Who will lead the Bills in sacks?

Justice

Oh ya, back to the subject at hand. hmmm... Honestly this is a toughy for me. Hard call. For now i'll go with Maybin. We have so many question marks it's not easy to say. Ok why not, Maybin. Wild guess.

oh ya, um, 8 sacks.

Eight sacks from Maybin would be nice. I'd be pleasantly surprised to see that happen.

I'm going with Kelsay for six.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Operative word being LAST year on one of the worst offensive lines in football. Just sayin'.

I just think everyone should give him a chance. And say what you want to about the competition, but he made soem plays. Sometimes all it takes is confidence to prove you can play on this level. He'd also be a lot faster if people got off his nuts. :lol:

Eight sacks from Maybin would be nice. I'd be pleasantly surprised to see that happen.

I'm just going by law of averages. It can't be too hard to ask for .5 sacks a game can it? Especially when that will be his focus on 3rd downs on well passing downs. Maybe i'm being too optimistic but it could happen.

All you guys that think Maybin is gonna get it and lead the team in sacks this year are !@#$ing hysterical. Aside from Aaron Schobel, Chris Kelsay led the team last year with five sacks from his natural position at DE. Behind him Kyle Williams had four, while Ryan Denney and Spencer Johnson had two apiece. Schobel's gone, Kelsay and Williams have moved to positions that don't fit their skill sets (there is no way Kelsay excels at OLB and even if Williams who is a prototypical 4-3 DT excels he won't be racking up sacks), Denney is 33 and still terrible, and Spencer Johnson likely comes off the bench this year.

My guess is we have QB-pressure-by-committee, register somewhere between 24th and 30th in sacks with Torbor leading the way with 5.5. Maybin is cut at the end of 2011. If we want someone to rush the passer that has no skills except for his speed (and Mike Mayock's prized first step ("you either wake up with it in the morning or you don't")) but is finished once the opposing tackle gets a hand on you, then maybe we should just have Roscoe rush the passer. Wouldn't be any less effective, IMO.

Kelsay for six seems the most reasonable at this point, just because there are too many questionmarks. I hope maybin, coleman, and/or ellis really step it up this year as pass rushers. If that happens, it will make it a lot easier to draft a QB or an LT with our 1st pick in the draft. If we have a really bad pass rush this season, that just might force that to be one of our top needs and force out the QB/LT stuff we need. You never know, bell or meridith are still young and could be the LT we need, but QB is obviously the number 1 thing we need at this point.

And it would be pretty cool if somehow Kyle Williams was able to get a high number of sacks, being that NTs don't normally get them. He was a great pass rusher last year. It would be a nice surprise if he can get a few this year.

All you guys that think Maybin is gonna get it and lead the team in sacks this year are !@#$ing hysterical. Aside from Aaron Schobel, Chris Kelsay led the team last year with five sacks from his natural position at DE. Behind him Kyle Williams had four, while Ryan Denney and Spencer Johnson had two apiece. Schobel's gone, Kelsay and Williams have moved to positions that don't fit their skill sets (there is no way Kelsay excels at OLB and even if Williams who is a prototypical 4-3 DT excels he won't be racking up sacks), Denney is 33 and still terrible, and Spencer Johnson likely comes off the bench this year.

My guess is we have QB-pressure-by-committee, register somewhere between 24th and 30th in sacks with Torbor leading the way with 5.5. Maybin is cut at the end of 2011. If we want someone to rush the passer than has no skills except for his speed (and Mike Mayock's prized first step ("you either wake up with it in the morning or you don't")) but is finished once the opposing tackle gets a hand on you, then maybe we should just have Roscoe rush the passer. Wouldn't be any less effective, IMO.

Omg u again :-p

I'm starting to see a trend with Maybin's sacks in the pre-season. They all have come against second or third string tackles. He can't beat the ones. His speed is effective against the types of guys he faced in college.

How can you see a trend "in the preseason" when there has been ONE GAME?

Eight for Maybin?? I'll bet you a grand he doesn't get half and put it in escrow right now. Deal?

Omg u again :-p

You know it.

I think Kelsay could get 6 if things go well. *nods my head in agreement*

From a new position at 30 years old? A position that doesn't suit his already limited skillset? Maybe half that. For his salary Kelsay should be cut.

Eight for Maybin?? I'll bet you a grand he doesn't get half and put it in escrow right now. Deal?

You know it.

From a new position at 30 years old? A position that doesn't suit his already limited skillset? Maybe half that. For his salary Kelsay should be cut.

"If things go well" did u miss that part?

You know it.

You obviously haven't read the entire thread. I have no faith in Maybin what-so-ever. I'd make the same bet if I could find a sucker willing to make it.

6 sacks aren't a lot to ask. Some of those will be coverage sacks, some will come when the QB trips and falls...

We don't have a pass rush. We will finish 32nd in sacks this year.

"If things go well" did u miss that part?

If things are going that well I better play the lotto heavy this year. In the words of Carl Brutananadilewski, "it's never friggin' happening."

You obviously haven't read the entire thread. I have no faith in Maybin what-so-ever. I'd make the same bet if I could find a sucker willing to make it.

6 sacks aren't a lot to ask. Some of those will be coverage sacks, some will come when the QB trips and falls...

We don't have a pass rush. We will finish 32nd in sacks this year.

Trust me, I read all thrilling two pages of this thread. But you say you have "no faith" and yet you'll be "pleasantly surprised" with eight sacks? If you really have "no faith" in him I'd think you'd be a little more than "pleasantly surprised" with eight sacks. I have no faith either, obviously. He gets three sacks and I'll be pleasantly surprised. He gets eight and I'll take off all my clothes and run around the house during the first snowstorm.

If things are going that well I better play the lotto heavy this year. In the words of Carl Brutananadilewski, "it's never friggin' happening."

Trust me, I read all thrilling two pages of this thread. But you say you have "no faith" and yet you'll be "pleasantly surprised" with eight sacks? If you really have "no faith" in him I'd think you'd be a little more than "pleasantly surprised" with eight sacks. I have no faith either, obviously. He gets three sacks and I'll be pleasantly surprised. He gets eight and I'll take off all my clothes and run around the house during the first snowstorm.

Don't forget to take pics. but at least wear boxers.

:lol:

That's a pretty good question: who will lead the Bills in sacks this year? Someone has to have that honor. Do most teams have a clear cut favorite, I wonder? I was thinking earlier today that we as Bills fans were really spoiled with that 4 year run of SB's. For a while we didn't know what a crappy team was like - getting used to H.O.F's like Bruce Smith, Kelly, and Levy. Anyway, I'd love to say Maybin will take the torch, but I don't think he will. A linebacker seems the likeliest place to find a sack leader in the 3-4, so I'll have to go with Mitchell or Ellis. Then Maybin or Batten. I think Kyle Williams will give us 4 or 5, and I think Carrington will give us 4 or 5 more, too. So, my guess is Mitchell or Ellis gets 8 sacks and leads the team.