Brohm interview from BuffNews - good backstory

bfw1234

Very nice article. I still am curious to see what Trent can do under Gailey, but I wouldn't be crushed if Brohm got the nod. Part of me tells me that Brohm should win this job. Alot to be seen by him. I hope we can get a feel in preseason to whom should be our QB. It's also possible that Trent is a victim of the Jauron disease. It may be too late to get the Jauronism out of him.

I really want to see this guy get his shot. We know Edwards sucks, Fitz is nothing more than a servicable #2, it is Brohms turn.

I really think he was stupid and let his ego get bruised in Green Bay and it hurt him. I think he has learned from that. He did better in HS or College than either of the other two, was more highly regarded coming out of College and drafted higher for a reason.

Its time the kid gets a shot, because if he isn't the guy for us, its time to draft a guy next year.

I really want to see this guy get his shot. We know Edwards sucks, Fitz is nothing more than a servicable #2, it is Brohms turn.

I really think he was stupid and let his ego get bruised in Green Bay and it hurt him. I think he has learned from that. He did better in HS or College than either of the other two, was more highly regarded coming out of College and drafted higher for a reason.

Its time the kid gets a shot, because if he isn't the guy for us, its time to draft a guy next year.

AFAIK, he quite likes shots. :cry:

That's pretty much what he has said in several interviews. He was accustomed to being the starter and just expected things to come easy in the NFL, as it did in College and HS. When that didn't happen and he was competing for a backup spot; it seems his confidence was shot and/or depression set in.

By all accounts, Brohm is saying he's over that now and looking forward to getting his shot in Buffalo. If so, he could become a true steal.

My question is, if you're Chan and sense that about him, do you keep making him work through training camp and preseason to prove he belongs or do you make him number 1 in the pecking order starting this weekend? The first path could make him work hard, but it could also backfire and destroy his confidence even further. The second decision could inject him with confidence and self assurance, but could also make him feel he doesn't have to work as hard this season.

For me the answer is easy. We've seen Trent; we've seen Fitzy. They're backups at best. Brohm, by all accounts, was starter material coming out of college. Let's see what he can do - it'd really hard to believe he could be worse than what we had last year and the injection of confidence could be just what's needed to turn the guy into a true leader.

That's pretty much what he has said in several interviews. He was accustomed to being the starter and just expected things to come easy in the NFL, as it did in College and HS. When that didn't happen and he was competing for a backup spot; it seems his confidence was shot and/or depression set in.

By all accounts, Brohm is saying he's over that now and looking forward to getting his shot in Buffalo. If so, he could become a true steal.

My question is, if you're Chan and sense that about him, do you keep making him work through training camp and preseason to prove he belongs or do you make him number 1 in the pecking order starting this weekend? The first path could make him work hard, but it could also backfire and destroy his confidence even further. The second decision could inject him with confidence and self assurance, but could also make him feel he doesn't have to work as hard this season.

For me the answer is easy. We've seen Trent; we've seen Fitzy. They're backups at best. Brohm, by all accounts, was starter material coming out of college. Let's see what he can do - it'd really hard to believe he could be worse than what we had last year and the injection of confidence could be just what's needed to turn the guy into a true leader.

You give all 3 at least a couple practices as the #1 guy and see who does best. Then make the decision on who the starter is.

You give all 3 at least a couple practices as the #1 guy and see who does best. Then make the decision on who the starter is.

That might be the prudent decision. But, I've seen several years of actual game footage on Trent and Fitz. A few practices aren't going to convince me of anything. I'd make Brohm the starter from day one. If he screws the pooch; then you can always plug Trent or Fitzy in and say, it was open competition from day one. But, I'd want to give Brohm all the opportunity possible to succeed; and that, for me, would be naming him #1 in the pecking order.

The bottom line, if Trent really is our best starter; we're screwed. The fact that he's got 30 starts under his belt and is still in the middle of a 3-headed race to win the job, says all you need to know.

That might be the prudent decision. But, I've seen several years of actual game footage on Trent and Fitz. A few practices aren't going to convince me of anything. I'd make Brohm the starter from day one. If he screws the pooch; then you can always plug Trent or Fitzy in and say, it was open competition from day one. But, I'd want to give Brohm all the opportunity possible to succeed; and that, for me, would be naming him #1 in the pecking order.

The bottom line, if Trent really is our best starter; we're screwed. The fact that he's got 30 starts under his belt and is still in the middle of a 3-headed race to win the job, says all you need to know.

I hear you on Trent and Fitz. But an open QB competition demands they get equal chances.

I hear you on Trent and Fitz. But an open QB competition demands they get equal chances.

I agree. But, Chan has said he'll have a "pecking order" once camp starts. By that, I take it to mean someone will be getting more first team snaps. The OTAs were definitely equal; but will the camp practices be just as equal? It'll certainly be interesting (1) to see who get the initial nod and (2) does he get initial reps than the other two?

But, maybe all 3 start out equal; then it becomes more and more slanted? Interestingly, in a recent Buffalo News article, Chan was reported to have said the "both preseason games and camp practices will weigh heavily into the QB decision." Does that mean he intends to make his "final" decision after the second preseason game?

There are going to be several interesting camp battles, but none more important than the QB battle.

QB competitions are all well and good in the offseason. When it comes to camp/ preseason, pick one and go with him. The guy you want to start needs all the reps he can get before the start of the season...unless he is Brett Favre.

Thje bottom line is the only QB who can get us into the playoffs is a rejuvinated Trent Edwards. Now I'm extremely sceptical that Trent will ever shake the injury bug & that no matter how good he looks at times he's a hit away from being out for a while, but anyone who has bought into the Brian Brohm charade is only fooling himself. Not only wouldn't I name Brohm #1, I'd cut him now, because sooner or later, he's headed back to the waiver wire. I know Gailey can't do it now & he'll be given a chance, but I believe he has a better chance of not making the team than starting. If he does start, it means Gailey thinks the other guys are just bad, not that Brohm is any good. Dream all you want, but Brian Brohm will never win you games in the NFL. If he's the starter this year, pencil in Jake Locker or Christian Ponder as our top pick & starter in 2011.

Thje bottom line is the only QB who can get us into the playoffs is a rejuvinated Trent Edwards. Now I'm extremely sceptical that Trent will ever shake the injury bug & that no matter how good he looks at times he's a hit away from being out for a while, but anyone who has bought into the Brian Brohm charade is only fooling himself. Not only wouldn't I name Brohm #1, I'd cut him now, because sooner or later, he's headed back to the waiver wire. I know Gailey can't do it now & he'll be given a chance, but I believe he has a better chance of not making the team than starting. If he does start, it means Gailey thinks the other guys are just bad, not that Brohm is any good. Dream all you want, but Brian Brohm will never win you games in the NFL. If he's the starter this year, pencil in Jake Locker or Christian Ponder as our top pick & starter in 2011.

And this is based on...? And what games did Trent personally win for the Bills?

As Doc asked, on what are you basing your opinion of Brohm? He's played next to no regular season games. So how can you make such definitive statements?

rejuvinated? He had to be good in the first place to become rejuvinated. The guy sucks and always has.