How would you like us to beat Miami in the season opener?

Hossage

Select preferred victory  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see?

• Guts. I want to physically pound the phins into submission.
    • Precision. I want the offense to click, passes caught, and the defense to get turnovers.
    • Heart. I want the Bills to come from behind and finish a see-saw game in the fourth quarter.
    • Blowout. I want to embarass Miami.
    • Other, please specify terms of victory.

You don't need mind-reading skills...just some semblance of historical knowledge of the draft.

You bring up some Hall of Fame type players who got selected at #1

Here's some other #1 overall picks

JaMarcus Russell

David Carr

Michael Vick

Courtney Brown

Tim Couch

Ki-Jana Carter

Just in the past 15 years...6 busts at #1 overall.

A good GM doesn't need a top pick to get a great player...only needs a solid scouting staff and the knowledge of how well a player may adapt from college to the NFL

The ONLY thing guaranteed by a #1 pick is getting stuck paying a ridiculously large salary and signing bonus. If you get a player who doesn't work out, whether it be because he sucked like Russell or suffered severe injuries like Carter, your team is !@#$ED for several years getting out from under that enormous contract.

Wanting your team to lose is pathetic and shows you're not much of a fan.

Some of the players you mentioned would not have been chosen by a good GM. Which, hopefully, the Bills now have.

As for guarantees--there's no such thing as a guarantee of anything in football. You could sign a first-rate free agent, in the prime of his career, only to watch him experience severe injuries. (Such as the Takeo Spikes signing for example.)

There are no guarantees in the draft either. There's always an element of risk. But the odds of drafting a bust are lowest, and the odds of drafting an elite-level player are highest, early in the draft.

Is it worth watching one's team go 1-15 if the reward for that is Peyton Manning? I say yes because--especially for this rebuilding Bills team--the long-term is a lot more important than the short-term. While there's no guarantee of getting a Peyton Manning at any draft position, the probability of obtaining one is highest very early in the first round.

Some of the players you mentioned would not have been chosen by a good GM. Which, hopefully, the Bills now have.

As for guarantees--there's no such thing as a guarantee of anything in football. You could sign a first-rate free agent, in the prime of his career, only to watch him experience severe injuries. (Such as the Takeo Spikes signing for example.)

There are no guarantees in the draft either. There's always an element of risk. But the odds of drafting a bust are lowest, and the odds of drafting an elite-level player are highest, early in the draft.

Is it worth watching one's team go 1-15 if the reward for that is Peyton Manning? I say yes because--especially for this rebuilding Bills team--the long-term is a lot more important than the short-term. While there's no guarantee of getting a Peyton Manning at any draft position, the probability of obtaining one is highest very early in the first round.

This is a Madden franchise strategy I tried when I was 12. Simulate a horrible season overnight, and the next day build a better team. This is also a video game where the probability of player quality doesn't have a lot of variables at a given draft position.

Back to reality.

None of the people who watch the games want to see a losing season. (edit: not just know that it happened, but sit through every painful game) The probability increase of drafting "a Peyton Manning" at pick 1-2 vs 10-20 is not worth intentionally tanking a season.

There are other reasons to be expanded on that explain why this is not worth the downside (marketing, locker room morale, potential league ethics issues, etc). For me, having to watch an intentional losing season is enough of an argument.

This is a Madden franchise strategy I tried when I was 12. Simulate a horrible season overnight, and the next day build a better team. This is also a video game where the probability of player quality doesn't have a lot of variables at a given draft position.

Back to reality.

None of the people who watch the games want to see a losing season. (edit: not just know that it happened, but sit through every painful game) The probability increase of drafting "a Peyton Manning" at pick 1-2 vs 10-20 is not worth intentionally tanking a season.

There are other reasons to be expanded on that explain why this is not worth the downside (marketing, locker room morale, potential league ethics issues, etc). For me, having to watch an intentional losing season is enough of an argument.

The last Madden game I played was for the Super Nintendo, so you probably know more about that than me. "Franchise mode" sounds interesting, but as you say it only has as much connection to reality as the game designers chose to include.

As for reality: I suggest that we talk to Colts fans, and ask them whether getting Peyton Manning was worth the 1-15 season and the associated short-term loss in morale, etc. (Something tells me that having Peyton Manning around is a bonus to the Colts' morale; just as Matt Ryan adds to the Falcons' morale.) For me personally, the long-term benefit of having a franchise QB on the Bills team is more than worth the short-term pain of watching them lose games in the 2010 season.

During the year the Patriots had a perfect record (at least during the regular season!), their last game of the year was against the Giants. While the Giants lost that game, they played the Patriots close. They realized that with a few things going differently, they could have won. Even though that game was a loss, it gave the Giants the confidence they needed to win their playoff games and to beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Hopefully this year's Bills team will have a lot of games like that.

I think the opener sets the tone for a good part of the season, and in our case, I think, will have a big impact on our season. We are a big question mark right now - and will be so until after game one. No one knows really how our offense or defense will look. That alone is an advantage. Furthermore, Miami, although being a solid team, is one of the wins we would expect, when looking at the schedule, and which might be one of the more beatable opponents.

We are going to see some good passing and running with Miami - now having Brandon Marshall - that bumps their number one and two recievers from last year to their two and three, respectively, which adds a lot of dynamic to the group, and skill. So, our run and pass defense will be tested. If we get beat up on, it could get into their heads a little, allowing the players to think that once again they're on a losing team. On the other hand, if we can stand up and play like men, play with pride, and not get pushed around, and showcase our talents, then we might be able to develop a bit of confidence and carry that over. As was just posted on Buffalo Rumblings - the mental aspect of the team is just as important as the physical. We've got to expect to go out and be able to beat on the opponent if we ever expect to have a winning team here.

I can imagine it now - Buffalo's defense coming out tough, shutting down the wildcat and the passing game of Miami, jumping out to a good lead, and holding on to that lead throughout the game. The announcers would be saying, "what a surprise out of Buffalo. A lot of people expected this team to be in rebuilding mode - well, someone forgot to send the Memo to the Bills. This team looks pretty good!"

Yeah.

:bag:;)

That is how a crap shoot is defined.

I think I figured out your true motive:

Holcomb's Arm

Edwards' Arm

2011 Chance To Place a Better QB's Name Here Arm :bag:

I have lived through too many crap seasons to wish for ONE MORE so I can say "wait until next year" for the 43rd time.

Win Now...or Whine!

That is how a crap shoot is defined.

I think I figured out your true motive:

Holcomb's Arm

Edwards' Arm

2011 Chance To Place a Better QB's Name Here Arm :rolleyes:

I have lived through too many crap seasons to wish for ONE MORE so I can say "wait until next year" for the 43rd time.

Win Now...or Whine!

:lol:

Yes! I'd love to rename myself "Ponder's_Arm" or something like that! :lol: Partly because I'm tired of being stuck with a name like Edwards'_Arm, but mostly because it would mean that the Bills would (finally) have a replacement for Jim Kelly.

Look at what they did in the past to try to replace Kelly. First they tried to do it on the cheap; using a second round pick on Todd Collins. Then (for some inane reason) they traded a third round pick for Billy Joe Hobart. Did anyone really think that he would be the next Jimbo? :bag:

After that the decision was made to trade a first and a fourth to Jacksonville for Rob Johnson. While at the same time signing Doug Flutie; so that Flutie could interfere with Johnson's development, and Johnson could interfere with the promise the Bills had made to give Flutie a legitimate shot at the starting gig.

After that brilliant experiment had somehow resulted in failure, the Bills wisely chose to trade away yet another first round pick for the aging, second string QB in New England. Other than the first eight games, that experiment didn't produce any results either.

In the 2004 draft, TD tried to trade up for Roethlisberger, but was unsuccessful. So after using his first round pick on a WR, TD traded back into the first round for an athletically gifted QB who'd never proved himself as a pocket passer at the college level. Surprisingly enough, Losman was never able to prove himself as a pocket passer in the NFL either, even though he was given plenty of chances to do so.

The next plan for the Bills' QB situation was a guy taken in the third round, who (thus far) has produced about the level of play you'd expect from a third round pick. Trent Edwards knows how to dump the ball off, and on occasion has shown more than just that. Eventually he was benched in favor of Ryan Fitzpatrick, for crying out loud! It's a pretty sad state of affairs when even Fitzpatrick outplays you!

Now the hopes of many Bills fans are turning to Brohm; a second round pick who'd been released by Green Bay early in his second year. (And who hadn't been claimed off of waivers by anyone else for a period of several weeks or months.) Could that guy be the next Jim Kelly? Maybe, but the odds are heavily against him.

The Bills' QB position has been a constant source of pain ever since Kelly hung up his cleats. The time to end that pain is NOW!!! ;):lol::devil: Well, as close to now as possible; which in this case means the 2011 draft. As Bills fans, we should be mentally prepared to do whatever it takes to end the agony and embarrassment at QB; up to and including a 1-15 season in 2010.