looking glass, and into a tawdry place where accountability is a silly word that is seldom applied to whimsical pursuits. Do it now...

:worthy:

:w00t:

:thumbsup:

I'll admit it. This thread is a bit negative but I think it's necessary.

The lack of accountability that people have for their stated positions and their crusades is truly amazing.

Recall the clamor and hysteria of some of the posters here as we got closer to cut down day. The din was deafening. At one time two weeks ago, we had 5 different threads about the quarterback situation on page one alone.

Lots of our members were just totally adamant AND VOCAL about what they thought was going to happen/what they wanted to have happen to the Bills roster (the two often get confused in some people's minds).

Those same people are conspicuous by their silence now…especially on matters such as which quarterbacks would made the roster.

So who said what and where are those people now?

Seriously???? Who cares?? Does any Bills fan really care about that at this point??? Opening day is less than a week away and that's what you are thinking about in regards to the Bills? It is what it is... people have opinions and make assumptions and by doing that they try to create conversation about the team. Most of the conversation is fairly negative but it is what it is...people being fans. Isn't that what the board's about? People having opinions and sharing info..Do we need to call those people out? What are you going to do? Verbally rebuke them and embarrass them in public because their predictions didn't come true? You act like they are sitting by their computers and afraid to post b/c they are wrong about their outrageous prediction. How about this... try talking about the team and the players that are now on the roster and how they do starting this week. Seriously, why all the venom towards people that have the same passion as you? Who cares if they have an opinion different than you?

I was roundly ridiculed in late June for suggesting that Nelson would make the roster and Hardy would not. Silly me.

Edit: However, to respond to your point, I thought Chad Jackson would make it. Also, I didn't think Roscoe would be around given Gailey's like for taller receivers. That's the cool thing about Gailey -- he sees talent wherever it is -- his eyes are open.

BBM

What he said. I also think Gailey likes to change things up and respects speed. If Roscoe can get a pass over the middle with a hole to run through he should be good for at least 10 yards if not break one for a TD.

If we're going back that far, I would have packaged draft picks to select Tony Mandarich. :oops: I also thought Carwell Gardner would be the best FB the Bills ever had, I was pissed the Bills traded Peerless Price, I thought Rob Johnson could be a great QB, I thought hiring Tom Donahoe was a stroke of genius, I thought it was dumb to draft McGahee when they had Travis Henry, I thought Lonnie :censored: Johnson was a good pick. I wanted the Bills to take LeFevour this draft. I thought Hardy would be a stud WR this year. I'm sure there are a great many more. In my defense I made some good calls, like appreciating Torell Troup ahead of tub of goo Cody and that Robert Ayers would be a disappointment just to name a couple. I can pretty much assure you that my bad decisions far outweigh the good decision. At least I'm willing to admit it. :D

No one in Buffalo thought Pat Williams would last this long nor that he was worth the money Minnesota paid for him.

Letting him walk and Will Wolford walk are the two biggest FA losses in the history of the franchise. The league let the Colts screw the Bills on the Wolford deal. The Bills should have locked him up long before it got to that point.

The Wolford comments are unfair, IMO. IIRC, he was among the very first FA class. Maybe second. The Colts put a poison pill inside the contract so the Bills couldn't match it. They guaranteed Wolford would be the highest paid player on the team for the next whatever years. It meant virtually nothing to them but with Kelly, Thomas, Smith, Reed etc... It would have been impossible for the Bills to match it.

haha good topic San Jose,

Well I will admit I thought either Fitzy or Brohm would be let go and Levi would be kept as our 3rd.

I was wrong about that. I think that's all I can fess up to. How about the rest of you guys? Speak up, don't be shy.

I can pretty much assure you that my bad decisions far outweigh the good decision.

-- Once, at a Bills game, I hugged my wife... and together we dared to dream that our son would grow up to be just like O.J. Simpson

Not that it's of any great consequence (except maybe to SJBF) but mea maxima freaking culpa - I was definitely wrong about this season's QB 'pecking order' (but also think Gailey wasn't 100% candid about a "wide-open" QB competition). Am still pretty sure Edwards isn't the long-term answer - too tentative, to quick to check down, too immobile, passes seem wobbly and under-thrown, etc. - guess we'll find out soon enough whether he's also too fragile. My bet is still that Brohm will be the starter by mid-season.

(As proven, I'm just about always wrong on QBs - I also remember loving Edwards the first time I saw him play in preseason at RWS - although I did think Flutie was better than RJ, and still think Graham Harrell's eventually gonna be very successful, I mean wildly successful, somewhere. B-) )

Don't know that we'll be in the position to draft Mallett, but he'd be a great one to get - maybe even better than getting Sam Bradford (yesterday Mallett was 21/24 - 87.5% - 301 yds/3 TDs/1 INT ). If we're drafting that high (I think Mallett will go #1 overall), obviously we've had another miserable year - but maybe we can have a decent enough season, show some improvement, and still be in a position to draft...

Gabe Carmini

Then, two years later...

Meet Terrell Brown

High first round QBs, especially #1 overall picks, have been risky of late - the Jake Locker-hype is particularly frightening - there's always a chance to pick up a John Skelton-type in the later rounds (Taylor Potts was 34/53, 359 yds, 4 TDs, 0 INTs tonite). Best to stick to your guns, build the lines, and know that if we do it right, eventually, some day, we'll get to...

19 and 0 baby!!! B-)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

PosLUSZny!!!!! :beer:

Edited by The Senator

The league let the Colts screw the Bills on the Wolford deal.

wow yeah i had totally forgot about that

there was a poison pill clause in the contract. the league outlawed it after that but didnt void the wolford deal

nice memory. i would never had recalled that if you hadnt mentioned it

Thank you for providing the opportunity to "fess up"- 'll man up and add to this thread.

Here is my post immediately after we drafted Spiller:

Archives > The Stadium Wall Archive > Round 1, Pick #9: CJ Spiller RB Clemson

#1832067 In space no one can hear

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:56 PM

I love the Spiller pick.

He was BY FAR the best player on the board when we picked- a novel idea right? Well it's an approach the Bills haven't followed in years, and why we are a complete mess.

When Butler/Smith and Nix took over the Chargers they were the worst team in the league.

Their first pick? A running back-L.T.

Spiller will elevate the play of those around him.

I feel I understated the impact he will have.

I feel better now. ;-)

haha good topic San Jose,

Well I will admit I thought either Fitzy or Brohm would be let go and Levi would be kept as our 3rd.

I was wrong about that. I think that's all I can fess up to. How about the rest of you guys? Speak up, don't be shy.

I figured all 4 QB's would make it, even though I moderately dislike Edwards as the starter. And if he doesn't get us to the play-offs, that moderate dis-like will never improve. Just once in those post-game interviews would I like to see him accept responsibility for poor execution, instead of saying "I gotta look at the film" Well Trent, Sweet Lou would like to know what kind of film you've been looking at ?

-- Once, at a Bills game, I hugged my wife... and together we dared to dream that our son would grow up to be just like O.J. Simpson

:death:

Hit the nail on the head. It can't possibly be that they are still targeting and negotiating with players, or the fact that most teams take a few days to fill their PS rosters. No-sir-ee, you of all people on Planet Earth figured it out. They are trying to save $400K. Brilliant. I wanna pin a medal on you.

PTR

He is a brainiac!

I need not save you my son for you have saved yourself! Your confession is the truth, and the truth shall set you free!

Seriously, the thread was a bit of a lark. But I thought it provoked some great posts, even the prickly ones.

Maybe it's me but I like when people come clean on things they wrote here. I think it's a pretty good litmus test for character.

Given the choice of having people own up to their positions or not, I'd much rather people were simply honest about their track records.

It's the only antidote to some of the behavior here. Everyone is entitled to "free thought" but that's not the same thing as blowharding a bad opinion for days at a time only to slink away or go mum when your position is proven completely wrong.

I actually avoid making predictions and dressing them up like certain outcomes. I've been around long enough to know that I'm far from infallible.

Anyways, it's my turn.

Last offseason, I said with certainty that the Bills would never sign Terrell Owens. Oops.

I publicly argued that I thought Dick Jauron was going to be a good coach. I cited his Coach of the Year award and the fact that in his last year, with his job on the line, that the Bears had a very strong 2nd half of the season. I thought that this was a sign that the players were rallying around him. I thought that when Jerry Angelo took the Bears job (Jauron was already the coach) that he was just waiting for a chance to get his own coach in there and I thought his firing of Jauron was a mistake. I was convinced that Marv made a good hire with Jauron.

Speaking of Marv, I thought that Marv Levy was going to be a good GM. I was a charter member of the "In Marv we Trust" club.

I often stated that I thought that Roscoe Parrish was not capable of being a Wes Welker type player because he was too slight…about the same height as Welker but 15 pounds lighter and not having enough physicality to defeat press coverage. On this one it looks I might be proven somewhat wrong.

Thanks for all the great responses. They exceeded expectations and I really expected that this thread would be a one (page) and done deal.

Sorry if anyone was offended. That certainly wasn't the intention.

Most of the straight forward posts were excellent and even the slightly hostile posts were generally very funny and well-written.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I need not save you my son for you have saved yourself! Your confession is the truth, and the truth shall set you free!

Seriously, the thread was a bit of a lark. But I thought it provoked some great posts, even the prickly ones.

Maybe it's me but I like when people come clean on things they wrote here. I think it's a pretty good litmus test for character.

Given the choice of having people own up to their positions or not, I'd much rather people were simply honest about their track records.

It's the only antidote to some of the behavior here. Everyone is entitled to "free thought" but that's not the same thing as blowharding a bad opinion for days at a time only to slink away or go mum when your position is proven completely wrong.

I actually avoid making predictions and dressing them up like certain outcomes. I've been around long enough to know that I'm far from infallible.

Anyways, it's my turn.

Last offseason, I said with certainty that the Bills would never sign Terrell Owens. Oops.

I publicly argued that I thought Dick Jauron was going to be a good coach. I cited his Coach of the Year award and the fact that in his last year, with his job on the line, that the Bears had a very strong 2nd half of the season. I thought that this was a sign that the players were rallying around him. I thought that when Jerry Angelo took the Bears job (Jauron was already the coach) that he was just waiting for a chance to get his own coach in there and I thought his firing of Jauron was a mistake. I was convinced that Marv made a good hire with Jauron.

Speaking of Marv, I thought that Marv Levy was going to be a good GM. I was a charter member in the "In Marv we Trust" club.

I often stated that I thought that Roscoe Parrish was not capable of being a Wes Welker type player because he was too slight…about the same height as Welker but 15 pounds lighter and not having enough physicality to defeat press coverage. On this one it looks I might be proven somewhat wrong.

Thanks for all the great responses. They exceeded expectations and I really expected that this thread would be a one (page) and done deal.

Sorry if anyone was offended. That certainly wasn't the intention.

Most of the straight forward posts were excellent and even the slightly hostile posts were generally very funny and well-written.

I'm amused that some find this thread offensive. It's just a fun thread to admit your mistakes. It's hilarious that so many people here take themselves so seriously that the very idea of this thread is an hostile act to them. :rolleyes:

In the spirit of 'fessing up:

My 53:

QB: T.Edwards, Brohm, Brown

RB: Jackson, Lynch, Spiller, J.Bell

FB: McIntyre

TE: Stupar, Schouman, Foschi, Nelson

OL: Hangartner, Levitre, Wood, Green, D.Bell, Howard, Meredith, Calloway

WR: Evans, Johnson, Parrish, Jackson, Hardy, Nelson

DL: Stroud, Williams, Johnson, Troup, D.Edwards, Carrington

OLB: Kelsay, Torbor, Ellis, Coleman

ILB: Mitchell, Posluzny, Davis, Moats

CB: McGee, Florence, McKelvin, Corner, Youboty

S: Byrd, Wilson, Scott, Whitner

ST: Moorman, Lindell, Sanborn

So...

Wrong on QB - I hate Fitzpatrick for the very averageness of him and for him actually being able to threaten Trent for the starting spot. I didn't want him around.

Wrong on RB - but Bell retained on PS is good news. I should have known better that with those three guys, you don't need a 4th RB.

Right on FB - easiest of the bunch!

Wrong on TE - Schou going was a mild surprise.

Wrong on OL - but oh so close. I thought Wang would probably go on Reserve/PUP, hence guessing Calloway had a shot...

Wrong on WR - I gambled on Hardy and I knew it. As for Jackson, well - I like his story and hoped he made the roster. But very pleased for Jones.

Right on DL - I had this one nailed.

Wrong on OLB - I gambled that Maybin would be a sacrifical lamb for the new administration. Pleased to be wrong.

Wrong on ILB - I honestly thought Ellison was a goner off the bat.

Right on CB - also nailed. I thank you.

Wrong on S - but oh so close, like some others. Cary Harris a big surprise.

I dunno - guessing was fun. So I suck at it, but I am doing the guessing from 3,000 miles away and had to go off what I saw on TV in pre-season and not in practise overall.