How many 1st and 2nd round picks can you have not starting?

San-O

Truly, a testament to why having your head of college scouting work from Florida on a part-time basis is not a real good idea.

Or perhaps why the decision makers ought to have listened to their head of college scouting. Unless you were in the war room, you don't know which.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the linked article either

Buffalo Bills Draft History 1999-2009 databaseFootball.com

**putting this up here because you have to look at the full draft IMO* I do see the point, but well, more information is better. I also think it doesn't really matter what draft slotting someone has so far as if they improve the team (of course it does in other ways. i.e dollars and future drafts)

After looking at it, I think the fact we have no one on the team that we drafted only 8 years ago is a pretty BIG disappointment! and inditment of the FO but the last few years have improved. I think, we will see.

While I agree that the Bills haven't drafted well overall, the point that nobody has lasted 8 years for us is very very typical indeed for a team that has had two major regime changes in that 8 years. Particularly when the new regimes switch schemes, first to the big monster OLs and the Tampa Two with more zone defense and now to the smaller OLs and back to the 3 - 4 with more man-to-man. Each time you make a switch like that, you basically can expect to lose 80 - 90% of your players because they won't fit the new scheme.

Aaron Schobel, who likely doubted that he'd be a very good OLB, is an excellent example.

While I agree that the Bills haven't drafted well overall, the point that nobody has lasted 8 years for us is very very typical indeed for a team that has had two major regime changes in that 8 years. Particularly when the new regimes switch schemes, first to the big monster OLs and the Tampa Two with more zone defense and now to the smaller OLs and back to the 3 - 4 with more man-to-man. Each time you make a switch like that, you basically can expect to lose 80 - 90% of your players because they won't fit the new scheme.

Aaron Schobel, who likely doubted that he'd be a very good OLB, is an excellent example.

This is neither here nor there, but Tom Modrak wasn't involved in the 2001 draft. He was hired by the Bills a month or two after the draft occurred. His first one was the Mike Williams draft. He fully admitted later that he blew that one, saying that he thought big maulers like Williams could play in today's NFL at a high level. He basically said that if a RT couldn't pass protect well, they weren't worthy of high picks -- unlike in the old days.

Or perhaps why the decision makers ought to have listened to their head of college scouting. Unless you were in the war room, you don't know which.

over the last 10 years, there have been at least 4 different coaching staffs, but the one constant has been our part time head of college scouting.

I find it real hard to believe that Modrak has been identifying the right players and 4 different staffs have all overruled him on every pick. 

Occam's Razor would find otherwise

Also convenient that since Modrak is the only survivor, he gets to put out the after-the-fact spin most favorable to his position regarding who he really wanted

Good points, but I think you're presuming that Modrak is responsible for the top picks. I'm pretty sure that there's an elderly gentleman from Detroit who is making the calls on these picks ...

Ralph gets help with his cornflakes in the morning. No way he has input on the draft. :P