Newport RI

WWVaBeach

I will be making monthly trips to Newport RI and I'm looking for recommendations from any of you who might be familiar with the area. I was there a couple weeks ago and didn't venture out much. One thing that I was warned of (by a Pats* fan I work with) is the Bills lanyard that I hang my Govt ID from. I got one remark and it created a cordial conversation. I'm heading up again next week and want to venture out. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Of course I'm interested in :unsure: .

Its pretty cool. I took my then GF, now wife for a long weekend. Did the whole mansion tours, harbor area, sail in the harbor thing. You can sail on America's Cup yachts and get outstanding seafood at almost any of the good restaurants. Couple of decent bars down by the harbor where we watched Mussina almost no-hit the Red Sox. Bar was 75% Red Sox fans, 25% Yankees fans. Really good place to take a chick for a couple days.

Brick Alley Pub has great food and is always a good time. Castle Hill is the best restaurant and has the best view. It is expensive but a great place to grab a cocktail and catch a sunset. You won't have a problem finding nightlife summer in Newport- it is everywhere downtown. Good ratio of women to men. Bars close early in Newport, but stay open later in Providence, which is a cool city close by. Some places in Providence have cafe licenses and stay open real late. Newport is a fun town

Brick Alley Pub has great food and is always a good time. Castle Hill is the best restaurant and has the best view. It is expensive but a great place to grab a cocktail and catch a sunset. You won't have a problem finding nightlife summer in Newport- it is everywhere downtown. Good ratio of women to men. Bars close early in Newport, but stay open later in Providence, which is a cool city close by. Some places in Providence have cafe licenses and stay open real late. Newport is a fun town

Brick Alley Pub was a favorite of the Mrs. and I many many many years ago while we were dating.

Good review, it's a fun town. I spent a lot of time in Newport as a youngster -- lived there one summer in college and used to visit frequently with my ex. Lots to see during the day, great happy hour vibe -- outdoor bars on the water, live music, good raw bar. And during the summer always a hopping nightlife and tons of women.

And I'll put in a 3d for Brick Alley Pub. Great spot for hair of the dog on a Saturday morning. :blink:

So the recommendation would be: stay as close to town as possible. I presume the Marriott is still nice, or as close to that as you can get so you can walk to everywhere.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely check out the Brick Alley Pub. :blink:

EDIT-I'm staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Middleton.

Ok, you'll be about 10 minutes from town so you'll have to call for cabs.

By the way, there are also beaches if you are inclined.

Mews Tavern in Wakefield is close by to Middletown and one of my favorite bars I have been. And Narangansett !@#$ing rocks! Especially if you love URI college girls!

I loved a few in my undergrad days! :blink:

I know Newport pretty well from my days in New England, when I used to spend my summers there. It's a GREAT party town by night, with beautiful beaches/sailing/golf by day and an interesting glimpse of how America's wealthiest families once lived.

Things have changed a bit since the America's Cup days - sadly, Sabina Doyle's (on Thames St.) is no more - but the best things to do in Newport are still biking, beaching, sailing, drinking, and chasing big-breasted beauties at

Christie's

and even more so at

The Candy Store

And, while there on Bannister's Wharf, be sure to sample the chowder at The Black Pearl (casual dress is fine on the patio, but it's 'jackets-required' in The Commodore Room).

Also, on Thames St. (the 'main drag' in town), One Pelham East is a fantastic bar.

Middletown, where you're staying, is just down Memorial Blvd. from downtown Newport - Second Beach is great for swimming, 'sight-seeing', and tanning your fat, but

The Atlantic Beach Club

is the place to combine beach/bar/dining activities and is right smack on the Middletown/Newport 'town line', and right at the beginning of

Cliff Walk

Besides the Cliff Walk, an activity I enjoyed almost daily was biking the

Ten Mile Drive

and a stop at

Fort Adams State Park - site of the Newport Jazz Festival (where I was lucky enough to see Miles Davis, Tito Puente, Celia Cruz, the Count Basie Orchestra, George Benson, McCoy Tyner, Harry Connick, Jr., etc., etc.)

There is also the occasional concert at the International Tennis Hall of Fame on the corner of Memorial Blvd. and Bellevue Avenue...

...will be playing there this month.

Of course, no trip to 'America's First Summer Resort' would be complete without touring the summer 'cottages' of America's 'captains' of industry/robber barons of the days before labor laws, the SEC, and income taxes - if you only tour one, it should be...

The Breakers

...although my other favorites are Marble House, The Elms, and Rosecliff (where 'The Great Gatsby' was filmed).

You can no longer visit Hammersmith Farm, Jackie Kennedy's childhood home and JFK's 'Summer White House', but you can visit the church in which they were married - St. Mary's - and, while on the subject of 'houses of worship', the oldest synagogue in America...

Touro Synagogue

Don't know if they still do this, but it was practically a required ritual to end your Newport weekend watching the sunset at

Sunday Happy Hour at Castle Hill

(Without fail, anyone and everyone - literally everyone - that you met during the week or out on the town at night could be found once more at Sunday HH @ Castle Hill.)

That's about all I got - except there was this bar on Bellevue in a little plaza across from 'Vicker's Liquors' that was definitely a Bills bar - they always were showing replays of Bills playoff games - I can't remember the name, but I'll PM you if I can revive that section of my brain.

(I wouldn't worry too much about showing your Bills colors in Newport - most Cheatriettes* fags, er, uh, I mean fans* are too low-brow for Newport and tend to head to the Cape (Dennis, Yarmouth, etc.) to swill Budweiser at Pufferbellies or The Improper Bostonian - you'll probably find as many or more New Yorkers in Newport than you will Bostonians.)

19 and 0 baby!!! :thumbsup:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

PosLUSZny!!!!! :bag:

I know Newport pretty well from my days in New England, when I used to spend my summers there. It's a GREAT party town by night, with beautiful beaches/sailing/golf by day and an interesting glimpse of how America's wealthiest families once lived.

Things have changed a bit since the America's Cup days - sadly, Sabina Doyle's (on Thames St.) is no more - but the best things to do in Newport are still biking, beaching, sailing, drinking, and chasing big-breasted beauties at

Christie's

and even more so at

The Candy Store

And, while there on Bannister's Wharf, be sure to sample the chowder at The Black Pearl (casual dress is fine on the patio, but it's 'jackets-required' in The Commodore Room).

Also, on Thames St. (the 'main drag' in town), One Pelham East is a fantastic bar.

Middletown, where you're staying, is just down Memorial Blvd. from downtown Newport - Second Beach is great for swimming, 'sight-seeing', and tanning your fat, but

The Atlantic Beach Club

is the place to combine beach/bar/dining activities and is right smack on the Middletown/Newport 'town line', and right at the beginning of

Cliff Walk

Besides the Cliff Walk, an activity I enjoyed almost daily was biking the

Ten Mile Drive

and a stop at

Fort Adams State Park - site of the Newport Jazz Festival (where I was lucky enough to see Miles Davis, Tito Puente, Celia Cruz, the Count Basie Orchestra, George Benson, McCoy Tyner, Harry Connick, Jr., etc., etc.)

There is also the occasional concert at the International Tennis Hall of Fame on the corner of Memorial Blvd. and Bellevue Avenue...

...will be playing there this month.

Of course, no trip to 'America's First Summer Resort' would be complete without touring the summer 'cottages' of America's 'captains' of industry/robber barons of the days before labor laws, the SEC, and income taxes - if you only tour one, it should be...

The Breakers

...although my other favorites are Marble House, The Elms, and Rosecliff (where 'The Great Gatsby' was filmed).

You can no longer visit Hammersmith Farm, Jackie Kennedy's childhood home and JFK's 'Summer White House', but you can visit the church in which they were married - St. Mary's - and, while on the subject of 'houses of worship, the oldest synagogue in America...

Touro Synagogue

Don't know if they still do this, but it was practically a required ritual to end your Newport weekend watching the sunset at

Sunday Happy Hour at Castle Hill

(Without fail, anyone and everyone - literally everyone - that you met during the week or out on the town at night could be found once more at Sunday HH @ Castle Hill.)

That's about all I got - except there was this bar on Bellevue in a little plaza across from 'Vicker's Liquors' that was definitely a Bill's bar - they always were showing replays of Bills playoff games - I can't remember the name, but I'll PM you if I can revive that section of my brain.

(I wouldn't worry too much about showing your Bills colors in Newport - most Cheatriettes* fags, er, uh, I mean fans* are too low-brow for Newport and tend to head to the Cape (Dennis, Yarmouth, etc.) to swill Budweiser at Pufferbellies or The Improper Bostonian - you'll probably find as many or more New Yorkers in Newport than you will Bostonians.)

19 and 0 baby!!! :lol:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

PosLUSZny!!!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks Sen impressive feedback! :rolleyes: I won't be spending any weekends there. Typical schedule is fly into PVD on Monday and back to Va Beach on Thu. I already have 3 trips scheduled and will try out some of the recommendations. Thanks again!