Sunday Practice, O-line, D-line drills

Here is my solution for the Maybin conundrum:

At the snap have the LILB toss Maybin over the OLine right at the QB. He's light enough.

Maybe?

Be sure not to do that on field goal defense, because that would be the penalty called Leaping.

I'll say it again -- Marshawn needs to be our #1...

1. He's 24

2. He's our strongest and hardest to tackle RB

3. He will improve his receiving game

4. Freddie is old - love him, but why waste the time if we are "rebuilding"

5. CJ is great but should be more like Reggie Bush was when he got started

6. He's way funny

7. He'll go to another team and it will be B word-fest 2010 on this site when he is crushing it

8. Our OL and QB cannot be worse than last year, which will lead to more opportunity for him to not have a loaded box against him

9. I don't want to have my only active Bill's jersey be the #3 back, or a non-Bill like Moulds, Flutie, McGahee (ouch), Henry (ouch!) that are in my closet - I also have a Talley jersey and maybe I'll have to wear that...

10. He's secretly having the best training camp so far

11. The team loves him and he's great in the locker room

12. Most important - with him on the field, we're more likely to win. sorry I have no stats to support that, but I believe it.

I think Maybin had one of the fastest if not the fastest, 10-yard splits at the combine.

There's no question that he has an explosive first step and in addition, you could see that he's jumping the snap count.

It was the height of folly to draft him and attempt to make him a 4-3 DE last year (really WTF were they thinking?).

His best chance to succeed as a pro will be as a 3-4 LB, that much we can all agree on.

Still we may never see a power aspect to Maybin's game, and it would be nice to see him develop a counter move.

On the other hand, the late Derrick Thomas never had a second move. He was exclusively an outside speed rusher. Thomas didn't need a counter move because he turned the corner so quickly. Perhaps Maybin will become a one-dimensional but very effective defensive weapon like Thomas.

I think we need to get Maybin out of that 4-pt stance. I'd much rather see him standing up rushing off the edge.

I was there too. For him in the one on one drills it was every three plays he'd get to the QB, any other time he was pushed way out of the pocket or pancaked.

Yes, he had a very good day. Multiple sacks, and even more QB pressures, is a very good day for any DE.

I like the camp reports as well. Thanks guys (and girls?). While we are kind of reading tea leaves out there, there are valuable insights to be gained regarding rookies and free agents and especially with our change to the 3-4 to get a sense of who the major players are. I'm pulling for Maybin to be successful.

I really hope both Maybin and Lynch play up to their potentials this year.

Maybin doesn't belong as a DE, so I'm glad to see him moved to OLB.

Lynch... well, I love "Beast Mode" style running, and hope he returns to form of a couple years ago. :devil:

I was there too. For him in the one on one drills it was every three plays he'd get to the QB, any other time he was pushed way out of the pocket or pancaked.

I'd take getting to the QB every third play. I've never seen a 3-4 linebacker bowl over a OT anyway. If he's a third down guy at first, and effective, so be it. We need pressure and he may be the answer.

I really hope both Maybin and Lynch play up to their potentials this year.

Maybin doesn't belong as a DE, so I'm glad to see him moved to OLB.

Lynch... well, I love "Beast Mode" style running, and hope he returns to form of a couple years ago. :devil:

maybin still lines up as DE on 4-2-5 nickel packages FWIW. along with scott as a LB.