Football Outsider Article

slyng1

Freakonomics (the book) is a fantastic read. Very interesting article; thanks for the link.

Yeah, the follow-up book by the same guys is excellent too.

Anyway, one point the article neglects is that the Bills have been among the league leaders of players on IR for the last three years. We've been a consistently oft-injured team. Allaire has been fired and the TVs are out of the weight room, and that's great, but weight programs take a reasonably long time to radically change the bodies of the players. The Bills have been on the new program for, what, about three months?

We've seen a lot of injuries already this year. I'm hoping it is either freak luck or the hangover from the Allaire era. After a year on the new program, results should be much clearer.

Yeah, the follow-up book by the same guys is excellent too.

Anyway, one point the article neglects is that the Bills have been among the league leaders of players on IR for the last three years. We've been a consistently oft-injured team. Allaire has been fired and the TVs are out of the weight room, and that's great, but weight programs take a reasonably long time to radically change the bodies of the players. The Bills have been on the new program for, what, about three months?

We've seen a lot of injuries already this year. I'm hoping it is either freak luck or the hangover from the Allaire era. After a year on the new program, results should be much clearer.

More like six months.

More like six months.

Considering how many of the injuries have happened in practice, there's no doubt in my mind that the much more physical training camp is the main reason for this latest wave of injuries.

Considering how many of the injuries have happened in practice, there's no doubt in my mind that the much more physical training camp is the main reason for this latest wave of injuries.

I agree, a more physical camp with a lot more hitting is gonna lead to some injuries, but except for Batten and Easley none have been too serious and shouldn't affect us all that much in the regular season.

More like six months.

6 months of squats(compared to zero squats during the entire Jauron regime) will strengthen the legs of our guys and hopefully keep them a little more healthy.

I am a little worried that Byrd's injury might linger, I'm prayin it won't because in my dream world I see him becoming an Ed Reed type of player.

Granted, I have no "inside informant" and I'm only getting info off these boards but I believe that Easley hurt his knee when he hit the ground and Byrd's injury is from the surgery he had last year. Batten actually got hurt through real contact but the rest of this years injuries seem to be minor (short term). I think that's a lot better than the past few years. I also think that the new training / conditioning regime and having more contact in camp will make this team better as the year progresses.