Which back to compare Willis to?

LasBillz

Willis is pretty unique. He has qualities of several running backs like Dickerson, but his stright arm, ability to bounce things and blitz pickup are sort of unique.

In my opinion Emmitt Smith seems to be a fair comparison but again nt exactly.

Until he regains that breakaway speed and great cut back ability that he had at Miami, I'm gonna say Eddie George. Right now McGahee's more of a power back that can make the occasional man miss, not a finesse back that occasionally pounds people.

I dunno - the gracefulness, mixed with the power. I think when Willis drops some weight next offseason you'll see him become more of a glider, like Sayers. I don't think what we're seeing this year is his *real* running style.

That being said, if he keeps the weight and just adds a bit more glide, I think ED is a good comparison.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

I like the physical running style Willis has. He can grind out the tough yards. Something that is definitely needed behind this line. I do think though next year we will see more of the breakaway "glider" type runner you refer to.

I wouldn't say quick feet, either.  He ran out of way more tackles than he avoided.  Powerful guy and a smart football player.  Quick feet?  Maybe when compared to Jamie Nails.

145224[/snapback]

He was actually noted by Marv Levy (which is why I remembered that about him) when playing for Miami for having really quick feet. And if you go back and watch any old highlights you'll see what they were talking about. He's not quick laterally, but purposely took shorter steps and maintained better balance that way.

He was actually noted by Marv Levy (which is why I remembered that about him) when playing for Miami for having really quick feet. And if you go back and watch any old highlights you'll see what they were talking about. He's not quick laterally, but purposely took shorter steps and maintained better balance that way.

145416[/snapback]

I guess we have a different definition of it (my definition has to do with being able to change direction abruptly). I do remember him taking steps similiar to Barney Rubble driving his car, though - especially around the goal line.

I guess we have a different definition of it (my definition has to do with being able to change direction abruptly).  I do remember him taking steps similiar to Barney Rubble driving his car, though - especially around the goal line.

145424[/snapback]

Heh, good analogy :w00t:

You and I agree he definitely couldn't change direction quickly. :w00t:

but I don't think Willis would ever turn out to the sideline the way Franco regularly did.

145164[/snapback]

And for proof all you have to do is look at the play in the Rams game where he jumped over the oncoming safety in full stride, somehow kept his feet inbounds and continued down the sideline for a touchdown. The play got called back for holding, but Willis showed a killer instinct on that play. Franco Harris never made a play like that in his life. Franco would have stepped right out of bounds when that safety came.

And for proof all you have to do is look at the play in the Rams game where he jumped over the oncoming safety in full stride, somehow kept his feet inbounds and continued down the sideline for a touchdown.  The play got called back for holding, but Willis showed a killer instinct on that play.  Franco Harris never made a play like that in his life.  Franco would have stepped right out of bounds when that safety came.

145443[/snapback]

No doubt. Franco was a good player and some of his longevity came from his "to the sidelines" attitude. Still, it never really sat right with me.

Why does he have to be compared to any back? He's just Willis and hopefully he helps this team win a championship. To compare him to guys like Brown, Payton, Sayers, or even Emmit or Harris, well, you should get bitchslapped for being too giddy. Look, he's turning into a real good back, but let's save all the greastest running backs of all time comparisons for a few years down the road.