Perhaps a hidden reason the Bills didn't go after a QB in the draf

jonramz

I repeat CLASSLESS.

Should I take that as a personal attack?

I'm not quite sure how calling troll "a troll" is considered a personal attack. (I call it a description.) But you are entitled to your stupid opinion. :blink:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see. The logic in the post is the Bills didn't take a QB in the top 10 due to contract considerations. In other words. "Ralph is cheap!"

If the poster was something other than a troll, he/she just might have noticed the only QB picked in the top half of the first round was Bradford at #1. The only other QB picked in the 1st round was Tebow, and that was a surprise to most and is being roundly criticized by many.

So, maybe it isn't a troll post. Maybe it's just a post from a moron.

I absolutely agree that there was no worthy pick at ten once bradford was gone and thats the reason we didn't choose one...but given the right circumstances and availability of a highly ranked QB that would be ours for the taking, I would never doubt their hesitance due to the price tag...and knowing very well that a strong QB class is approaching along with the likely new rookie pay scale I'm sure they saw it as an opportunity on several levels to hold off from any of the early rounds this year.

To be fair, Dave, I called him "a troll" first. I won't apologize for calling a troll out.

I only suggested he might be a moron when someone suggested he might not be a troll. :blink:

Regardless, he did raise the issue of a rookie salary cap, which is actually a big deal that no one seems to have discussed in depth. I know Polian and many of the league's powers are all for it, and I don't see why the players would be opposed as long as the same amount is spent on players overall every year (which can be assured via contract). The agents don't want it, of course. At any rate, if a rookie cap is instituted and the Bills are as bad as the vast majority of prognosticators expect them to be, they'll have a top 3 pick and won't be obligated to pay a$45 million signing bonus to their completely unproven rookie QB. That's a good thing for the Bills, right?

Should I take that as a personal attack?

I'm not quite sure how calling troll "a troll" is considered a personal attack. (I call it a description.) But you are entitled to your stupid opinion. :blink:

Dean, I am going to end this talk. I will let you have the last word.

We all know that drafting a QB in the top 10 costs a team a ton of money, especially upfront money. We know that are owner isn't the most free-spending owner in the world. We also know that there will be a new CBA come hell or high water, that will adjust rookie salaries.

Could it be that the Bills are waiting for the new rookie cap in order to go get their QB? Just a thought I had, knowing what we know.

BTW 5-11 this year... oh well

Ah, no.

As Nix said in today's interview about Schobel, it is not about money.

The Bills are not going to handicap the team and pass on the future franchise QB to save a few bucks at the draft.

Regardless, he did raise the issue of a rookie salary cap, which is actually a big deal that no one seems to have discussed in depth. I know Polian and many of the league's powers are all for it, and I don't see why the players would be opposed as long as the same amount is spent on players overall every year (which can be assured via contract). The agents don't want it, of course. At any rate, if a rookie cap is instituted and the Bills are as bad as the vast majority of prognosticators expect them to be, they'll have a top 3 pick and won't be obligated to pay a$45 million signing bonus to their completely unproven rookie QB. That's a good thing for the Bills, right?

Yes, he mentioned a rookie salary cap in his idiotic attempt to make the Bills sound cheap, in the OP.

Are you suggesting he really wanted this thread to be an intelligent discussion of the implications of a rookie salary cap (which is by no means a done deal or a given, BTW)? If so, it was an awfully clumsy way to go about it.

As to your questions:

1. Yes a rookie salary cap will probably help the Bills irrespective of whether they have to take a QB or a LT (or whatever) early in 2011's first round.

2. Finishing 2010 poorly enough to get a top 3 pick is NOT good for the Bills, anyway you cut it, IMO. Winning is better for a team than losing.

Yes, he mentioned a rookie salary cap in his idiotic attempt to make the Bills sound cheap, in the OP.

Are you suggesting he really wanted this thread to be an intelligent discussion of the implications of a rookie salary cap (which is by no means a done deal or a given, BTW)? If so, it was an awfully clumsy way to go about it.

As to your questions:

1. Yes a rookie salary cap will probably help the Bills irrespective of whether they have to take a QB or a LT (or whatever) early in 2011's first round.

2. Finishing 2010 poorly enough to get a top 3 pick is NOT good for the Bills, anyway you cut it, IMO. Winning is better for a team than losing.

Regardless..They are not unrealistic and expecting some miracle turn around, I don't see them being in the top three, but I'm sure they can forecast a strong likelyhood that they will have an opportunity at one of several more promising young QB's in next years draft whether it be in the top five or 15 and they also see a possibility (and somewhat a probability) that they will get this better prospect at a lesser price then taken at the same position this year...thus justifying the avoided reach within one of the first 3 rounds this year.

As to your questions:

How is winning 5 games instead of 3 games better for a team? Now obviously, if you're talking 10 wins vs 3, it's a totally different situation. You'll never convince me that if we're headed for a 4-5 win season & a win or 2 less gives us a shot at a franchise QB, which it appears this year's draft will, that it's better to win 2 more totally meaningless games when you can turn your entire franchise around if you lose those 2 games. Now I'm talking strictly from a fan's point of view, of course I expect the team to try to win every game. But if we're headed into that last game against the Jets with a loss guaranteeing us the #1 pick, I'm rooting for the team to lose to the Jets in the last game this year, get the franchise QB & kick some Jet @ss when it means something many times over for the next decade.

PS: I totally agree with your blasting the OP for implying Ralph is cheap. If we get the chance the Bills will pay a franchise QB megabucks.

How is winning 5 games instead of 3 games better for a team? Now obviously, if you're talking 10 wins vs 3, it's a totally different situation. You'll never convince me that if we're headed for a 4-5 win season & a win or 2 less gives us a shot at a franchise QB, which it appears this year's draft will, that it's better to win 2 more totally meaningless games when you can turn your entire franchise around if you lose those 2 games. Now I'm talking strictly from a fan's point of view, of course I expect the team to try to win every game. But if we're headed into that last game against the Jets with a loss guaranteeing us the #1 pick, I'm rooting for the team to lose to the Jets in the last game this year, get the franchise QB & kick some Jet @ss when it means something many times over for the next decade.

PS: I totally agree with your blasting the OP for implying Ralph is cheap. If we get the chance the Bills will pay a franchise QB megabucks.

This team has done an amazing job of finishing with mediocre records most of this decade not good enough for playoffs but never bad enough to get a significant enough pick to impact the future of the team. We all know what happens when you win two games and draft players like bruce and gradually turn a team around with game changers, they just are so in the middle that its ruining the prospect of aquiring that real influencial playmaker

I want to see wins, but if we have to look at another 5 years of 6 and seven wins I'll accept a 3 win season if it gives us a chance at franchise player status

Regardless..They are not unrealistic and expecting some miracle turn around, I don't see them being in the top three, but I'm sure they can forecast a strong likelyhood that they will have an opportunity at one of several more promising young QB's in next years draft whether it be in the top five or 15 and they also see a possibility (and somewhat a probability) that they will get this better prospect at a lesser price then taken at the same position this year...thus justifying the avoided reach within one of the first 3 rounds this year.

Just curious, what sort of impact do you see a rookie salary cap making to the contracts of 2nd and 3rd round players? Troup signed a 4 year contract worth a TOTAL of $4.5 million, (with about $2.6 million guaranteed).

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...tuRROAD9H8AQF80

Of course, QBs tend to get a little bit more, so let's look at Clausen's deal: $6.3 million (with just over $2.5 guaranteed):

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/th...jimmy-clausen/1

I won't even bother to bring in the relatively tiny contracts given to 3rd rounders.

The OP might have had a point IF there was a viable QB at #9. Had the Bills passed on a QB that was a high 1st round rated QB, I can see where the looming salary cap might have played a role. Even if it wouldn't have, I would understand the question. But now you are asking if it might have impacted the 2nd and 3rd round selections? Is there a full moon tonight?

Just curious, what sort of impact do you see a rookie salary cap making to the contracts of 2nd and 3rd round players? Troup signed a 4 year contract worth a TOTAL of $4.5 million, (with about $2.6 million guaranteed).

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...tuRROAD9H8AQF80

Of course, QBs tend to get a little bit more, so let's look at Clausen's deal: $6.3 million (with just over $2.5 guaranteed):

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/th...jimmy-clausen/1

I won't even bother to bring in the relatively tiny contracts given to 3rd rounders.

The OP might have had a point IF there was a viable QB at #9. Had the Bills passed on a QB that was a high 1st round rated QB, I can see where the looming salary cap might have played a role. Even if it wouldn't have, I would understand the question. But now you are asking if it might have impacted the 2nd and 3rd round selections? Is there a full moon tonight?

First of all...I said not reaching in one of the first 3 rounders This Year, is there a rookie cap this year Dean? ..Your focused on the wrong post of that post. The point is the potential rookie cap could have played an actual role. My point is in regards to not reaching on the few QB's taken in rounds 1, 2 or 3 This Year. I brought those rounds up just because the only QB's we could have taken ended up being taken in those rounds and it would be meaningless to reach for them if we see an opportunity to get a worthy prospect with our 1st Rounder next year for obvious talent reasons and because we could get him for less money under a cap

First of all...I said not reaching in one of the first 3 rounders This Year, is there a rookie cap this year Dean? ..Your focused on the wrong post of that post. The point is the potential rookie cap could have played an actual role. My point is in regards to not reaching on the few QB's taken in rounds 1, 2 or 3 This Year. I brought those rounds up just because the only QB's we could have taken ended up being taken in those rounds and it would be meaningless to reach for them if we see an opportunity to get a worthy prospect with our 1st Rounder next year for obvious talent reasons and because we could get him for less money under a cap

My point is, what do you save by not drafting a QB you like in 2010 in the 2nd or 3rd round? Their deals aren't big at all. Even if you think there is a guy you might get early in 2011 for a good price in Rd #1, passing on a guy you like in 2010 in the 2nd or 3rd would be silly. The guy you like may be injured, get picked by someone else, etc. Hell, there may be no football next year (thought I doubt that). I can't see how the possible rookie cap impacts a team's 2nd or 3rd round picks in 2010.

Of course, reaching for someone you think is a reach is stupid to do anytime, in any round, but particularly stupid to do in Rd #2 or #3 in any year. So, no, I'm not buying the bizarre round-a-bout possible impact you have laid out.

My point is, what do you save by not drafting a QB you like in 2010 in the 2nd or 3rd round? Their deals aren't big at all. Even if you think there is a guy you might get early in 2011 for a good price in Rd #1, passing on a guy you like in 2010 in the 2nd or 3rd would be silly. The guy you like may be injured, get picked by someone else, etc. Hell, there may be no football next year (thought I doubt that). I can't see how the possible rookie cap impacts a team's 2nd or 3rd round picks in 2010.

Of course, reaching for someone you think is a reach is stupid to do anytime, in any round, but particularly stupid to do in Rd #2 or #3 in any year. So, no, I'm not buying the bizarre round-a-bout possible impact you have laid out.

Well the reason would be the coaching staff seems to want to reevaluate the guys we got and since we had other needs in the first few rounds there would be no reason to waste a pick this year on something we can address next year, apparently they just thought this year could be better used to build other areas of the team. Fact of the matter is, there was noone worth the pick this year like you said before...the moeny is only a possible bonus that could be in the back of their minds...glad to hear you doubt the no football year though, I'm getting sick of hearing it thrown around so often that everytime next year is mentioned people have to say "if there is football in 2011"...the players don't have long enough careers to stand so firm that they will throw away a year of youth and salary

Dean, I am going to end this talk. I will let you have the last word.

Good for you, MPL. Dean, I 'd like to see you call someone a troll and a moron to their face. Easy to be a BA when hiding behind your computer screen, huh? I used to think you were intelligent and entertainingly snarky. Now you're just acting like an a$$. No excuse for your irrational, hair trigger anger. Just can't spin it.

We all know that drafting a QB in the top 10 costs a team a ton of money, especially upfront money. We know that are owner isn't the most free-spending owner in the world. We also know that there will be a new CBA come hell or high water, that will adjust rookie salaries.

Could it be that the Bills are waiting for the new rookie cap in order to go get their QB? Just a thought I had, knowing what we know.

BTW 5-11 this year... oh well

Yeah, I agree that's a possibility! I thought about it some...I also think the Bills organization typically hates to admit that they may have struck out on a previous draft choice and are committed to give Trent Edwards every opportunity (beyond what I would've) to succeed or fail. The Bills generally never choose the players that I hope they would. I study the draft long before the draft occurs in April. I actually set-up my War room (yes..it's insane, but I do) decorate it with Bills paraphelnelia (sp?)...have multiple t.v's playing, and the computer as well...all kinds of charts and graphs..etc...I really thought the draft would go different. I thought the Bills stood a good chance of drafting one or two of the Georgia Tech players considering the coaching staff's past history! I really thought the opportunity was their to trade up or down or stay pat and still get a high ranked QB or OLT.

I do not understand this organizations logic or lack of in my humble opinion. For sure...I would not have drafted Aaron Maybin when Brian Orakapo DE was still on the board!! That was idiotic there!! I think Pozluzny must have influenced the decision makers at one bills drive or something. It still doesn't sit well with me. I don't understand the logic of drafting a

QB in the 7th round if you don't have intentions of letting him compete for a starting positon. If he is that far behind in either his skills or knowledge of the NFL Game they should've either drafted a QB sooner or waited another year instead of probably wasting the pick.

This year choosing a RB was purely ridiculous! I knew it when they made the selection, and unfortunately it appears there is a problem getting Spiller to sign with the Bills. This is not a good sign for future negotiations when they want to resign this player. It's bad enough we have problems with M. Lynch besides selecting a player in a position of depth who is already

voicing strong financial demands before ever gaining a yard for us.

I appreciate all the optimists out their, but I'll stick to being a realist when I predict the same 5-11 for 2010 that I have been predicting since April. There is no evidence so far to suggest to me that I need to change this prediction. I would've

had a more understanding approach to my assesment if the Bills would've traded M. Lynch after drafting Spiller, but no they even missed the boat on that very basic and logical concept.

We don't have a true franchise QB, #2 Wide Receiver, nor a suitable OLT. The whole leaugue realizes it except my fellow Bills fans who often wear blinders. I appreciate the loyalty, but sometimes it borders crossing the line of being foolish!

:blink: 2010 Regular Season record 5-11 !!!

Good for you, MPL. Dean, I 'd like to see you call someone a troll and a moron to their face. Easy to be a BA when hiding behind your computer screen, huh? I used to think you were intelligent and entertainingly snarky. Now you're just acting like an a$$. No excuse for your irrational, hair trigger anger. Just can't spin it.

So MPL has another account?

I call people morons to their face all the time (I also call myself a moron fairly often), just ask The Senator. I don't have much of an occasion to call real life people "Troll", as few people troll in real life.

And, as far as anger goes, you seem far angrier than I. I'm actually in a pretty good mood.

Well if your team finishes 7-9 as oppose to 3-13 that should mean that the team that went 7-9 has more talent and is certainly more likely to make the playoffs in the future than the 3-13 team. Yes, if we did terrible we would get the cream of the crop picks, but EVERY year we look back and say why didn't we draft Oher, Orakpo, Ngata, Manigold (insert a player who became successful after the Bills picked) and there certainly are a lot to choose from as well. Maybe our management just is worse at keeping the talent that we have accumulated (Nate Clements, Pat Williams, Jabari Greer, London Fletcher) but one would think that a rookie would be much easier to develop on a team where he can be eased in fairly gradually as oppose to a team where his teams success is dependent on how he performs this year.

Yes, players like LT, Reggie Bush, and Mario Williams go early, but so do Alex Smith, Jamarcus Russell, and so on, the teams that improved were ones that made a significant effort to allow those players to really have a legitimate shot of maximizing their potential (Chargers in 2004, Saints in 2007 or whenever they got Brees, and the Texans as we speak) so it matters less about where we draft players and more about the strategic management and coaching that allows these players to develop in a system where they can learn and rely on other already talented individuals so that they too can become talented and help the next generation of athletes.

I also call myself a moron fairly often

Heh, at least you're able to be self-deprecating. There's hope for you yet!

No, I'm not MPL. Just someone who values community and civility a bit more than some. I think it makes us all look like losers when we snap at each other without great provocation. People say the most outrageous stuff online. I prefer to imagine we're all sitting in a bar in Buffalo, having a beer, eating some wings, talking about the Bills. Would you really spout off like you did in that situation?