Random thoughts and observations on the game

At this point I see the Defense trying a number of different looks, that are causing the LB's to think and react rather than just reacting automatically. Also, I am seeing a lot of Dline with 4 men hands down, not your conventional 3-4. Case in point maybin seems to always be in a DE position, rather than OLB, making it easier for the Oline tackle to pick him up.

Wondering how we will be gameplanning for the regular season?

I agree with all your points. I would also add that Edwards is actually showing some willingness to move around in the pocket instead of bolting for the sideline at the slightest hint of backside pressure. Actually looked like an NFL QB last night.

One thing Bell seems to be able to do quite well is pop back into position right at the snap on passing plays and then shove his man to the outside enough to cut off that straight route to the deeper dropbacks. Trent has never been good at stepping up into the pocket (not that he had a lot of pockets to step up in) but last night did it a couple times and looked good. If Wood and Levitre continue to get better, and Hangartner doesnt get abused and shoved back too far, Trent should have some room to step up. And that's when Roscoe (like happened yesterday) and the other WR should have some time to get separation and use their speed or agility.

I'm wondering if screen passes are part timing and part simple coaching. Even when we tried them the last ten years they never looked good or right or executed well. Then in the post game comments we heard "we had the plays, we just didnt execute well". I know it's pre-season but the line actually looks like it's supposed to do on screens. The block for a sec, let their guy go, get into position, and then charge. It seems so simple but we never looked like that before. We looked like a frat house party.

Agreed, they resembled more like jailbreaks than screen passes, that's if the QB had enough time to even execute one.

I love Chan's play calling, but it really goes beyond play calling, and takes into account the design of the play

as well, which has been very good as well.

Edited by Cookiemonster

I agree with everything you say. I was down on the Gailey hire at first, but right now I really like him. Should be a fun season.

Btw, I don't necessarily agree that 96 owners, coaches, and GMs would take Sanchez over Edwards. I'm not sold on Sanchez at all, and I have a weak hunch that if given the choice, there are a few GMs and coaches who would take Edwards. He has his fans throughout the league (although certainly not among journalists). I'm going to go out on a limb right now and say that Edwards has a better season than Sanchez this season. I sincerely hope I'm right about this one!

I agree with everything you say. I was down on the Gailey hire at first, but right now I really like him. Should be a fun season.

Btw, I don't necessarily agree that 96 owners, coaches, and GMs would take Sanchez over Edwards. I'm not sold on Sanchez at all, and I have a weak hunch that if given the choice, there are a few GMs and coaches who would take Edwards. He has his fans throughout the league (although certainly not among journalists). I'm going to go out on a limb right now and say that Edwards has a better season than Sanchez this season. I sincerely hope I'm right about this one!

Maybe the new 2010 model Trent! He actually stepped up in the pocket a few times, didnt bail so quickly, looked like a leader, took a shot on a bomb with his man covered knowing it was one on one coverage and third down, kept looking downfield (except on one time he ran OB when he could have maybe passed for the first). The dude in Trent's uniform last night was pretty good.

What are those jersey altering steps lady? I have a son with a Bledsoe he wants to turn into a Roscoe :)

I found a good sports shop on Ebay that sells blank nameplates and letters..or you can pay extra and have them customize the plate size and sew the letters on. That's what I actually did. I was impressed with their work. Then I bought the sequin lightning and sewed it on myself. I need to make-over my Bledsoe jersey, too. *LOL*

I found a good sports shop on Ebay that sells blank nameplates and letters..or you can pay extra and have them customize the plate size and sew the letters on. That's what I actually did. I was impressed with their work. Then I bought the sequin lightning and sewed it on myself. I need to make-over my Bledsoe jersey, too. *LOL*

I don't think my son will require sequins, but thanks :)

Do you have a link to the company/person you are happy with?

1] Penalties. Wow. The Bills made a few late in the game but at halftime with most of the regular players, I think the Bills only had one and the Bengals 8.

2] On two of the early big losses on the Spiller runs, I thought Stupar missed the block on one and Steve Johnson on the other that allowed the Bengals instantly into the backfield to disrupt the play. Then the rest of the Bengals converged. It wasn't immediately the OL fault although that was on first look and didnt get to watch it a few times to know for sure.

3] Spiller is clearly the real deal. He needs to be on the field. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Gailey is going to do with the three headed monster.

4] Damn you, Shawn Nelson. You could have been a serious threat as the #5 option if you weren't a knucklehead.

5] David Nelson should start over Stevie Styles right now. He even blocks well. Has a real feel for the game and the seams in the defense. Catches everything. Huge lanky target. Played in big games his whole college career so he is not affected by the NFL. I can't believe this guy didn't get drafted.

6] Jackson let the hard pass at the goalline go through his hands, tough catch but he needs to make it. Hardy looked awful on one crossing pattern where he flinched, and dropped another short pass that was tough but should have caught it. Got wide open and nice sideline catch for 30. Looked better running patterns. I have no idea what Gailey thinks of him, good or bad (although we know he thought Hardy sucked at first and then greatly improved). I still think we keep six WR (Evans, Parrish, Johnson, Nelson, Jackson, Hardy for the first four games (unless a good TE gets cut and we sign him). Then when Nelson comes back, we cut one of Hardy or Jackson or IR someone because of injury.

7] Defense looks terrible right now. I am just hoping, not thinking, that they will get a little better each week and when they have all their starters in. I liked what I saw of Troup. LBs were abused. Davis played well except for forgetting to cover Gresham on the TD which was brutal. McLovin despite the slip on the Ocho TD needs to start over Florence.

8} Trent looks good. Quite efficient. The coaching and play-calling makes a huge difference. Said it in another thread but it seems like an equal parts combination of about five different things: The play design is significant better. The play calling in both sequence and appropriate time is much better. The playing to a player's individual strengths is much better (see Parrish). Getting the 5 OL that will start all in at the same time has helped tremendously. And adding Spiller to the mix.

This team is a lot more fun to watch than I expected. Although I am one who puts no stock at all in pre-season. The only thing I think we know for sure is that CJ is fast, has fabulous vision, cutback ability and acceleration. He looks like a stud.

Gailey looks like a good hire right now. No doubt about it. We'll see in the games that count though.

Stupar - not that impresssive. Best we have, but not much.

WRs - Chan called them out last week and for good reason. Still need a number 2. That person is not on the roster.

I think Troup was a reason that our first string defense had no penetration or run stuffing. Good looking rookie alright but he is a step down from Kyle Williams at this point.