Growing Pains Is Good Thing In The Pre-Season

While the Bills didn't look good last night, its not time to panic just yet. Its the first pre-season game and we have an entire new coaching staff, new defensive and offense scheme with much different player personnel. This is a learning period for both the players and the coaching staff. One position that should raise concern is our quarterback situation. In the case of Edwards it is a GOOD thing that Gailey got to see the same mistakes from previous years in a live game and not just on film and in practice. Lets solve these problems as early as possible and not ride high into the regular season. Hopefully Gailey, the rest of the staff and the players take advantage of the adversity and use it to grow not only as a team but also as a coaching staff.

Go Bills!

While the Bills didn't look good last night, its not time to panic just yet. Its the first pre-season game and we have an entire new coaching staff, new defensive and offense scheme with much different player personnel. This is a learning period for both the players and the coaching staff. One position that should raise concern is our quarterback situation. In the case of Edwards it is GOOD that Gailey got to see the same mistakes from previous years in a live game and not just on film and in practice. Hopefully Gailey, the rest of the staff and the players take advantage of the adversity and use it grow not only as a team but also as a coaching staff.

Go Bills!

Well said forever . . . well said . . .

The preseason is just practice. Just practice . . . -A. Iverson

OMG. You're kidding, right? This team blows. I didn't need last night's laugh fest to convince me. WE HAVE NO OFFENSE and our defense is suspect. What does it take to get you rose-colored-glasses people to get it once and for all? We are the new Detroit Lions. We suck, we have sucked, and we will continue to suck until RW passes and the team leaves Buffalo. Give it up already and latch on to another team. This one has had it!

I would rather watch Growing Pains than the Bills.

Just kidding, but that one was tough to watch. Hopefully they improve. Trent should play better next week because he is going against a 4-3 defense. He just can't seem to figure out the 3-4s.

I am hoping Gailey can use the pre-season to make the necessary adjustments to tweak the scheme. Finding all the flaws will help. One thing I don't want this team are the players especially in the quarterback position being to be overly confident going into the regular season. We are young and unproven in a lot of positions. I really want the Bills to play "desperate" football instead of the conservative nature of past regimes. We need Trent to play desperate most of all. While confidence is nice to have, we just do not have the talent level at this point and it clouds who they really are.

I am hoping Gailey can use the pre-season to make the necessary adjustments to tweak the scheme. Finding all the flaws will help. One thing I don't want this team are the players especially in the quarterback position being to be overly confident going into the regular season. We are young and unproven in a lot of positions. I really want the Bills to play "desperate" football instead of the conservative nature of past regimes. We need Trent to play desperate most of all. While confidence is nice to have, we just do not have the talent level at this point and it clouds who they really are.

I too prefer unconfident quarterbacks.

I too prefer unconfident quarterbacks.

IMO, desperation will be the key to Trent's ability to throw the ball down field successfully. He has to get over this fear. Then he can grow confidence and become a leader. He has showed glimpses of talent. With the correct coaching/schemes and a different psychological approach might be able to "fix" him.

Jaurons conservative schemes did not help him when he was struggling and have been counter-productive to his growth or helping him get out of his current slump of the last few years.

OMG. You're kidding, right? This team blows. I didn't need last night's laugh fest to convince me. WE HAVE NO OFFENSE and our defense is suspect. What does it take to get you rose-colored-glasses people to get it once and for all? We are the new Detroit Lions. We suck, we have sucked, and we will continue to suck until RW passes and the team leaves Buffalo. Give it up already and latch on to another team. This one has had it!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

IMO, desperation will be the key to Trent's ability to throw the ball down field successfully. He has to get over this fear. Then he can grow confidence and become a leader. He has showed glimpses of talent. With the correct coaching/schemes and a different psychological approach might be able to "fix" him.

Jaurons conservative schemes did not help him when he was struggling and have been counter-productive to his growth or helping him get out of his current slump of the last few years.

A slump is when an otherwise good player has a bad game or two. What we have with Trent is a bad player that's had a decent game or two. In other words, a couple of good games in 30 or so starts is a bad career, not a slump.

While the Bills didn't look good last night, its not time to panic just yet. Its the first pre-season game and we have an entire new coaching staff, new defensive and offense scheme with much different player personnel. This is a learning period for both the players and the coaching staff. One position that should raise concern is our quarterback situation. In the case of Edwards it is a GOOD thing that Gailey got to see the same mistakes from previous years in a live game and not just on film and in practice. Lets solve these problems as early as possible and not ride high into the regular season. Hopefully Gailey, the rest of the staff and the players take advantage of the adversity and use it to grow not only as a team but also as a coaching staff.

Go Bills!

Call 'em growing pains all you want, that's not what they are.

They're a team playing up to it's talent level.

They're not as bad as they looked. As Marv said, you're never as bad as you look in a big loss and never as good as you look in a big win. But losing to the Skins was indicative of how good they are as a team.

Oh, one last thing, you said "In the case of Edwards it is a GOOD thing that Gailey got to see the same mistakes from previous years in a live game and not just on film and in practice." The only way it's good is if you really think Gailey is incapable of learning from film or practice. Gailey has been watching Trent intensely. He knows his problems as well as his strengths. If Trent can make great improvements, who knows, maybe he can be a legit NFL QB. But right now, he's the best of the Not Ready For Prime Time QBs we've got on the roster.

This is the first year of a rebuild. The folks who thought we were going to be good this year were letting their hopes carry their sense away. If, and it's a big if, but if Nix and Gailey and Whaley are the right people to turn us around, it is still going to take another year or two. The horrible thing would be if they are, like so many before, not the right people, and we won't know it for another three years or so. Let's hope they're the right folk. They stand a decent chance of being the people who can turn us around.