Triple Option

Chan says he may put Freddie, Marshawn and CJ in the backfield at the same time.

"We don't know how that's going to shake out yet. We've got the luxury of three pretty good backs. They may all be in there at the same time, you never know."

Is Chan just toying with us? Or will the Bills occassionally run some variation of the triple option?

Can you imagine CJ in the QB position in the shotgun formation with Jackson and Lynch to hand off to? A creative mind like Gailey's might love to play around with something like this. Having three legit running threats to simultaneously worry about could give a defense fits... if the plays are designed and executed right.

After Miami's success with the Wildcat, Chan must be tempted with the possibilities.

Chan says he may put Freddie, Marshawn and CJ in the backfield at the same time.

"We don't know how that's going to shake out yet. We've got the luxury of three pretty good backs. They may all be in there at the same time, you never know."

Is Chan just toying with us? Or will the Bills occassionally run some variation of the triple option?

Can you imagine CJ in the QB position in the shotgun formation with Jackson and Lynch to hand off to? A creative mind like Gailey's might love to play around with something like this. Having three legit running threats to simultaneously worry about could give a defense fits... if the plays are designed and executed right.

After Miami's success with the Wildcat, Chan must be tempted with the possibilities.

Hmmm I wonder if it'll happen. Hey why not. It would be fun to see a little of it sprinkled in. But I have to say this: our backs better sell the fake hand offs and our qb's better too. It irritates me to no end when backs and qb's are so sloppy with their fakes. Sell it and make the D buy it! It's just plain laziness if they don't. I hope Chan's discipline will keep the fakes at a good level. Cuz I'll be watching.

Well it would be nice to see them use some kind of new, innovative offense with these playmakers. You would also think with how successful Miami was with the Wildcat and their 2 dynamic backs, Chan would be able to come up with something even better involving his THREE dynamic backs.

However, it is just like Chan said himself, if you cannot threaten the Defense with a PASSING game out of a package like that...the running game will never work on its own. It might be alright for a week or two, but with no threat to pass, Defenses will quickly catch on and be able to focus solely on the run and shut it down.

Triple option wouldn't work in the NFL. Defensive players are too fast to pull a gadget play like that. Furthermore, do you really want Edwards making any more decisions or pitching any footballs? The man can't multi-task.

If you were to run a version of the triple option at the NFL level, you wouldn't have Edwards under center. Jackson would probably move under center, you would use Lynch as your dive back and Spiller as the pitch man. You would probably need to put both receivers to one side and run the option to the TE (opposite) side. This should put one safety and one linebacker on the outside. The line could seal down. You would run the veer against the outside backer and option the safety... It could actually work.

In the Indy game when Edwards hit Evans on bomb they had 3 guys in backfield, not all backs but still. Plus Edwards did sell the play action well on that one. However I havent seen a Buffalo QB sell play action in so long I forgot what it looks like.

I'm fairly certain that the league has banned Buffalo from running play action, quick slants, and screen passes. It's the only explanation I have for why every team in the league can run these offensive plays, yet the Bills never do. Not to mention, our defefnse never seems to be able to recognize or stop a team if they run one of those three plays. I'm not sure why Goodell hates the Bills, but he does. So, if this triple option thingy requires a play action, you can mark it off the list as a possibilty.

Triple option wouldn't work in the NFL. Defensive players are too fast to pull a gadget play like that. Furthermore, do you really want Edwards making any more decisions or pitching any footballs? The man can't multi-task.

Just speculation... but I wouldn't envision Edwards being on the field. Just as the QB is usually off the field in the Wildcat, I imagine Chan putting the three RBs on the field without a traditional QB. Maybe Freddie under center or CJ in the shotgun.

People didn't think the Wildcat would work in the NFL because it makes the intention to run too obvious. Yet it has had some success, partly because teams didn't practice or scheme for it. And it gives the offense an extra blocker (QBs are useless on running plays). The triple option also provides an extra blocker as well as opportunities for misdirection.

I'm not actually saying it's a good idea. I do think the possibilities are intriguing and some of Chan's comments make me wonder what his intentions are.

Chan mentioned getting them on the field at the same time. That does not really imply all of them being in the backfield together. I doubt we'll see that triple option BS, but Spiller split out wide with a 2 RB alignment makes more sense to me. That setup with Lee's speed would create far more matchup problems for the defense than the triple option.

No, we will not be seeing any triple options out of the Bills backfield at any point during the season. It's more likely he is thinking along the lines of some kind of flex-bone type offense, where Spiller and/or Jackson can line up in flanker positions with Marshawn as the inline back so that they could be utilized in motion or as a greater pass receiving threat out of the backfield.

Edited by SouthGeorgiaBillsFan

Just speculation... but I wouldn't envision Edwards being on the field. Just as the QB is usually off the field in the Wildcat, I imagine Chan putting the three RBs on the field without a traditional QB. Maybe Freddie under center or CJ in the shotgun.

People didn't think the Wildcat would work in the NFL because it makes the intention to run too obvious. Yet it has had some success, partly because teams didn't practice or scheme for it. And it gives the offense an extra blocker (QBs are useless on running plays). The triple option also provides an extra blocker as well as opportunities for misdirection.

I'm not actually saying it's a good idea. I do think the possibilities are intriguing and some of Chan's comments make me wonder what his intentions are.

Actually, most of the time the QB stays on the field, but lines up as a wide receiver. I assume it's because if the defense sees the QB running off the field, they'll substitute a very run-oriented defensive package.

With what Chan did with Thigpin I would think Edwards could be lined up short (pistol position), with a flank and an I behind him. It would work because you have three Rbs and 2 wr, hell if you have a slot receiver and leave the TE off the field it is almost a spread. It would be a good formation for a very quick out or slant. Getting your flanker in space would be easy because of the mismatchups. :thumbsup:

The more I think about this there are many things you can do.

I kind of hate that the WC has the QB out wide #1 it is readable #2 your QB isn't protected.