What player does C.J. Spiller most resemble?

Hossage

Really if we are talking about potential coming out then Reggie Bush is the closest "Successful" talent you can compare him to.... I haven't seen enough of Chris Johnson yet to make that comparison though physically they are very similar.

as for Barry Sanders? Um, no... nobody yet has come close to looking like Barry....

Thurman Thomas? I'd hope so, but TT's "give me a crack, and I'll get you 3+yds." ability has been extremely rare at the NFL level.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Chris Johnson.

As much as I loved Eric Metcalf, I think Metcalf was a different player. Not so much a pure runner but more of an explosive gimmicky-type of player that could return kicks the distance, convert those 3rd downs, etc.

Metcalf is the much better version of Roscoe Parrish, and Dave Meggett was the better version of Eric Metcalf. Slightly different type of players.

I would be perfectly happy with him performing to the level, of say, a Roger Craig.

Man, now there was a running back!!

I used to have a #33 Roger Craig poster when I was a teenager on my wall. When I think of Roger Craig, I think of that highlight reel run against the LA Rams, where his high-knee hurdler style of running made contact with the head of a would-be Rams tackler. Slowed down, the video showed the 1-2 punch of one of Craig's knees, then the other...knocking the defender to the turf and allowing Craig to continue on his path to the end zone.

Craig is certainly in my top 5 all-time.

But I don't think Spiller is as physical.

Man, now there was a running back!!

I used to have a #33 Roger Craig poster when I was a teenager on my wall. When I think of Roger Craig, I think of that highlight reel run against the LA Rams, where his high-knee hurdler style of running made contact with the head of a would-be Rams tackler. Slowed down, the video showed the 1-2 punch of one of Craig's knees, then the other...knocking the defender to the turf and allowing Craig to continue on his path to the end zone.

Craig is certainly in my top 5 all-time.

But I don't think Spiller is as physical.

Craig was OK, but if there was ever an RB who was a product of the system more than him, I'd like to know who it was. Plus he had a relatively short shelf life. Spiller is 3/10 of a second faster than Craig, and a much better returner.

Thurman wasnt 200 pounds either, played most of his career around 190

I remember when I wasnt 200 pounds

Thurman didn't play at 190. He was called "Squatty Body" by his teammates exactly because he was so thick and big for his height, 5' 10". He was also really really good at pass blocking, people forget that but it was really true. 190 pounders get smashed backwards in the NFL.

Thurman didn't play at 190. He was called "Squatty Body" by his teammates exactly because he was so thick and big for his height, 5' 10". He was also really really good at pass blocking, people forget that but it was really true. 190 pounders get smashed backwards in the NFL.

Leverage and technique helps with some.

So the nfl footage that has him running 4.27 and 4.28 dont mean anything?

Has him at those times UNOFFICIALLY. Who knows how they got the unofficial results.

Here are the official combine results: http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers

Spiller's very fast, but doesn't compare to Johnson.

:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vibKFp6y_lc