Prop 8 struck down

let the state perform legal civil unions and let religious or social institutions perform marriage why is this so freaken hard- one is the union of legal/financial entities the other the union of spiritual/emotional entities.

I don't think that would satisfy those opposed to gay marriage... wouldn't they oppose the unions regardless of how they are characterized?

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How sweet.

B-)

I can't wait until the day that it is proven beyond all doubt that being homosexual is not a choice. Then those of you who currently claim otherwise will either have to embrace them (God is love, right?) or just admit you hate them because they're "different."

Q: what's the point of having direct propositions when some over-officious judge can just decide it's not law? I mean, why not just have judges run the whole country?

Because federal statues still take precedence over state, which means direct propositions or no, state law that violates federal law is invalid.

When the prop beng voted on allows the majority to discriminate against the minority, then yes, an over-officious judge can just decide it's not a law.

That's bull ****. Not only is that not a legal principle, the majority discriminates against the minority with alarming frequency.

let the state perform legal civil unions and let religious or social institutions perform marriage why is this so freaken hard- one is the union of legal/financial entities the other the union of spiritual/emotional entities.

It makes too much sense. We're too goddamn smart for that.

I don't think that would satisfy those opposed to gay marriage... wouldn't they oppose the unions regardless of how they are characterized?

True but framed in this way it would take cover away from the hypocrites who oppose it on religious grounds- churches have the right to marry or not marry as they see fit, and the government serves as creator and arbitrator of a legal contract, separation of Church and State is a pretty good idea.

Q: what's the point of having direct propositions when some over-officious judge can just decide it's not law? I mean, why not just have judges run the whole country?

You mean because that's what happened?

I don't know why it's so hard for people to understand what "equal" under the law is. Laws that are put in place to obviously discriminate should be struck down in an expeditious manner, as this one was.

That's bull ****. Not only is that not a legal principle, the majority discriminates against the minority with alarming frequency.

With prop 8 being the perfect example. Life sucks and the majority usually will win, but the system worked in this case.

Once again the will of the people is taken away from judges.

Although, as a Californian, I can not say I'm shocked.

The will of the people of the state of California can't override a clause in the Constitution. Federal law is not an a la carte menu.

Funny thing is that this will ultimately end up with a Supreme Court decision that gay marriage can't legally be banned under the equal protection clause, thereby meaning that the people of the great, confused state of California will have legalized gay marriage via trying to ban it. Good job, Californians. B-)

This is definitely not the end of this case, though. It's going to the 9th Circuit, and then hopefully to the US Supreme Court, if they grow a pair and grant review.

The 9th Circus...my favorite source of judicial what-the-!@#$ery. Sometimes I think that court requires mushrooms to be consumed on the bench.

I can't wait until the day that it is proven beyond all doubt that being homosexual is not a choice. Then those of you who currently claim otherwise will either have to embrace them (God is love, right?) or just admit you hate them because they're "different."

It never will be proven in the eyes of ignorant twits.