The Turner Gill Era has begun at Kansas

bills44

He's not Mangino

Obviously.

I stand by my statement though. He'll come to regret this move. It won't end well. I wish the guy all the luck, but I don't feel he'll be successful at Kansas. More because it's Kansas than because he's Turner Gill.

Welcome to the BCS. Oh well, it's hard to turn around a program that is not a traditional football powerhouse. These things take time. Gill's stint at UB was not exactly an overnight success.

The Big 12 could have had it worse today with Oklahoma having a tough time with Utah State.

Welcome to the BCS. Oh well, it's hard to turn around a program that is not a traditional football powerhouse. These things take time. Gill's stint at UB was not exactly an overnight success.

The Big 12 could have had it worse today with Oklahoma having a tough time with Utah State.

Actually, it's not even welcome to the BCS - since ND State I'm sure isn't even D-1A.......I think his UB tenure did start with overnight success - the Temple win where the fans stormed the field, I think?

I really think Turner made the right move, but this is a shockingly bad way to start. Kansas football has been pretty good the last few years.

Obviously.

I stand by my statement though. He'll come to regret this move. It won't end well. I wish the guy all the luck, but I don't feel he'll be successful at Kansas. More because it's Kansas than because he's Turner Gill.

Much of that will depend on who the new KU AD is going to be, after Perkins retires after next year, and what he's willing to do during his remaining tenure.

Before Mangino, there wasn't a football program at KU. They sucked, the training facilities sucked and they couldn't recruit. Mangino built the program with a bunch of street players.

Less than 2 years ago, they won the Orange Bowl and finished 12-1.

Training facilities have improved vastly, the football budget increased dramatically, and they actually were able to recruit some decent players. The seeds were set to build upon what Mangino started.

It fell apart last year due to a number of things, but it didn't need to destroy the program.

Turner Gill has more to work with in continuing to build the program than people think. Much of it will depend on KU itself, but the biggest part of the equation is going to be Turner Gill himself. We'll see. When people in Kansas ask me about him, (being a transplanted Buffalonian), I always tell them he was extremely well respected at UB, and did a hell of a job building a program there.

Will it be enough? I hope so.

Much of that will depend on who the new KU AD is going to be, after Perkins retires after next year, and what he's willing to do during his remaining tenure.

Before Mangino, there wasn't a football program at KU. They sucked, the training facilities sucked and they couldn't recruit. Mangino built the program with a bunch of street players.

Less than 2 years ago, they won the Orange Bowl and finished 12-1.

Training facilities have improved vastly, the football budget increased dramatically, and they actually were able to recruit some decent players. The seeds were set to build upon what Mangino started.

It fell apart last year due to a number of things, but it didn't need to destroy the program.

Turner Gill has more to work with in continuing to build the program than people think. Much of it will depend on KU itself, but the biggest part of the equation is going to be Turner Gill himself. We'll see. When people in Kansas ask me about him, (being a transplanted Buffalonian), I always tell them he was extremely well respected at UB, and did a hell of a job building a program there.

Will it be enough? I hope so.

Expectations in Buffalo were far lower. There wasn't the pressure to succeed that there must be at a big conference school. It's just one game (though an embarrassing one!) Let's see how TG does the rest of the way.

PTR