Athlon Sports team outlook

The Athlon grades are fair. Any new coaching staff gets a C in my book. Reputation from a previous stint doesn't impress me much. Spurrier, Saban, Carroll, Ditka, Gibbs II, etc. It's more about finding a place with the right organizational support and a QB that has franchise talent and a knack of staying healthy and/or productive while hurt.

The changes to the D front 7 are way overlooked. The tendency is to say new scheme = less productivity. I say when your at the bottom as run defenders you are likely to have nowhere to go but up. The bigger bodies they have added will see to that. They were too small on the edges IMO.

It's tough to believe the O could be as bad as last year. Just being healthy and having another years worth of experience should create some improvement. A head coach with an offensive pedigree should mean something. Having a run first mentality is the right move. Now if they can just have an abnormal run of windy game days they could really surprise the football world.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is C harsh for our coach, If you think Gaily deserves better than a C then list the 16+ NFL head coaches you think he's better than.

Why 16? Because C is supposedly average? Kinda hard to make judgements of any coach before he's coached a single game for a team.

Nevertheless, based on his record with Dallas and what I've heard out of him so far, I'd wager he's better than Marvin Lewis, Eric Man-genius, Jack Del Rio, Tom Cable, Norv Turner, Gary Kubiak, probably Mike Singeltary. It's too hard to judge some of the newer guys, though, like Todd Haley, Raheem Morris, etc.

But, note this: Gailey and Tony Sparano have identical W-L records as head coaches, both have a division championship, and Gailey has one more playoff birth than Sparano.

Gailey's a smart, no-nonsense football guy and appears to be a great teacher. He's got a track record for scoring points and mentoring players. That alone ought to warrant a B.