As a Native American

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But still, what's your point? It's just the colloquial name of the collective people in America descended from the indigenous peoples. I don't think you're really educating anybody when you say that most of us were born here in America.

That's the problem. The term native american already had a meaning before it was reassigned for political correctness. Aboriginal American is the proper name for those who are too racially sensitive to use the term American Indian.

The Redskins and the Seminoles aren't derogatory terms. They are synonymous with football. You should not take offence with that, but rather feel pride.

I think people are too sensitive these days.

Seminoles isn't derogatory because it's the name of a tribe. Redskins IS derogatory because it's the rough equivalent of Negroes. If there were a team named the Negroes, would you argue that black people shouldn't feel offended because they are now "synonymous with football"?

Seminoles isn't derogatory because it's the name of a tribe. Redskins IS derogatory because it's the rough equivalent of Negroes. If there were a team named the Negroes, would you argue that black people shouldn't feel offended because they are now "synonymous with football"?

good post

If there was a team called the Whiteskins, I might try to get offended, but no matter how hard I tried, I just don't think I could get that worried about it.

Just thought I'd express myself and vent for a moment.

I can think of no more disrespectful and derogatory team name in all of American sport.

Could you imagine the Harlem Blackskins or the San Francisco Yellows?

I cringe every time I hear their name....oh well.

Ever see the Boston Celtic Logo? What about The Fighting Irish? Cartroonish, Bafoonish Sterotypical Irish right??? But It's OK because it's a white guy?? I'm Irish and I could get all bent out of shape and whine... But I won't because if I did I would lower myself to welefare, the government owes mentality... I refuse to see myself as a dreg of society and choose to focus on the positive impact my people have made on this country...

OK.. I'm off my soap box.. Beer time...

Quick! Everyone get on your sensitivity suits!

Sometimes, I hate this country and what's become of it.

Ever see the Boston Celtic Logo? What about The Fighting Irish? Cartroonish, Bafoonish Sterotypical Irish right??? But It's OK because it's a white guy?? I'm Irish and I could get all bent out of shape and whine... But I won't because if I did I would lower myself to welefare, the government owes mentality... I refuse to see myself as a dreg of society and choose to focus on the positive impact my people have made on this country...

OK.. I'm off my soap box.. Beer time...

Good man.

:thumbsup:

I am all for changing the name,if it is offensive to people. I'm still holding out for a day where the acknowledgement of skin tones is not offensive though. In a world that is full of offensive things, why we spend so much time focusing on skin color is beyond me.

Besides the most offensive skin tone is probably my pasty white complexion.

Well said brother! It's just ignorant poster day on TBD.

Just thought I'd express myself and vent for a moment.

I can think of no more disrespectful and derogatory team name in all of American sport.

Could you imagine the Harlem Blackskins or the San Francisco Yellows?

I cringe every time I hear their name....oh well.

Fighting Irish

Nuff said...At least its not the "Drunken Indians" shut up and grow a sack...there's not a people alive who haven't been persecuted sometime somewhere in this crazy mixed up world of ours

Are you the real deal or one of those "I'm 5% Cherokee people?" Regardless, I'm a white guy, but diehard Native history and culture. I go up to Pine Ridge and the Black Hills once a year. Personally I am more offended by the Braves and Seminoles chant more than anything, then the Indians logo second and the Redskins name third. The Redskins do have a very respectful and badass logo. I am very offended that the Fighting Sioux of North Dakota were forced to give up their nickname. How is that any different than the Fighting Irish? The Seminoles name and logo is also totally respectful, although I think they have some goofy mascot. The point is that I think it's totally cool to pay homage to Natives with a mascot or team name as long as it's not done in poor tatse and there are clearly plenty of examples of both in sports today.

Seminole grad here. Our mascot is anything but goofy. His outfit is vetted by the Seminole tribe and he rides in on a fine horse and plants a burning spear in the center of the field. The university is fully supported by the Seminole tribe and there is a good scholarship program in place for them to attend.

Go Noles! Dude, the chant is awesome.