Schobel will make his decision in 10 days...

I think the true lies somewhere between him seeing many others do similar things to get out of all the mini camps, OTA, part of regular trainging camp, etc, (see Brett) and if the Bills' feel he isn't ready, then he gets cut as described below. I ofte nliste nto Mike & Mike and Golic always talks about how he hated al lthe off seaso nstuff, that was why he retired, if it was just Sundays, he'd still be playing if he could.

Personally it really doesn't bother me all that much, as a veteren with his experience, he'll likely pick up things quickly. It's the trend of the future, proves how worthless training camp somewhat is. Certain positions like QB and WR need alot of reps to get timing down. A defensive end, all he needs to figure out is the quickest route to the QB. Is that over stating things, yeah, but I think its' closer to the truth than many people here want to make it out to be.

Does it smell, yeah, but I don't consider it much of a bad smell, just a smell.

Could this be a money/contract ploy? As long as he reports does he have to be paid? And if the Bills don't want to pay him, because he is basically showing up unprepared, would we be forced to release him and then he could sign with whoever he wants?

I'm sorry but this smells.

PTR

Has anyone considered that Schobel wanted to play all along and Gailey and Nix know? The guy is a seasoned vet, clearly knows the game and stays in great physical shape. Often times good vets "fake" injuries or are "held out" of camp as they don't want to risk getting hurt and the coaches seem "fine" with it, as they are held with a different standard. Could Schobel just be putting up the "facade" of retirement as it is a better story than skipping mini-camp and the start of training camp. Effectively, Edwards could be feeding him the playbook so Schobel is mentally prepped when he returns.

Think about it. Schobel skips OTA's, mandatory mini-camp and the start of training camp and he is looked at as a prima donna, above the team, hurting his image and possibly team morale. On the contrary, he pretends to be retiring and "decides at the last minute" he wants to still play because the team "looks promising". It keeps his image from being tarnished and will probably help team morale because they are getting "an unselfish player who is looking to help the team" as well as a quality starter.

Conspiracy theorists, start conspiring.

Has anyone considered that Schobel wanted to play all along and Gailey and Nix know? The guy is a seasoned vet, clearly knows the game and stays in great physical shape. Often times good vets "fake" injuries or are "held out" of camp as they don't want to risk getting hurt and the coaches seem "fine" with it, as they are held with a different standard. Could Schobel just be putting up the "facade" of retirement as it is a better story than skipping mini-camp and the start of training camp. Effectively, Edwards could be feeding him the playbook so Schobel is mentally prepped when he returns.

Think about it. Schobel skips OTA's, mandatory mini-camp and the start of training camp and he is looked at as a prima donna, above the team, hurting his image and possibly team morale. On the contrary, he pretends to be retiring and "decides at the last minute" he wants to still play because the team "looks promising". It keeps his image from being tarnished and will probably help team morale because they are getting "an unselfish player who is looking to help the team" as well as a quality starter.

Conspiracy theorists, start conspiring.

I can see letting him skip OTA's but missing camp, especially with a new defense being installed, is not good football. This "I'll make my mind up in ten days and show up sometime" stuff is BS.

PTR

Sad as it may be, I'd take him starting over Kelsay even if he misses TC.

So would CG and AS knows it.

He's going to play, but not do the heavy lifting of OTAs and two a days in training camp.

Correct. He's near the end so he's going to coast through his last training camp or two.

jeeez.. do i hafta to clue u guyz in on like, EVVVrythang?

he's coming back. he is. he knows. he always did. he's lying, cuz that's what he's supposed to do. but he'lll play. Chan knows it, and even let this slip out:

"when he shows up, he'll have a lotta catchin' up to do". get it? WHEN he shows up, as in "we knew it all along, but had to play along with it for PR BS". SURE favre does the same thing. but he knows too, he always did, and so does his coach and owner. both players wanna frack off, vacation with their families, and not be hated by all fans, and resented by teammates etc.

they square it with the front office and coaches, who cut them some slack, cuz they've paid their dues, and know how to get up to speed fast when they arrive. it's all approved in advance, and they would tell us that, if they knew the media wouldn't make big horseshot out of it(a certainty).

he'll show up in time to get in the game, and we can all pretend to be SO surPRIZEd.

quick, practice your loox of feigned surprise now !!

:blink::censored::censored:<_<:w00t: ~ woooooh !

mmm.. GOOD job, team !

~AS

Could this be a money/contract ploy? As long as he reports does he have to be paid? And if the Bills don't want to pay him, because he is basically showing up unprepared, would we be forced to release him and then he could sign with whoever he wants?

I'm sorry but this smells.

PTR

It smells bad, real bad.

I think he is looking to maximize his income and/or force the Bills to cut him so that he can sign with Houston.

I do not believe he is doing what is best for the team. The Bills have never won anything with him so I doubt he will be a great loss.

Move on Schobel.

Why would the Bills invest in a player who only wants to play one more year maximum and a player who has to learn a new system after skipping all the OTA's and mini-camps and conceivably all or most of training camp? It smells like a player trying to cash 100% of his salary and yet give only a 50% effort.

I think the Bills are calling his bluff by not cutting him. Maybe they can weasel a draft pick out of a Texas based team?