2 Live Stews- Praise For Spiller

BuffaloATL

Not sure if anyone listens to the 2 Live Stews (based in ATL but show is broadcast in syndictaion as well). Today they were heaping a little praise on our boy CJ, debating whether of not he could be the next Barry Sanders. Regardless of your opinion on the topic, it was just great to hear some hype and excitement for a Buffalo Bill outside of Buffalo. It's been a while since we've had a player/talent, in their prime, that has national appeal.

Not sure if anyone listens to the 2 Live Stews (based in ATL but show is broadcast in syndictaion as well). Today they were heaping a little praise on our boy CJ, debating whether of not he could be the next Barry Sanders. Regardless of your opinion on the topic, it was just great to hear some hype and excitement for a Buffalo Bill outside of Buffalo. It's been a while since we've had a player/talent, in their prime, that has national appeal.

where would yall take him in a fantasy draft? i was thinking 6th or 7th round but he may be long gone by then after last night.

What I find funny is how a lot of the national media seem to be saying "He looked great on that 31 yard TD run...BUT...he only averaged 2 yards per carry for the rest of his runs" and then go on to blame that on the Bills O-Line.

Did they even bother watching the guy in college? Those numbers are essentially identical to his quarter numbers at Clemson. The guy is going to get negative yards, he's going to get 1 or 2 yard gains. The difference being he will explode at least once a game for some huge yardage and it'll balance out in the end.

Just his style of running, he's not a 4 yard pound-it-out runner.

What I find funny is how a lot of the national media seem to be saying "He looked great on that 31 yard TD run...BUT...he only averaged 2 yards per carry for the rest of his runs" and then go on to blame that on the Bills O-Line.

Did they even bother watching the guy in college? Those numbers are essentially identical to his quarter numbers at Clemson. The guy is going to get negative yards, he's going to get 1 or 2 yard gains. The difference being he will explode at least once a game for some huge yardage and it'll balance out in the end.

On every one of those 1,2 and negative yard plays there were guys all over him as soon as he touched the ball. There was no room and no chance for just four yards and pounding it out. On the 6 yard loss he actually made the first guy miss who was right on him as soon as he touched it. No one was going to get any or many yards on those touches where he only gained or lost a couple yards. When he had any hole he hit it and made the most of it.

Well when we score on those 31 yard ones that raise the average, it makes it all worth it. You're also not weighing in the fact that the defense will bite on play action with him in there and they have to play up a little to account for him, which obviously opens up the long passing.

Keep the P1 play in mind from last night when Trent passed to a wide open Evans, that looked like a run to the whole world and the play action got the whole first string D to bite.

Keep the P1 play when Trent passed to a wide open Evans, that looked like a run to the whole world and the play action got the whole first string D to bite.

Exactly. That play was successful, in part, because they were paying attention to the run game.

where would yall take him in a fantasy draft? i was thinking 6th or 7th round but he may be long gone by then after last night.

That's a tough one. Clearly people who draft CJ or FJ are going to have good weeks some weeks and bad the others. I can see Spiller having a 2TD week one week and then not get much the next if FJ gets hot. Great for us/Bills, bad for fanatsy owners. I'm guessing some drafts he'll go as ealry as the late first round (too early, but someone will jump on him) and others he'll last until rounds four or five. IMO, there's too much potential for anyone to pass on him beyond the first 3-4 rounds. The guys is going to have some huge weeks. It just won't be consistent.

Wasn't that the "knock" on Barry Sanders??? That style worked out pretty well for him.

Wasn't that the "knock" on Barry Sanders??? That style worked out pretty well for him.

You're right, that's the comparison knocking around in my mind. But I thought Sanders was a tad bigger. Regardless, he wasn't a guy that would senselessly pound it up the gut. It's amazing what can happen when you make the first guy (and maybe the second guy) whiff on an arm tackle.