O-line and QB

jahnyc

Two years in a row where we have not addressed the o-line or the QB situation. What excuse was there for this season?

Last year, we traded Peters, cut Walker, picked up a center who was a back-up for the Panthers, started two rookies and a raw second year player. It was a disaster that was exacerbated by the injuries. Fast forward to this year. Butler retires, we sign Cornell Green (a player the Raiders did not want any more), we draft Wang and Calloway in the later rounds of the draft and we hope Wood and Bell can come back from significant injuries. If possible, the current o-line may be worse than last year's o-line, with few quality players and no depth. How does the front office explain this? How do you go into the season like this?

With the QB situation, I do not understand why a veteran QB was not signed to compete with Trent. I think it will be very difficult for Trent to have success this year, particularly with this o-line and his past experiences.

I really do think that Gailey can coach an offense, but he will have real problems with this o-line and QB situation.

I'm pretty sure that the only problem has been lack of continuity in terms of offensive coordinator. Give Gailey 5-6 years and Trent will be a stud, with Bell completely owning every edge rusher in the league. Anyway, our hands were tied this offseason. We had to go with 3-4 players early because most of our old players were bad fits for the new scheme. And we had no choice but to go for Spiller, because he's got game-breaking excitability. Did you see how fast he was on that 11-yard run? That was sick.

I'm pretty sure that the only problem has been lack of continuity in terms of offensive coordinator. Give Gailey 5-6 years and Trent will be a stud, with Bell completely owning every edge rusher in the league. Anyway, our hands were tied this offseason. We had to go with 3-4 players early because most of our old players were bad fits for the new scheme. And we had no choice but to go for Spiller, because he's got game-breaking excitability. Did you see how fast he was on that 11-yard run? That was sick.

You fit the system to the players you have. I like the Spiller pick and I like the Troup pick. But really, did we have the luxury to pick them? I mean c'mon, Joique Bell looks like a world beater out there. Why did we not get a LT early?

let no one miss the sarcasm

You fit the system to the players you have. I like the Spiller pick and I like the Troup pick. But really, did we have the luxury to pick them? I mean c'mon, Joique Bell looks like a world beater out there. Why did we not get a LT early?

Right on!!! With the obvious holes on office, I was surprised when they announced the switch to the 3-4. The defense wasn't as bad as the stats last year because the offense was so bad. I didn't understand why they didn't focus on fixing the offense first. If the defense faltered, then consider a scheme switch next year.

Rex Grossman was available as a free agent, too!! But, was he really that good or was our defense that bad??

Two years in a row where we have not addressed the o-line or the QB situation. What excuse was there for this season?

Last year, we traded Peters, cut Walker, picked up a center who was a back-up for the Panthers, started two rookies and a raw second year player. It was a disaster that was exacerbated by the injuries. Fast forward to this year. Butler retires, we sign Cornell Green (a player the Raiders did not want any more), we draft Wang and Calloway in the later rounds of the draft and we hope Wood and Bell can come back from significant injuries. If possible, the current o-line may be worse than last year's o-line, with few quality players and no depth. How does the front office explain this? How do you go into the season like this?

With the QB situation, I do not understand why a veteran QB was not signed to compete with Trent. I think it will be very difficult for Trent to have success this year, particularly with this o-line and his past experiences.

I really do think that Gailey can coach an offense, but he will have real problems with this o-line and QB situation.

The Bills did address the offensive line last offseason, with a first round pick (Wood) and a second round pick (Levitre). Granted, those guys are interior linemen, when what the line really needs is a LT, C, and RT. Wood could turn into that center, but the holes at the tackle positions remain, and have not been adequately addressed.

But your overall point still stands. The Bills need a QB, and they need offensive linemen at the most challenging and difficult to fill positions. If the Bills come away from the 2011 draft with nothing else, I hope they at least find a first-rate QB and a very solid LT. That's not too much to ask, is it? :censored:

It's like I said after the 2010 Draft was completed, the Bills are tanking it this year in order to be able to acquire a top 3 pick next year (i.e. the year of the franchise QB!!). They will draft their franchise QB next year with a top 3 pick and then look to shore up the O-line for him next year with veteran players.

That appears to be the plan.

No way do the Bills compete this year.

I just don't understand going into the season expecting that Wood and Bell will be able to hold up the entire season, Green is the answer at RT, or that they can get by with absolutely no depth on the o-line. The front office is being reckless, unless they are not being given the financial resources to address the o-line.

I just don't understand going into the season expecting that Wood and Bell will be able to hold up the entire season, Green is the answer at RT, or that they can get by with absolutely no depth on the o-line. The front office is being reckless, unless they are not being given the financial resources to address the o-line.

Not reckless. Downright dumb ass.

FINALLY. A thread with some semblance of intelligence being displayed! It seems like certain posters on this site choose to bury their heads in the sand and accept everything OBD does. Why is it so hard for people to accept reality? You need at least a halfway-decent QB and a solid OL if you want to be competitive in the NFL. The Bills front office has wasted high draft picks on RB's year after year. Just look at their #1 and #2 picks for the last decade. Did they really need Spiller? You mean to tell me that they couldn't find a good LT in this past draft? C'mon. They could have fixed the OL by selecting a pair of bookend OT's or at least taken one at #9 and then made a deal for a RT via trade or FA. Or was Buddy trying to rub S.Diego's nose in it by selecting Spiller before S.Diego made their pick? I repeat. Spiller was a luxury that the Bills couldn't afford at that pick...

who.. who... WHO ??

give me a name of a top LT that was available at pick 9 that could play this year. if you think it was A.Davis, well, one of the backs running behind him just abruptly retired LOL. now that inspires confidence like nothing else !

~AS

Well said.

Anyone with half a brain could see that the o-line needed serious repair and a lot more depth given the injuries to Wood and Bell. How many years straight have we been complaining about the o-line? 10 years?

I still am ticked over letting Langston Walker go last year. He was serviceable.

If I have to see Kirk Chambers one more time on my TV screen, I'm going to throw it out the window.