Here's my Training Camp Report from Monday 8/9/10

Mike32282

Here ya go. My report from Day 11 of Training Camp is finally finished. Hope ya enjoy it. If you have any questions or comments, go ahead and post them. I will try to reply to all.

Day 11 of Buffalo Bills Training Camp brought some rain to St. John Fisher College. It was enough to cancel the full team autograph session, but not enough to cancel practice. Head Coach Chan Gailey chose to go ahead with practice because the players have to learn how to play in rain and other inclement weather. While the rain did chase some fans away, the stands at Growney Stadium were still pretty full. Many people brought ponchos and umbrellas to keep dry. The players used this weather as a way to practice with a wet football and on wet turf. After all, Ralph Wilson Stadium always seems to have at least one rain game per season.

The players started streaming out of the locker room around 7:35 and practice began at 7:45, lasting until 9:00pm. A couple familiar faces were back on the field after missing the first week of camp. Keith Ellison practiced individually and in the 7-on-7 drills, while Paul Posluszny was held out of practice due to the wet turf. The coaches didn't want to risk him re-injuring himself. Receivers David Nelson and Roscoe Parrish were also back practicing with the team.

As always, the team spent time on individual drills, working on fundamentals and then worked on some special teams drills. The first was the kickoff returns. Rian Lindell kicked off to CJ Spiller, Leodis McKelvin, Chad Jackson and Donald Jones. The team then worked on some punt returns. Brian Moorman kicked from several places on the field, including out of his own end zone. He was his usual stellar self, kicking several over 50-yards. Moorman also spent time practicing some coffin corner kicks that fell out of bounds inside the 15-yard line. C.J. Spiller and Leodis McKelvin were the main punt catchers.......

CLICK HERE FOR MORE:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job Mike! Thanks for the report.

It's great to Edwards stepping up. I watched the update from BB.com and thought to myself that he really looked confidant and was throwing darts. It would be awesome if he played to his full potential this year...one less issue!

Que the whiners 3-2-1.....

As always Mike, thanks and great report!!

"1. It was nice to see Chan Gailey have the players practice in the rain. You have to play in the rain, so it makes sense to practice in it. Now hopefully he does the same thing with the snow. It would be nice to finally have a team that can handle the bad weather." I agree 100%. I never understood why Jauron didn't have the team practicing in the bad weather?

In your opinion, how does the running game look so far compared to last season? Better, worse or the same?

Here ya go. My report from Day 11 of Training Camp is finally finished. Hope ya enjoy it. If you have any questions or comments, go ahead and post them. I will try to reply to all.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE:

As usual your reports are superb. They are as good if not better than the reports coming from the professional writers. They certainly are more comprehensive.

It's good to see that Edwards is getting into the rhythm. You need to be saluted for your insightful observation. You were the first person to make the claim that Edwards was clearly the best by far qb on the field. While the TE critics were ready to pounce you keenly watched what was happening on the field and made an observation which came to pass. What is obvious now wasn't so obvious when you first stated your opinion about the competing qbs.

Is Bell on the field as the starting LT? How is he moving? Does he seem comfortable in his position or does he seem to still have problems grasping the offense?

Thanks again. Your reports are the best part of the board. I always look forward to what you have to say. <_<

great job <_<

and really nice to read they finally battle the elements.

when i was coaching, the only time practice was canceled was because of lightning.

and we NEVER practiced indoors.

well, we couldnt. no facilities ^^. but even if we wouldnt had.

As always - thanks!!!!

No problem!

Great job Mike! Thanks for the report.

It's great to Edwards stepping up. I watched the update from BB.com and thought to myself that he really looked confidant and was throwing darts. It would be awesome if he played to his full potential this year...one less issue!

Que the whiners 3-2-1.....

I'll admit, I was one of the Edwards haters, but he's starting to win me back. I'm impressed with how much better he's getting each day. Maybe Gailey's coaching is finally getting rid of the kitty that we saw last year.

Great report! Regarding Hardy, my brother was talking to Eric Moulds this weekend, their sons play baseball and basketball together in Amherst. Gailey asked Moulds to come to camp and talk to the receivers and said he is not impressed by Hardy. He said he would correct his mistakes and Hardy would go back out and do same thing again. He said Jackson is a good receiver and should make the team. FWIW.

As always Mike, thanks and great report!!

"1. It was nice to see Chan Gailey have the players practice in the rain. You have to play in the rain, so it makes sense to practice in it. Now hopefully he does the same thing with the snow. It would be nice to finally have a team that can handle the bad weather." I agree 100%. I never understood why Jauron didn't have the team practicing in the bad weather?

In your opinion, how does the running game look so far compared to last season? Better, worse or the same?

Thanks man! I really hate Dick Jauron more than ever after watching Chan Gailey coach so far and listening to him talk. He really was the worst coach we've ever had! <_<

As for the running game, it's hard to tell in practice. But Lynch is running harder and with more authority. Spiller is a speed demon and Jackson is solid, but he does look a bit slower.

Thank you, Michael.

Glad to hear that Chris Kelsay showed a glimpse of ball skills, especially seeing as he's still the presumed starter. He'll need to hone his linebacker skills. It's critical that he make the most of this crash course.

Glad also to hear about Antonio Coleman. I was very impressed with the YouTube stuff I saw. I'm still very surprised he wasn't drafted.

While on the subject of linebackers, it's interesting to note that the Bills plan on solving that riddle with some combination of undrafted free agents, veteran free agents, late round draft picks, and converted defensive ends.

No problem!

I'll admit, I was one of the Edwards haters, but he's starting to win me back. I'm impressed with how much better he's getting each day. Maybe Gailey's coaching is finally getting rid of the kitty that we saw last year.

You are breaking away from the DarthIce influence. That is a positive step in your multi-step rehabilitation. Getting away from negative influences. Some people become invested in their opinions. Keep doing what you are doing: Observing with your eyes and mind open. LOL

Thanks man! I really hate Dick Jauron more than ever after watching Chan Gailey coach so far and listening to him talk. He really was the worst coach we've ever had! <_<

I agree 100%. That's why I feel the Bills will be a much improved team this year, compared to the 4 seasons under Jauron.

As usual your reports are superb. They are as good if not better than the reports coming from the professional writers. They certainly are more comprehensive.

It's good to see that Edwards is getting into the rhythm. You need to be saluted for your insightful observation. You were the first person to make the claim that Edwards was clearly the best by far qb on the field. While the TE critics were ready to pounce you keenly watched what was happening on the field and made an observation which came to pass. What is obvious now wasn't so obvious when you first stated your opinion about the competing qbs.

Is Bell on the field as the starting LT? How is he moving? Does he seem comfortable in his position or does he seem to still have problems grasping the offense?

Thanks again. Your reports are the best part of the board. I always look forward to what you have to say. <_<

Thanks for the compliments!

It's definitely good to see Edwards get better. I hate to admit it, I wanted Brohm and at the start of camp...i said Fitzpatrick and Edwards are sucking, I want to see more Brohm. until last Thursday. Something seemed to click then and now he's really looking like a QB finally. Now I'm leaning more towards seeing more Edwards. I want to see if he can do the same thing in a real game when 275 lb players are chasing him down.

Bell is on the field at the starting LT, but not all the time. I've seen them use Meredith in the drills where there's more contact. I don't think he's 100% yet.

Unfortunately, Dick Jauron is nowhere near the worst coach we've ever had. I know. Sad but true.

Harvey Johnson presided over two separate 1 win seasons. Collier was a great coordinator but a horrible head coach. So was Hank Bullough. So was Kay Stephenson.

These guys were all clearly worse than Jauron, but most younger fans don't remember them. Those fans are lucky.

Quick training camp story. I was last at Bills camp when it was held in Fredonia in the mid 80s. Kay Stephenson was the head coach.

The players were out stretching and Kay was walking around taking it all in. This was on the practice field right in front of the fans.

Every time Kay would walk towards another part of the field, the players behind him would exclaim "If you don't want my apples, why are you shaking my tree?" This was apparently referencing some inside joke and/or some late night shenanigans that the players had recently enjoyed. They also kept yelling the name of a prominent female news anchor. These comments were followed by mass snickering by the players. This went on for the entire stretching session, about ten minutes.

It was a brazen sign of disrespect to the coach, done right in front of the fans. I knew right then that Kay Stephenson was destined to become a failure as an NFL Head Coach.

Unfortunately, Dick Jauron is nowhere near the worst coach we've ever had. I know. Sad but true.

Harvey Johnson presided over two separate 1 win seasons. Collier was a great coordinator but a horrible head coach. So was Hank Bullough. So was Kay Stephenson.

These guys were all clearly worse than Jauron, but most younger fans don't remember them. Those fans are lucky.

Quick training camp story. I was last at Bills camp when it was held in Fredonia in the mid 80s. Kay Stephenson was the head coach.

The players were out stretching and Kay was walking around taking it all in. This was on the practice field right in front of the fans.

Every time Kay would walk towards another part of the field, the players behind him would exclaim "If you don't want my apples, why are you shaking my tree?" This was apparently referencing some inside joke and/or some late night shenanigans that the players had recently enjoyed. They also kept yelling the name of a prominent female news anchor. These comments were followed by mass snickering by the players. This went on for the entire stretching session, about ten minutes.

It was a brazen sign of disrespect to the coach, done right in front of the fans. I knew right then that Kay Stephenson was destined to become a failure as an NFL Head Coach.

I remember Stephenson & Bullough, those guys were bad. I would put Jauron right behind them in the rankings.

great job <_<

and really nice to read they finally battle the elements.

when i was coaching, the only time practice was canceled was because of lightning.

and we NEVER practiced indoors.

well, we couldnt. no facilities ^^. but even if we wouldnt had.

Thanks! Even though I still hate Jauron, I will admit one thing...they have practiced in the rain before (walk thrus)...but it wasn't pouring or anything. This was heavy rain at the start of practice.

Great report! Regarding Hardy, my brother was talking to Eric Moulds this weekend, their sons play baseball and basketball together in Amherst. Gailey asked Moulds to come to camp and talk to the receivers and said he is not impressed by Hardy. He said he would correct his mistakes and Hardy would go back out and do same thing again. He said Jackson is a good receiver and should make the team. FWIW.

Interesting...maybe it's the TO influence. I mean...after practice each day, TO worked with Hardy and maybe some of his evil rubbed off on him? i dunno.

Thanks for the compliments!

It's definitely good to see Edwards get better. I hate to admit it, I wanted Brohm and at the start of camp...i said Fitzpatrick and Edwards are sucking, I want to see more Brohm. until last Thursday. Something seemed to click then and now he's really looking like a QB finally. Now I'm leaning more towards seeing more Edwards. I want to see if he can do the same thing in a real game when 275 lb players are chasing him down.

Bell is on the field at the starting LT, but not all the time. I've seen them use Meredith in the drills where there's more contact. I don't think he's 100% yet.

Mike, thanks, as always. Are you seeing anything GLARING that would put Fitz as #2 ahead of Brohm? I really thought Brohm would emerge, at the very least, as the solid backup to Edwards. Is Fitz doing that well, or Brohm doing that poorly? Has Levi had any chances to show any talent?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

CLICK HERE FOR MORE:

Awesome report!! What I like most about your reports is there is no fluff, like you get from Chris Brown. Your reports are very detailed and gives us a great description of what going on in camp. <_<:D

I thought Easley just landed on his leg wrong, and is now getting a 2nd opinion? Have you heard anything else with Easley?

Also, in your opinion, who do you think will be the Top 5 WR's to start the season? Thanks again!

John Rauch