Tony Washington

I can't believe that TE from Tampa, who by all accounts sounds like a straight up rapist who caught a break, can play in the NFL but this guy is shunned.

What else is strange is this thread seems to be almost in complete agreement that this guy should get a shot, and it's hard to get the board to agree on anything. It can't possibly be that big of a PR nightmare to give him a tryout.

Jeremy Stevens. For a good time, google him and read the entries under legal troubles. See what solid citizens are playing in the NFL. Date rapist. Sheesh.

I think there was also a guy accused of pulling his pregnant girlfriend down a flight of stairs by her hair.

Heck, maybe we should make K-Rod the league commissioner. But keep Washington out of this league!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe that TE from Tampa, who by all accounts sounds like a straight up rapist who caught a break, can play in the NFL but this guy is shunned.

What else is strange is this thread seems to be almost in complete agreement that this guy should get a shot, and it's hard to get the board to agree on anything. It can't possibly be that big of a PR nightmare to give him a tryout.

Has anyone in this thread watched more then a highlight reel? has anyone seen that much even? I havent heard one comment on his play beyond he was rated somewhere between a second and fifth round prospect depending on which draft mag you read. regardless of your opinion of the incident he has in his past, does anyone have a reason on the field that they can say so adamantly that he should play?

Again, a 24 year old rookie, from a small division 2 school, with a sordid history (which helped keep him from playing or developing as a football player) is far from a slam dunk prospect. He played one year of HS ball in 05, one year of JUCO, and one year of DII ball. He doesnt have a resume that screams conspiracy that he isnt getting a chance. I bet the the track record for Lone Star Conference Lineman of the year is not nearly as impressive as we are making it seem here.

If the tape shows hes worth bringing in, then go for it, but..... is there reason to believe hed be better then wang? or meredith?

But you cant take the situations in a vacuum. It may not be the morally right thing, but donte stallworth has proven he can run a route and catch a ball thrown by an nfl qb. he has proven he can help a team. Unfortunately if a probowl LT did his own sister he would get another chance, tony washington might not. The truth of the matter is, has he ever lined up across from a player that went pro? with such powerhouses as washburn, tarleton state, incarnate word, and the always dominant Angelo State on the schedule for this year -- this kid would be a major roll of the dice WITHOUT the baggage.

Also, just because some people projected him as a second round talent, doesnt mean every GM agrees. ::Cough:: Jevan Snead ::Cough:: There were people that graded him as a legit mid round pick, and he went undrafted, and is already without a job. Even in the best case scenario, which is he has second round talent, he has what kind of odds to succeed.... Maybe 1 out of 5-10 second round left tackles become long term starters? 1 out of a lot more then that probowl? I dont know the numbers but if someone did, i would be curious.

yes there are a lot of highly talented convicts in the nfl, but for every big ben, there are 12 guys that are borderline talent that will never get there chance for convictions FAR smaller then this. Crimes as simple as Public intoxication knock college players that might have a chance out of discussions every year. I really dont think roger goodell black balled him as much as its just not worth it to anyone right now.

And yes, that article had good qualities featured, but it is true that there are warning flags in it as well - and i dont mean recidivism, I mean in how he deals with adversity, and how he views the crime he committed. He may test out as a leader, but when things got really bad, he isolated himself, he gave up on a future, etc... I live in New Orleans and I know it is a city that has programs that would do anything in the world to be able to feature a young black man with leadership qualities to help the community and instead he rode the bus by himself - i know he was 16, but yea, i watch a lot of 16 year olds that have been through a hell of a lot more then him during, and post katrina in this city and they get off the bus at the united way to do something about it. Again, im not saying hes a monster, but im trying to balance a discussion that seems to be ignoring the entire other side of the tony washington story.

As much as people have framed him in this discussion as an innocent victim getting railroaded by a conspiracy starting with the police, and now headed by king roger.... there are legit reasons why a team might not want him. would you cut someone to bring him in at this point? I wouldnt be upset by a workout, but I wouldnt be thrilled either, and that lack of excitement comes from more then just his sex offender status, which frankly i dont much care about.

Last and certainly not least for his nfl potential, he is 24, and at best a long term project with the level of talent he played against.

Stallworth hasn't exactly been lighting up the league. He's been on 3 teams in 4 years. And on the WR-rich Pats he was shown the door.

In Washington's case we're talking about a guy who has the potential to fill a need on the most important position on the offensive line. As a projected 2nd round pick, he actually presents more upside potential to a team than Slallworth.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

But you cant take the situations in a vacuum.

What the heck does that mean? This kid deserves a chance. The NFL doesn't have a problem if you take someone's life if you can pay off a family and catch TD's, but sleep with your sister, and you're blacklisted. Oi vey.

Not to mention, you have no idea if this kid would be good or if he wouldn't. Hence that whole "chance" thing.

Has anyone in this thread watched more then a highlight reel? has anyone seen that much even? I havent heard one comment on his play beyond he was rated somewhere between a second and fifth round prospect depending on which draft mag you read. regardless of your opinion of the incident he has in his past, does anyone have a reason on the field that they can say so adamantly that he should play?

Again, a 24 year old rookie, from a small division 2 school, with a sordid history (which helped keep him from playing or developing as a football player) is far from a slam dunk prospect. He played one year of HS ball in 05, one year of JUCO, and one year of DII ball. He doesnt have a resume that screams conspiracy that he isnt getting a chance. I bet the the track record for Lone Star Conference Lineman of the year is not nearly as impressive as we are making it seem here.

If the tape shows hes worth bringing in, then go for it, but..... is there reason to believe hed be better then wang? or meredith?

I would think it's almost better that he didn't play in high school and only two years in D-II college. If he improved and showed that much, to be rated so high at the combine and by the scouts, one could easily imagine the sky was the limit for him (and not saying it's better to not play, but that this guy may well be scratching the surface rather than at his ceiling).

We're not talking about signing him to a second round contract. People are saying bring this guy in and give him a chance, meaning at best he will be assigned to the PS for a year at next to no cost, and see what he can do against the big boys in practice over the course of a year with decent coaching.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

Having read the article, I'll say this: there's a reason why teenagers charged with a crime have their juvenile records sealed. I realize he was "of age" and that his crime was such that requires him to be a registered sex offender, but the details of this crime mitigate the initial gut response to such a conviction. I'm not saying that Tony shouldn't continue to be monitored, and maybe meet with a team psychologist, but in the end the law has made a serious distinction between a teenager and an adult for a reason. Science shows us that a human being's brain is still be developed into their late teens and even early twenties. A lonely young man, lost in the world of chaos around him with no source of support and guidance commits an obscene act that even his own sister says was not premeditated or with violence committed by such a confused young man, personally I would rather see him get help and have a strong support system around him, becoming a productive member of society than being ostracized by those who don't understand the nuances of such a situation. Give him a chance and monitor him closely along with requiring him to meet with a team psychologist twice a month or even once a week and allow him to demonstrate one of the great character qualities of humanity; the ability to demonstrate heart-felt change, evidenced by consistently socially acceptable behavior and having a positive impact on the community that embraces a man who has a desire to be a better human being. Buffalo, give him a chance and employ the aforementioned measures to ensure adherence to social expectations while providing inspiration. Just a thought....