CG's press conference

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/t...all-videos.html

He thinks that if the players practice in pads it reduces the number of injuries and players are more likely to reach out for more balls. When asked the other day about wearing pads his answer was "this is training camp". He wouldn't have been my first choice for coach but I am certainly happy that we have a football man at the helm.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/t...all-videos.html

He thinks that if the players practice in pads it reduces the number of injuries and players are more likely to reach out for more balls. When asked the other day about wearing pads his answer was "this is training camp". He wouldn't have been my first choice for coach but I am certainly happy that we have a football man at the helm.

What does that mean? I'm no fan of Jauron, but he was certainly a "football man". He played in the NFL, was a good DC and was a head coach for three teams.

He was a crappy HC, but how was he not a "football man"? Or, if you didn't mean Dick, what exactly are you talking about? Are there any Head Coaches in the NFL that aren't "football men"?

What does that mean? I'm no fan of Jauron, but he was certainly a "football man". He played in the NFL, was a good DC and was a head coach for three teams.

He was a crappy HC, but how was he not a "football man"? Or, if you didn't mean Dick, what exactly are you talking about? Are there any Head Coaches in the NFL that aren't "football men"?

I believe the topic starter means that Chan is 349083x smarter than Dick in the aspect of he's not lenient when it comes to football, understands the game - especially the offense... being our new offensive coordinator.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what he was talking about, particularly when he referenced "pads". Jauron was infamous for holding easy practices, having TVs in the workout rooms, etc. Gailey is having his players practice in pads and encouraging physical contact. That's what the OP was talking about when he mentioned "football man".

Rather than focus on a lingusitic technicality why don't you explain to us why you agree or disagree with the OP's point of view?

I believe the topic starter means that Chan is 349083x smarter than Dick in the aspect of he's not lenient when it comes to football, understands the game - especially the offense... being our new offensive coordinator.

Maybe that is what he meant, but I don't understand what that has to do with being a "football man".

I think Chan will be a far better offensive coach than anyone we've had in a while, and hopefully a far better HC too. But there are lenient great coaches and crappy coaches and hard-asses that are good and bad, as well. Remember Greggo and the bullhorn. He must have been a GREAT coach...right?

chan feels better than dick not that theres anything wrong with that but we wont know if any of it means being able to win games until middle of next season

if chan can get this band of misfits to five hunnerd i will be impressed, but since thats unlikely anything less gets him another season easy anyway. well maybe not a winless season lmao but that aint happening, even two wins he still stays comfortably

chan feels better than dick not that theres anything wrong with that but we wont know if any of it means being able to win games until middle of next season

if chan can get this band of misfits to five hunnerd i will be impressed, but since thats unlikely anything less gets him another season easy anyway. well maybe not a winless season lmao but that aint happening, even two wins he still stays comfortably

:worthy:

Maybe that is what he meant, but I don't understand what that has to do with being a "football man".

I think Chan will be a far better offensive coach than anyone we've had in a while, and hopefully a far better HC too. But there are lenient great coaches and crappy coaches and hard-asses that are good and bad, as well. Remember Greggo and the bullhorn. He must have been a GREAT coach...right?

For crappy, had nosed idiots, does Hank Bullough ring a bell with anyone?

Jauron may have gone to Yale but Gailey has a lot more common sense and wisdom, IMO. We forget that the players are barely men and mostly still just kids. Kids need discipline and direction to maximize themselves. It seems like Jauron treated them like men all the time. Gailey treats them like men when he can, (i.e. I haven't heard of morning air horns) but provides more discipline, encouragement and much higher expectations for them to maximize their talents and seems to loathe excuses.

Under Jauron the players were happy and thought they were doing what it took to win because their coach believed they were doing what it took to win. Now the coach is telling them that they need to do a lot more in order to win and despite having to work a lot harder they seem to like it more. When this starts paying dividends in the number of wins I expect these kids to become even more motivated and confident. (In my best Martha Stewart) That's a good thing.

One of the biggest fallouts of the Dick Jauron regime was his inability to make in-game decisions. Many of his in-game decisions backfired on and led to losses. Also, putting Parrish in the dog house did not really do anything good for the team.

It remains to be seen as how Gailey will handle game-day decisions.

For crappy, had nosed idiots, does Hank Bullough ring a bell with anyone?

True, Hank was hard-nosed and seemed like a" football guy." But you could see the intelligence was not there. His news conferences and his speeches to the players were terrible…and I'm not only talking about his most infamous quote.

I think a better and more recent example would be Rod Marinelli, who if you didn't know his won-lost record, would think was a pretty successful head coach.

But yes, Chan Gailey seems to say a lot of wise things and he definitely looks and feels the part.