Patriots

Only if they want to spend big money, which is not their M/O.

Especially now, considering they laid out for the improvements at Gillette and Patriette* Place (which sounds like it's a commercial bomb) and Fat Vince, all while Bob Kraft's other main business is paper, a dying industry, with his website listing his other ventures as "commercial real estate" (another mess at the moment) and private equity (also a big victim of the recent financial crisis). Since it's a private company he doesn't have to publish his financials, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's got a lot less money than folks think these days. Some of his competitors in the paper biz have either declared or threatened bankruptcy.....

We could not beat them when Tom Brady was out for the season, what makes you think we will be them when a D-lineman goes down? They've beaten us with only 1 defensive lineman on the field in the past. This really doesn't make me feel any better about the BIlls chances against that Pats*.

Stop it with the painful facts.

Ouch.

Did anyone see the Patriots game last night?

That WR/PR Julian Edelman looks really good.

He's good. They used him last year in the Welker role when Welker was incapacitated. I don't think he's as good as WW but I'd take him on the Bills in the slot any day.

Losing Warren is a huge blow. Jerod Mayo's bid to rebound from last year's sophomore slump just took a huge nosedive.

The Pats will have to rely on offense now. But with Welker coming back from injury, Holt being placed on IR, Mankins possibly holding-out until week 10 and Kaczur being out, (still) no running game, and basically Crumpler and a couple rookies at TE, that might not be so easy.

Losing Warren is a huge blow. Jerod Mayo's bid to rebound from last year's sophomore slump just took a huge nosedive.

The Pats will have to rely on offense now. But with Welker coming back from injury, Holt being placed on IR, Mankins possibly holding-out until week 10 and Kaczur being out, (still) no running game, and basically Crumpler and a couple rookies at TE, that might not be so easy.

Losing the Warren of the last 2 years isn't a huge blow frankly for he's been barely adequate. He is a proven vet however who needs to be replaced. Hopefully his namesake, Gerrard, can fill his void.

Mayo will be a very interesting player to watch this year as he not only returns 100% healthy from injury that hobbled him last year but he also returns back to the position he was DROY at, WILB, assuming Spikes plays SILB which looks to be the case.

It remains to be seen how Connolly fairs in place of Mankins should the later continue holding out. Kaczur's RT spot is being handled by Vollmer who is a far superior player.

By all accounts, Welker is back, cutting, and reversing direction as usual. The rookie TE's are indeed ? but thus far they have been stellar in their performance.

Especially now, considering they laid out for the improvements at Gillette and Patriette* Place (which sounds like it's a commercial bomb) and Fat Vince, all while Bob Kraft's other main business is paper, a dying industry, with his website listing his other ventures as "commercial real estate" (another mess at the moment) and private equity (also a big victim of the recent financial crisis). Since it's a private company he doesn't have to publish his financials, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's got a lot less money than folks think these days. Some of his competitors in the paper biz have either declared or threatened bankruptcy.....

Your use of the word paper is very misleading. Rand-Whitney's http://randwhitney.com/ main business is corrugated cardboard packaging. When you order an item from amazon.com does it come in a corrugated cardboard box?

I know the guy who runs the Worcester, MA Rand-Whitney plant and they have been running 3 shifts for as long as I've known him.

BTW: Kraft is anything but cheap. The Pats are always near the top when it comes to spending on the salary cap.

Your use of the word paper is very misleading. Rand-Whitney's http://randwhitney.com/ main business is corrugated cardboard packaging. When you order an item from amazon.com does it come in a corrugated cardboard box?

I know the guy who runs the Worcester, MA Rand-Whitney plant and they have been running 3 shifts for as long as I've known him.

BTW: Kraft is anything but cheap. The Pats are always near the top when it comes to spending on the salary cap.

Interesting point, but I personally still suspect that they're hurting just the same, even taking your point re: packaging versus pure paper since packaging is still heavily tied to the level of economic activity--economic activity goes down (as it has the last two years), so does your business. I'm also not sure that there's much future growth in pulp/paper considering potential tech alternatives, but I'm no expert. I did find the recycling business part of interest and that may become a growth business based on current "green initiatives". None of the above relates, however, to the other two businesses listed--commercial real estate and PE. Of course, since Kraft is a private company, none of us will know for sure how he's doing. I still do conjecture (and that's all it is) that some of his recent football decisions (like not paying Mankins or Brady) may be impacted by the health of his other businesses.

Kraft may not be cheap, but he has in the past benefitted from players taking less than market deals to get a shot at winning a SB--I suspect that that may continue to change as well, particularly after this season.....