Duke Preston

As a DTS grad, I had a great experience there, and I'm confident he will as well. We wish him well in his new pursuits. ... Let’s hope he preaches better than he blocked! B-)

Are you a practicing minister? How many years does it take to get through the Divinity School for a full time student? Is the school affiliated with a particular denomination or is it non-denominational? Just curious.

The article on Preston draws a very stark picture on the life struggles of players and former players. All through their lives they have rigorously prepared themselves for football but in the game of life they struggle. It's such a shame.

Are you a practicing minister? How many years does it take to get through the Divinity School for a full time student? Is the school affiliated with a particular denomination or is it non-denominational? Just curious.

The article on Preston draws a very stark picture on the life struggles of players and former players. All through their lives they have rigorously prepared themselves for football but in the game of life they struggle. It's such a shame.

Yes, to the first question. To the second: It depends on the program. The school he is at has two main Grad level (Masters) programs, an MA - two years fulltime, and a THM (Master of Theology degree), which is four years fulltime. Many other schools also offer a three year degree, a MDiv (Master of Divinity). Dallas Theological Seminary is a non-denominational school. It's one of the largest and most respected in the country (among evangelicals). Tom Landry was on the Board of the school when he was alive, and over the years there have been many ex-pro athletes that have attended there. David Klingler graduated just a year or two ago. Here’s link to their website: www.dts.edu

Concerning your second observation, that is so true. If Preston intends to be involved in ministry to them, he will have a wide-open door of opportunity. And being an ex-player, he will have a platform few others would have. I hope he succeeds and does well.

But man, does he not look like the biggest idiot for bad-mouthing the Bills on his way to Green Bay?

:oops:

No, he was right. And he was regarded well enough to have the option left to him to come back as a reserve in Dallas so he wasn't a complete failure after he left.

That said, he's certainly not missed. He was kind of a bonehead player in Buffalo. Case in point the NE game at home where he got into a fight at the end of the first half that ran the clock out when the Bills could have kicked a field goal. He was part of the problem.

Yes, to the first question. To the second: It depends on the program. The school he is at has two main Grad level (Masters) programs, an MA - two years fulltime, and a THM (Master of Theology degree), which is four years fulltime. Many other schools also offer a three year degree, a MDiv (Master of Divinity). Dallas Theological Seminary is a non-denominational school. It's one of the largest and most respected in the country (among evangelicals). Tom Landry was on the Board of the school when he was alive, and over the years there have been many ex-pro athletes that have attended there. David Klingler graduated just a year or two ago. Here’s link to their website: www.dts.edu

Concerning your second observation, that is so true. If Preston intends to be involved in ministry to them, he will have a wide-open door of opportunity. And being an ex-player, he will have a platform few others would have. I hope he succeeds and does well.

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it very much. I wish you the very best in your very challenging and meaningful field of endeavor.