Steve Johnson #2 WR?

Cory

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe because TO and Reed were still here?

That was my biggest disappointment last year with the TO signing. I knew that would take away from Steve Johnson getting more playing time. I think that if Buffalo had passed on Owens, we would have been farther ahead this year at wide receiver. Granted we wouldn't have sold as many season tickets last year, but I don't think we benefited talent wise by having him. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a TO hater; I was excited to have him here. But I think he hurt player development.

That was my biggest disappointment last year with the TO signing. I knew that would take away from Steve Johnson getting more playing time. I think that if Buffalo had passed on Owens, we would have been farther ahead this year at wide receiver. Granted we wouldn't have sold as many season tickets last year, but I don't think we benefited talent wise by having him. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a TO hater; I was excited to have him here. But I think he hurt player development.

Some fans wanted a LT instead of another RB, but Spiller should bring some excitement as should Steve Johnson.

From training camp, it looks like the new staff is on track to get the best players on the field (not just based on their draft selection).

On the other hand, SJ was able to learn by watching TO come to work. SJ himself has said that TO has taught him quite a few things. I hope some of those play making abilities rubbed off on Johnson.

Our rebuilding of the WR position(s) starts with Johnson. He has shown glimpses of the ability to play in the NFL in the very minimal amount of time on the field. If he can just become a solid 3 this year I would be happy. The combination of Evans, Parrish and Johnson have a lot of speed. IMO, he has the ability to be a dark horse for this team. Hopefully the coaching staff let this kid play.

The problem I fear with Johnson is that he regressed pretty badly in terms of statistical accomplishments last year. Understandable in that he is far less valued on this team than Evans and the team added TO who actually far outpaced Evans in terms of production last year (like TO or not the simple fact is he led the team in both catches and yards last year).

My fear for SJ is that my experience has been that the best WRs simply demand the ball be thrown them because they are so much better than their competition that they get wide open a lot. What happens is that the superior player forces the OC to call plays with him as an option and the QB begins to throw that players way because they are clearly open a lot. Further, when the catch the ball even on short check-off plays, the top quality WR turns them into extraordinary gains.

Johnson did not do this last year and though it is not impossible he will do better this year, him making a great step forward in his play to produce merely adequate #2 numbers simply is not good enough to force opponents to think twice about dting Evans (a demonstrated method of neutralizing him).

SJ runs great routes, has good hands, etc, but there is simply nothing in his real world performance record to indicate he can be the type of performer we need in order to make our passing game even adequate. I expect SJ to step up quite a bit now that he is #2, but even doing this I think we will not be adequate.

The only solution I see on this roster is if Spiller shows the ability to be lined up wide. If so, this creates match-up issues for the opponent which I think would make Evans a far more effective WR.

Get outta here. No really, get outta here.

I so agree ... what a sad commentary to criticize someone for going to 'their team's training camp!'

Some of my best memories as a boy are when my dad took time from work to take me out to see the Bills' training camp even though the team wasn't very good. I was able to see my favorite players up close and my journey as a Bills' fan began both for the good and the bad times.

If you don't see a value in visiting a training camp or going to games then why are you here? The Falcons' fan page might be calling out your name or perhaps you are just one of the all too many negative voices on this board who get some sort of strange personal satisfaction from raining on others' parades.

One of my friends just posted to his Facebook the joy of taking his adult son to their favorite football team's training camp ... had nothing to do with the team's win-loss record but had everything about bonding between father & son along with others who are fans of a sports team.

I am too far away to get up to Rochester for training camp but if I was up in the Buffalo area I know I'd make at least one visit and look skyward to thank dad for helping me become a fan of this team.