Are there any home brewers here?

Hossage

I have done a couple batches in a plastic bucket from Lowes with an airlock and an aquarium thermometer, and ended up with surprisingly good results.

I can recommend Brewferm company's kits. I made a tripel style in said bucket and the results were comparable to Chimay. I do not exaggerate, I tried them side by side.

I have done a couple batches in a plastic bucket from Lowes with an airlock and an aquarium thermometer, and ended up with surprisingly good results.

Same here! I haven't this past year though. Can't wait to start it up again when I get back to Buffalo this fall!!

We're going to try and step it up a notch this time around....adda bit o' cinnamon and nutmeg and see how that turns out.

I've been a home brewer for 12 years, been brewing all grain for the past 6 or so. There is nothing better than good home brew. For those just getting into it I'd recommend heading over to The Brewing Network. I listen to The Session and Brew Strong podcasts a lot. You can also get some good information from the forums as well.

I've been a home brewer for 12 years, been brewing all grain for the past 6 or so. There is nothing better than good home brew. For those just getting into it I'd recommend heading over to The Brewing Network. I listen to The Session and Brew Strong podcasts a lot. You can also get some good information from the forums as well.

Don't forget to pay homage to Micheal Jackson . May he RIP. :devil:

Don't forget to pay homage to Micheal Jackson . May he RIP. ;)

Have you been to the Homebrew store on Sheridan?? Good people. Especially that dude who looks like Lurch ;)

Niagara Traditions Homebrew

When I was still in WNY I went to Niagara Tradition often, they are good people there. My wife bought me my first kit and gear for christmas back in the late 90's. Then she arranged for our good friend who is a pro brewer to teach me how to brew for the first time. That certainly helped me avoid a lot of beginner brewers mistakes. We have a few homebrew shops here in Raleigh, but they are a pretty far drivee for me, so I usually bulk buy a lot of my grain and hops with other local homebrewers. When I need a certain yeast strain or peice of equipment I usually order from one of the online homebrew shops. More Beer and Northern Brewer are two of my favorites. Cheers.

When I was still in WNY I went to Niagara Tradition often, they are good people there. My wife bought me my first kit and gear for christmas back in the late 90's. Then she arranged for our good friend who is a pro brewer to teach me how to brew for the first time. That certainly helped me avoid a lot of beginner brewers mistakes. We have a few homebrew shops here in Raleigh, but they are a pretty far drivee for me, so I usually bulk buy a lot of my grain and hops with other local homebrewers. When I need a certain yeast strain or peice of equipment I usually order from one of the online homebrew shops. More Beer and Northern Brewer are two of my favorites. Cheers.

Hey BFNC,

I haven't brewed since I moved to Abu Dhabi and I'm reaally looking forward to brewing again this fall when I move back to Buffalo. Last time we brewed we heard that there is a serious hops shortage going around and that they are rationing sales. Is that still the case?

Hey BFNC,

I haven't brewed since I moved to Abu Dhabi and I'm reaally looking forward to brewing again this fall when I move back to Buffalo. Last time we brewed we heard that there is a serious hops shortage going around and that they are rationing sales. Is that still the case?

No, not anymore. Hops are back in pretty good supply now at reasonable prices. From my understanding the main cause of the shortage was a warehouse fire at one of the hop farms in the pacific northwest. Certain varities of hops were near impossible to find for a few years there and even when you could find them the prices were astronomical and the amount you could order would be limited. I remember cenetennial hops which is one of my favorites was in serious shortage.

No, not anymore. Hops are back in pretty good supply now at reasonable prices. From my understanding the main cause of the shortage was a warehouse fire at one of the hop farms in the pacific northwest. Certain varities of hops were near impossible to find for a few years there and even when you could find them the prices were astronomical and the amount you could order would be limited. I remember cenetennial hops which is one of my favorites was in serious shortage.

Good to hear! I can't wait to start brewing again. Thank you! ;)

havent done it in years but think i am gonna go to the local homebrew club meeting in w. chester pa tonight....i love the hobby