Training Camp Attendees

To all those who attend/have attended Bills training camp in the past: is it worth the 3 1/2 hour drive from Albany? I'm considering going for the first time (probably because it would be the last, I don't live in NY anymore and don't know when I'll be visiting during training camp again), but I can't tell whether it would be extremely boring or not. I mean, in theory, it should be cool– up close and personal with the players and coaches, watching guys fight for roster spots, getting to know the team better before the season, getting a garbage plate on the way there and the way home, etc. However, the team does suck, and it is just practice, so I could be in for a huge letdown and a wasted day.

So I ask to those out there: is training camp what you thought it would be, or have any of you come away from camp thinking it was a waste of time? Especially a 7 hour round-trip drive...

To all those who attend/have attended Bills training camp in the past: is it worth the 3 1/2 hour drive from Albany? I'm considering going for the first time (probably because it would be the last, I don't live in NY anymore and don't know when I'll be visiting during training camp again), but I can't tell whether it would be extremely boring or not. I mean, in theory, it should be cool– up close and personal with the players and coaches, watching guys fight for roster spots, getting to know the team better before the season, getting a garbage plate on the way there and the way home, etc. However, the team does suck, and it is just practice, so I could be in for a huge letdown and a wasted day.

So I ask to those out there: is training camp what you thought it would be, or have any of you come away from camp thinking it was a waste of time? Especially a 7 hour round-trip drive...

Depends on your personality, I think, as to how boriing you might find the experience. I've been attending camp for 14 straight years and find the first half of a session (players in individual drills) pretty boring. The interesting part is the 7 0n 7's, 9 on 9's, especially the 11 on 11's. It is my perception that this new staff gets more done in the x on x's drills than the previous 3 regimes. If it's a one time only opportunity, then I would recommend it, especially since Spiller's in camp now. I used to live in Albany, but I stayed at my parents house 23 miles from camp and at least doubled up on sessions by staying overnight.

I agree with AJ. My kids have gone twice this week so far for the day session and they love it (they want to go Saturday hoping to see Spiller now). The first half is pretty dull so they go jump in bounce houses and stuff they have there for kids. Then watch the X on X drills followed by getting players autographs.

If you find football practice interesting then you should find it enjoyable. Worth a 7 hour round trip drive? Personally it would not be worth it for me.

You have to know what it is to know if it's worth it to you.

While camp might be a highlight for you, it's a drudgery for the players. The team practices while you watch. They don't owe you anything, they don't put on a show, they don't move their drills so that people have a better view. Half of it is in fact stretching and individual drills/fundamentals. Some days you might get lots of special teams work - punt and kick coverages. Days before games you get less intensity. If you go with smaller kids be prepared to watch very little actual practice as it's dull for them. No announcers, no scoring, no cheerleaders, no jumbotron, no Billy Buffalo. There is a kids game area with some of the activities they have in the field house before games. There is some basic food with burgs/dogs/pizza. The team store is there.

But it is a more intimate look at the team - you can meet players at the fence and actually see their faces/talk briefly. You can see/hear the coaching that goes on. So if you have an interest in the Xs and Os it can be very cool. The players can hear and sometimes will react to your shouts from the stands.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I think I'm gonna make the trip if only just to get the experience. If it isn't any fun, so be it, at least I'll be able to say I've been.

Plus, garbage plates are guaranteed. That's reason enough.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I think I'm gonna make the trip if only just to get the experience. If it isn't any fun, so be it, at least I'll be able to say I've been.

Plus, garbage plates are guaranteed. That's reason enough.

You are wise.