Aaron Maybin

Maybin played the entire game tonight.

And I'm really glad.

He got tossed around out there. And I'm glad.

A year after being taken in the first round, he's on our roster at least until the end of this year. So if he gets tossed around for four entire preseason games, great. Let him take his licks. Based on how badly he was manhandled by the Washington first and second stringers, I'm guessing he doesn't even sniff the field during the regular season.

The dude is small. Not even for a professional football player, but for a grown athletic male, he's small.

If he gets nicked during the preseason gauntlet that I hope Chan continues to put him through, it will be the best thing for his career. He needs to take 11 months, and gain 40 pounds. Or else he's out.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybin played the entire game tonight.

And I'm really glad.

He got tossed around out there. And I'm glad.

A year after being taken in the first round, he's on our roster at least until the end of this year. So if he gets tossed around for four entire preseason games, great. Let him take his licks. Based on how badly he was manhandled by the Washington first and second stringers, I'm guessing he doesn't even sniff the field during the regular season.

The dude is small. Not even for a professional football player, but for a grown athletic male, he's small.

If he gets nicked during the preseason gauntlet that I hope Chan continues to put him through, it will be the best thing for his career. He needs to take 11 months, and gain 40 pounds. Or else he's out.

I noticed he played the entire game too...thought it was some sort of punishment.

Having said that I thought he showed some flashes of being decent enough to not be labeled a bust......it is encouraging.

I noticed he played the entire game too...thought it was some sort of punishment.

Having said that I though he showed some flashes of being decent enough to not be labeled a bust..it is encouraging.

Yup. He didn't have a great game, but he showed flashes of why he was drafted. He is VERY quick. Give the guy more PT in the preseason and see if he starts to figure it out. I was a bit encouraged by his performance tonight.

Yup. He didn't have a great game, but he showed flashes of why he was drafted. He is VERY quick. Give the guy more PT in the preseason and see if he starts to figure it out. I was a bit encouraged by his performance tonight.

I was thinking the same thing. The speed is there, the guy is fast. I think the anouncer said it was the first time he had seen Maybin do a spin move(that was when he recorded the sack). Hopefully he can figure our more moves.

I thought it was a good indicator that they kept him in there. It seems like they reconize his raw talent and really want him to get a lot of experience and get to that level of understanding. I think they are definently pushing him.

Keep in mind he missed the entirety of his rookie training camp and preseason. Honestly, I don't see it as an encouraging sign as much as a thing of necessity.

Sure, Deano, he's quick, but he's playing way WAY too light. How much of that quickness does he maintain when finally gets up to a reasonable playing weight?

Keep in mind he missed the entirety of his rookie training camp and preseason. Honestly, I don't see it as an encouraging sign as much as a thing of necessity.

Well there it is...

Regardless if the plan was to gain him experience so there was actually some film for him and the coaches to work on, it's over. We should just start a thread telling Buddy to "get'r done," because that always works.

Glad we saved all that time!!!

Well there it is...

Regardless if the plan was to gain him experience so there was actually some film for him and the coaches to work on, it's over. We should just start a thread telling Buddy to "get'r done," because that always works.

Glad we saved all that time!!!

:censored:

This guy was the 11th overall pick a year ago and we're still talking about being encouraged that he shows flashes of potential against 3rd string tackles in a preseason game? $15 million in guaranteed money over a year ago and we're still not sure if he can play?

IMHO any team would want immediate and sustained production from a top-12 pick given the big money that's being thrown their way. Top-12 picks are not supposed to be projects. I hope I'm wrong, but this guy has 'bust' written all over him.

This guy was the 11th overall pick a year ago and we're still talking about being encouraged that he shows flashes of potential against 3rd string tackles in a preseason game? $15 million in guaranteed money over a year ago and we're still not sure if he can play?

IMHO any team would want immediate and sustained production from a top-12 pick given the big money that's being thrown their way. Top-12 picks are not supposed to be projects. I hope I'm wrong, but this guy has 'bust' written all over him.

1. Matthew Stafford (QB)

2. Jason Smith (T)

3. Tyson Jackson (DE)

4. Aaron Curry (LB)

5. Mark Sanchez (QB)

6. Andre Smith (T)

7. Darrius Heyward-Bey (WR)

8. Eugene Monroe (T)

9. BJ Raji (DT)

10. Michael Crabtree (WR)

11. Aaron Maybin (DE/LB)

12. Knowshon Moreno (HB)

There are more than a fair share of projects on this list IMO.

At this point, who cares where he was picked? He didn't have a say in the matter and the people responsible for the pick are gone, why rehash it over and over? Right now all that matters is if he can help the team. He may be a bust for a 12th overall pick, but that doens't mean he can't learn the position and help us win some games, even if it's only on 3rd and long.

I was thinking the same thing. The speed is there, the guy is fast. I think the anouncer said it was the first time he had seen Maybin do a spin move(that was when he recorded the sack). Hopefully he can figure our more moves.

I'm glad that he played as much as he did. He needs all the playing time he can get. That spin move he made when he got the sack was fantastic.

I'm glad that he played as much as he did. He needs all the playing time he can get. That spin move he made when he got the sack was fantastic.

i think thats a lot of what he needs, moves like spins. he has the blazing fast first step, but he's not a bruce smith DE who can bull rush lineman. he needs spin moves and stunts etc. i'm glad he's trying them out.

i think thats a lot of what he needs, moves like spins. he has the blazing fast first step, but he's not a bruce smith DE who can bull rush lineman. he needs spin moves and stunts etc. i'm glad he's trying them out.

Something Bruce had that Maybin doesn't seem to have is an understanding of angles. Bruce may have taken his blocker in one direction or another, but it was with the intent of creating a direct angle of attack to the QB. Maybin needs to be able to visualize this better instead of just flailing around at high speed.

Something Bruce had that Maybin doesn't seem to have is an understanding of angles. Bruce may have taken his blocker in one direction or another, but it was with the intent of creating a direct angle of attack to the QB. Maybin needs to be able to visualize this better instead of just flailing around at high speed.

This is why I was not thrilled about the drafting of Maybin, I did not see him as an instant impact player, and may not have a real impact until his third season.

However if he plays as much in the preseason as he did tonight, he may just have an impact this season.

He looked like an other early in the second year Aaron we all will miss around here. Showed some stuff got killed in some stuff. he will improve IMO. Ellis and our bust from 4years ago looked alright from what I saw. Linebackers we badly need depth!

One thing tonight really pointed out is non cover2 means much more man coverage, Corner and Wilson got long looks tonight and both pretty much stunk it up. They will have to improve or I see the wavier wire in their futures. We also missed a lot of people because of injury, which begs the question, how long before the strength and conditioning work kicks in? I know it takes time but too many missing pieces already and we are starting to many back ups already.

I will try to have patience and stay optimistic just the same, this rebuilding crap takes time.

The beginning of the season will be tough, but if we can avoid the injury bug they might start to look like a team after the bye.