Interesting Quote from Chan...

..."I think it's going to be a great competition," coach Chan Gailey said Sunday of Florence versus McKelvin. "The good thing is, we're not picking from two bad players. We're picking from two pretty good players. That's a big difference. You're not taking the best of what's available, you're getting to choose from two guys that can play."...

Link:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article88073.ece

In my humble opinion, that is a very "telling" honest statement by a head coach that I am becoming more and more impressed with every day. Gailey seems "relieved" to talk about this particular battle in his first training camp with the Bills, because it is just about the only position battle that has two "guys that can play", and that every fan would agree with.

Even the battle between two veterans, Mitchell and Davis for the ILB spot next to Poz, is not universally considered an equal match-up where both guys "can play." On this board, quite a few Bills fans think that Mitchell will get cut, much less battle Davis for the starting nod.

Chan Gailey may just be our next Marv Levy. Nobody in Buffalo thought much of Polian bringing in Marv half way through the '86 season. And nobody thought much of Chan coming in this year. But like Marv, Gailey oozes confidence, is extremely well organized, knows exactly what he wants from every assistant coach and player, and really seems to love being at that podium answering questions every day. :devil:

Chan Gailey may just be our next Marv Levy. Nobody in Buffalo thought much of Polian bringing in Marv half way through the '86 season. And nobody thought much of Chan coming in this year. But like Marv, Gailey oozes confidence, is extremely well organized, knows exactly what he wants from every assistant coach and player, and really seems to love being at that podium answering questions every day. :devil:

Time will tell. I'm liking what I see with Gailey so far, but after the last 10 years, I'm taking a cautiously-optimistic approach. I do like his attitude towards the game. It seems like he's preaching a solid work ethic will be the only way to win, but in a quiet way. No air horns and silly no drill sergeant tactics - just plain discipline and coaching.

I, too, am growing more comfortable with Gailey as the HC (hate the accent, though). To paraphrase the Front Office, however,"Show me the baby". I'll start really believing in Gailey when he can not only go toe-to-toe with Beli-satan, but actually outcoach him. You want a measuring stick? Show me a coach that can actually devise an offensive scheme to put a TD on the board with short time on the clock after the Pats* have been playing 10 minutes of ball-control offense in the 4th quarter while protecting a field goal lead. Sounds simple? Well, the Bills haven't had a coach that can do that in 10 years. That, in my mind, is "Showing me the Baby".

Wasn't Gaither reported as getting hurt, damaged goods....!!!

That is of little significance when you are going to bang the LT drum...

There are options, and if they were as bad as many posters have read in a forum, and subsequently turned into gospel, then Nix would have addressed it by now. That is also assuming that LT is as important as so many message-board-GMs tend to make it. There are plenty of LTs in the league, on good teams, that came from places other that a big trade or a #1 pick.

I like Gailey's mentality and coaching style so far.

Unfortunately, even if he does get better performance out of the team... our schedule is much tougher this year, and we'll end up with a similar/worse record and I'm sure he'll get whined about.

Hopefully us fans have a little patience.

I like Gailey's mentality and coaching style so far.

Unfortunately, even if he does get better performance out of the team... our schedule is much tougher this year, and we'll end up with a similar/worse record and I'm sure he'll get whined about.

Hopefully us fans have a little patience.

Our schedule is much tougher this year because the teams we are playing have improved themselves through free agency, trades, and the draft. There is NO reason we shouldn't win more than last year since many of the injured players have returned, the coaching situation is relatively stable (at least compared the clusterfk of last year) and Gailey supposed to be a pretty good game day coach. Dam right I'll whine if we get fewer wins this year than last. Anyone should.

Should I be impressed a retread FA singing has worked out well for us, or should I be disappointed that the 11th overall pick cant solidify a starting position on a bad team in his 3rd year?

Bitter sweet I guess.

I, too, am growing more comfortable with Gailey as the HC (hate the accent, though).

That's how you tell a football guy. Love the accents on Buddy and Chan. Reminds me of old school ball....line up and kick the crap out of the guy in front of you and good things happen. At the very least our guys won't be "small and fast" and get B'slapped all over the field in the 4th quarter anymore.

Chan Gailey may just be our next Marv Levy. Nobody in Buffalo thought much of Polian bringing in Marv half way through the '86 season. And nobody thought much of Chan coming in this year. But like Marv, Gailey oozes confidence, is extremely well organized, knows exactly what he wants from every assistant coach and player, and really seems to love being at that podium answering questions every day. :)

Whoa, hold on there. As decent a coach as Marv was, he had Bill Polian stocking the roster albeit with input from others and Levy. The GM and HC must work together, and Nix isn't in this for the long haul anyway.

Let's wait until the regular season before anointing him as the guy to turn this around.