Who will lead the Bills in sacks?

Justice

Other than QB and OL, which we all know is very weak, the biggest question about our Buffalo Bills is the pass rush. IMO, we will have one of, if not the worst, pass rush in NFL history this year. Our secondary will suffer because of this and the Bills will lose a lot of games.

To keep things in perspective, the Bills are in year one of a huge transition from the Tampa Two to the 3-4 defense. This change-over will take a lot longer than one year to fill in the personnel necessary to make such a drastic change effective. The Bills are going in the opposite end of the spectrum with this defensive scheme change. Had the Bills been playing a 4-3 with normal sized athletes as opposed to the midgets that Jauron loved so much then the transition would have been much easier.

At this point, I'm ready for the worst of the worst from the Bills this season and we need it. Jerry Sullivan was right, the Bills NEED to suck. The Bills need to be the first team on the clock in the 2011 draft. These are the cards that Gailey and Co. have been dealt. They can only plug a few holes at a time on this sinking ship. The Bills will use the draft as their main strategy of replenishing the roster because of financial and geographical constraints and what better way of doing this having the first pick in every round?

One of the problem areas for the Bills that couldn't be fixed this off-season is the pass rush. Nix had to know this was going to be huge concern because he brought in a lot of linebackers for interviews and such to see if there was anyone out there that can help us in this area.

Hopefully the younger guys, such as, Coleman, Batten, Ellis, and Maybin can get to the quarterback this year, but I doubt it. I'm having a hard time deciding who will lead the Bills in sacks this year.

If I had to guess, I would say Kelsay would be the sack leader, and that my friends is a scary thought. Chris Kelsay didn't exactly terrorize opposing QB's during his tenure in Buffalo and there is no reason to believe that is going to change simply because he is changing positions this year but I select him never the less because no one on our roster has more sacks than Kelsay at this present time.

Come April, when the year is over with and the draft dawns upon us once again the Bills will have a huge decision to make. We have major needs at QB, OLB, and OT. In what order will the Bills address these needs? I do not envy the position Nix is in. This rebuild will not be easy.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybin appears to be taking the next step, I'll go with Maybin

I hope so, but Maybin spent a lot of time on the floor Friday. He just doesn't have the tools to be an effective pass rusher. He is a one trick pony that is easily stopped. Hopefully he can gain about 30 lbs and develop some nice counter moves. Until then, forget it.

Guest dog14787
I hope so, but Maybin spent a lot of time on the floor Friday. He just doesn't have the tools to be an effective pass rusher. He is a one trick pony that is easily stopped. Hopefully he can gain about 30 lbs and develop some nice counter moves. Until then, forget it.

The kid was really hustling to the ball and I like his speed, but I agree, he needs to bulk up even more...

I jsut hope he gets a ton of playing time so he can get his mistakes on field. Part of the problem with Maybin last year is that he didn't get coached up off film because there wasn't much on him. And that one spin was a thing of beauty. Obviously, he needs to develop a counter but the 3-4 allows a lot of open lanes because of the confusion it causes.

I think the sacks will really be spread out throughtout the roster. Maybe a bunch of guys with 4 or 5. I think it's also worth point out that lost in the middle of the bitchfest is the run defense was pretty solid. We gave up 4.7 ypc last year, 2nd word in the NFL. We gave up 3.4 ypc on Friday. That's a big improvement.

The kid was really hustling and I like his speed, but I agree, he needs to bulk up even more...

I'm starting to see a trend with Maybin's sacks in the pre-season. They all have come against second or third string tackles. He can't beat the ones. His speed is effective against the types of guys he faced in college.

ITS ONE MEANINGLESS GAME SO FAR PEOPLE. tHEY HAVEN'T BEGUN TO SHOW WHAT THEY MAY BE CAPABLE OF YET

I didn't need this one pre-season game to come to this conclusion and I wont need many more. They are what they are. I know a pass rusher when I see one and trust me when I say this my friend, we don't have one.

I jsut hope he gets a ton of playing time so he can get his mistakes on field. Part of the problem with Maybin last year is that he didn't get coached up off film because there wasn't much on him. And that one spin was a thing of beauty. Obviously, he needs to develop a counter but the 3-4 allows a lot of open lanes because of the confusion it causes.

I think the sacks will really be spread out throughtout the roster. Maybe a bunch of guys with 4 or 5. I think it's also worth point out that lost in the middle of the bitchfest is the run defense was pretty solid. We gave up 4.7 ypc last year, 2nd word in the NFL. We gave up 3.4 ypc on Friday. That's a big improvement.

Was it me or was Maybin lined up almost like an end on a 4-3? Was this by design? Are the Bills hiding something? If it were up to me, I'd line-up Maybin a little bit off the line of scrimmage. Let him rush the passer at a wider angle. His speed can help him more there.

Didn't Maybin do one spin move and almost sack the qb? I am going by my best recollection from what one poster said from viewing the game. It seems like he's working on his repertoire. Maybe he wants to know two tricks.

Was it me or was Maybin lined up almost like an end on a 4-3? Was this by design? Are the Bills hiding something? If it were up to me, I'd line-up Maybin a little bit off the line of scrimmage. Let him rush the passer at a wider angle. His speed can help him more there.

I think they been saying he will be lining up there in passing situations, like the nickel package. Also, the great thing about the 3-4 is the flexibility you have. Whatever you think about Maybin, he's fast off the edge. move him around and get free on the outside.

Didn't Maybin do one spin move and almost sack the qb? I am going by my best recollection from what one poster said from viewing the game. It seems like he's working on his repertoire. Maybe he wants to know two tricks.

Yes, he did have a spin move on his sack and I would like to see more of that, but against Trent Williams he just looked horrible. He spent a lot of time on one knee and just got swallowed by TW.

He has shown he can beat our tackles and 2nd and 3rd stringers, though, and that isn't saying much.

Yes, he did have a spin move on his sack and I would like to see more of that, but against Trent Williams he just looked horrible. He spent a lot of time on one knee and just got swallowed by TW.

He has shown he can beat our tackles and 2nd and 3rd stringers, though, and that isn't saying much.

Well, their 2nd string tackle started every game for them last year. http://www.nfl.com/players/stephonheyer/profile?id=HEY078589

So, who do you think will lead the Bills in sacks and how many will he have?

Oh ya, back to the subject at hand. hmmm... Honestly this is a toughy for me. Hard call. For now i'll go with Maybin. We have so many question marks it's not easy to say. Ok why not, Maybin. Wild guess.

oh ya, um, 8 sacks.