OT - Cards for troops

kegtapr

My fiancee and I have organized having holiday cards made by kids to be sent to the troops in Iraq. We have well over a hundred that we will be mailing this weekend. They will be mailed to a friend I have there who will in turn pass out the cards among her division.

The question is, should we include a return address in each card in case the troops want to write back? I don't want to make it look like the kids are expecting something in return and I don't want anyone to feel like they need to write back. The kids would obviously love to receive mail though and I'm sure some troops would like a chance to write them.

Should I leave it at just the cards or include a return mailing address for them? Military or ex-military opinions especially welcome. Thanks!

I say do it. I doubt you'll get a high response rate (they have a lot on their minds over there), but I bet you get at least a few and that would be wonderful for the kids. Also, I think kids tend to have short attention spans, so the ones who don't hear back probably won't be too put off by it.

By the way, kudos to you and your fiancee for doing that project for the kids and soliders. That's really special. :doh:

Been deployed twice in the last three years. Each time I received letters asking for Marines to write back. Got to tell you -- there are times when it is real hard to find a moment or the energy to write back. I know that sounds selfish, but it is hard to describe what I mean.

That said, I say include the address, but try not to ask for a letter back too hard. There are plenty of soldiers and Marines who want to write back and will, but it may take a while, and it may not be that many.

One big tip -- troops need a laugh. They'll be a lot more likely to hold onto the cards and eventually write back if the card is funny. I don't mean buy a funny card. I mean let the kids draw a picture of Osama tied to tree starving to death. Yeah, its morbid, but I still have copies of cards like that. Let the kids write things like "I hope the terrorists get the plague and die before they can plant anymore bombs" Etc.

A good place for the return addresses is on the back of each card. It is subtle, but the soldier/Marine will know...

I'm not on active-duty right now, but thanks for supporting the troops over there. The holidays are a real tough time to be away, but it is important to do things like letter writing in the time of the not-so-special times of the year, too. There will be somewhere along the lines of 150,000 pounds of letters from school-age children going to Iraq and Afghanistan this holdiay season, but less than 10,000 pounds in February, and even less in March.

I say do it.  I doubt you'll get a high response rate (they have a lot on their minds over there), but I bet you get at least a few and that would be wonderful for the kids.  Also, I think kids tend to have short attention spans, so the ones who don't hear back probably won't be too put off by it.

By the way, kudos to you and your fiancee for doing that project for the kids and soliders.  That's really special.  :doh:

143487[/snapback]

I'd do a general return at my home address and share the letters with all the kids, not one for each specific kid. That way no kids would feel bad if they didn't get a response. There has been no mention to them of even having troops write back. I'm certianly not expecting any letters back as this is not my intention in doing this, but thought it would really make the kids feel good if they do get letters. Which is why I'm wondering if I should provide that outlet without looking like we are expecting anything from the troops.

Been deployed twice in the last three years. Each time I received letters asking for Marines to write back. Got to tell you -- there are times when it is real hard to find a moment or the energy to write back. I know that sounds selfish, but it is hard to describe what I mean.

143489[/snapback]

I completly understand, which is why I'm hesitent about including anything saying if you would like to write the kids.......I want the cards to be seen for their true intentions, not as selfish. Maybe just leave that option with my friend and she can pass it on?

One big tip -- troops need a laugh. They'll be a lot more likely to hold onto the cards and eventually write back if the card is funny. I don't mean buy a funny card. I mean let the kids draw a picture of Osama tied to tree starving to death. Yeah, its morbid, but I still have copies of cards like that. Let the kids write things like "I hope the terrorists get the plague and die before they can plant anymore bombs" Etc.

Seeing how many of the cards were made in an Elementary school, that was kind of out of the question. Damn admins.

I'd do a general return at my home address and share the letters with all the kids, not one for each specific kid. That way no kids would feel bad if they didn't get a response.  There has been no mention to them of even having troops write back. I'm certianly not expecting any letters back as this is not my intention in doing this, but thought it would really make the kids feel good if they do get letters. Which is why I'm wondering if I should provide that outlet without looking like we are expecting anything from the troops.

143490[/snapback]

Ah, good idea. I think as other suggested, you could put the address on but not mention anything about a response. If the solider feels so inclined, he is free to do so. Good luck!

you should check with some authorities to see if they are even accepting general mail. i have heard that they are really tight on what gets through to the troops

My fiancee and I have organized having holiday cards made by kids to be sent to the troops in Iraq. We have well over a hundred that we will be mailing this weekend. They will be mailed to a friend I have there who will in turn pass out the cards among her division.

The question is, should we include a return address in each card in case the troops want to write back? I don't want to make it look like the kids are expecting something in return and I don't want anyone to feel like they need to write back.  The kids would obviously love to receive mail though and I'm sure some troops would like a chance to write them.

Should I leave it at just the cards or include a return mailing address for them? Military or ex-military opinions especially welcome. Thanks!

143469[/snapback]