Rumors: Troy Smith... as the Bills' starter- ESPN Insider

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you, but I think it's because he's a young QB who got sick at the wrong time and, thus, really hasn't gotten much of a chance. Bulger is proven and Smith isn't yet. I guess the Ravens didn't want to take a chance that Sal Paolantonio is right. :thumbsup:

A lot of us want a proven QB (I've seen the names Garcia & Campbell thrown around in this thread), but that QB comes at a price. It won't happen.

I can see this Troy Smith thing happening. He's saying the right things, but you have to believe he's not happy being relegated to the 3rd QB w/o being given much of a shot. Perhaps he needs the right offense? Hard to say, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade for Smith, Brown being sent to the PS, and one of Edwards/Brohm being shown the door.

Ok wait...you think Troy wasnt given much of a shot, yet you want to show Brohm the door before giving him a shot? I find it so ironic when you and others say this because if Troy gets cut he essentially is traveling almost the exact path of Brohm where they have an entrenched starter and couldnt win the back up role. The difference is Brohm has a better NFL QB pedigre, was more highly regarded coming out, and had just 1-1/2 years in the league before we got him...not to mention Troy actually had a shot to play in Balt and wasnt impressive enough to keep Balt from drafting Flacco.

WRONG!...He was named the starter. You have your facts wrong. The tonsillitis opened the door for 1st round pick Flacco and the QB of the future didn't screw it up and kept the job.

Come on...do you even get how rediculous this statement is? Balt is going to play the better QB...they are a SB contending team. If Troy was better than Flacco, he would have beaten him out. So, how on earth did tonsillites lose him his job?

And for all the other people foolishly claiming he lost the job from getting sick...You do realize he got sick just before the THIRD PRESEASON GAME after they ALREADY DRAFTED FLACCO right (not to mention Flacco was already the favorite to win the job to begin with). I mean, its not like Troy got sick and because of that they drafted Flacco. They thought so little of Troy after getting some starts the year before that they went out and used a FIRST ROUND pick on a QB.

Troy had his shot...it was NOT sickness that lost him the job. Flacco was a 1st round pick and the intent was to get him on the field. He beat out Troy because is a far SUPERIOR QB...

WRONG!...He was named the starter. You have your facts wrong. The tonsillitis opened the door for 1st round pick Flacco and the QB of the future didn't screw it up and kept the job.

No, you're wrong.

Smith was only started 1 preseason games in 2008 as he was competing with Boller for the starting job. In his fist start, game 2 of the preseason, this is how he did, as recapped on NFL.com:

QB Smith struggles: Second-year QB Troy Smith, competing for a spot as Baltimore's No.1, looked shaky in his first start of the preseason. Smith opened a two-minute drill at the end of the second half with an interception on a pass intended for Mark Clayton. Smith was removed before the following possession, finishing the day 3 of 5 for 25 yards.

He also took a couple of sacks. Nice.

Then after that bomb, the coaching staff decided to take one more look and White was "named the starter"----of the 3rd preseason game. His tonsils saved him the embarrassment of losing the job to a rookie, who by the way had this as his first start (in a REAL game) in Week 1.

Game balls

Rookie QB Joe Flacco didn't have spectacular statistics (15-of-29, 129 yards) but he showed poise in the pocket and managed the game in the second half like a veteran. The 6-foot-6, 230-pounder even scampered 38 yards down the sideline for a touchdown. He also didn't have a turnover.

Troy White was never going to start for the Ravens.

Your sh*t is lame.

wow, this is something that amounts to very little as Troy Smith now joins a long line of players the Bills have never signed in being their starter over the past 10 months.

Vick

someone mentioned Whitehurst

Tebow

Clausen

now Smith.

... Testeverde next?

jw

... you forgot

Garcia

Campbell

Russell

McNabb

I hear you, but I think it's because he's a young QB who got sick at the wrong time and, thus, really hasn't gotten much of a chance. Bulger is proven and Smith isn't yet. I guess the Ravens didn't want to take a chance that Sal Paolantonio is right. :thumbsup:

A lot of us want a proven QB (I've seen the names Garcia & Campbell thrown around in this thread), but that QB comes at a price. It won't happen.

I can see this Troy Smith thing happening. He's saying the right things, but you have to believe he's not happy being relegated to the 3rd QB w/o being given much of a shot. Perhaps he needs the right offense? Hard to say, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade for Smith, Brown being sent to the PS, and one of Edwards/Brohm being shown the door.

I think it would be a great move for the Bills to sign Troy Smith. Considering that Trent is injury prone, it's important that the Bills have three quality players at the QB position (I'm a Trent fan, and I think he's going to get the starting job).

I think you make a really good point about Troy Smith getting sick at the wrong time. The fact of the matter is that he did win the Baltimore starting QB job over Joe Flacco.

I am from Columbus and went to every game that Troy Smith played in. I can tell you that he has the arm strength, poise, and pocket presence to be a successful NFL QB. Whether or not he can read defenses quickly and on a consistent basis is yet to be seen. However, the fact that he won the Baltimore job at one point makes it seem as though he can digest a complicated offense.

I think it would be a great move for the Bills to sign Troy Smith. Considering that Trent is injury prone, it's important that the Bills have three quality players at the QB position (I'm a Trent fan, and I think he's going to get the starting job).

I think you make a really good point about Troy Smith getting sick at the wrong time. The fact of the matter is that he did win the Baltimore starting QB job over Joe Flacco.

I am from Columbus and went to every game that Troy Smith played in. I can tell you that he has the arm strength, poise, and pocket presence to be a successful NFL QB. Whether or not he can read defenses quickly and on a consistent basis is yet to be seen. However, the fact that he won the Baltimore job at one point makes it seem as though he can digest a complicated offense.

He never beat out Flacco...this is just fact, not even an argumentable topic. Worse yet to the delusions of Troy Smith in this thread is the fact that no one seems to acknowledge that despite playing in some games the year PRIOR to Flacco, they still felt he wasnt good enough and then used a FIRST ROUND pick in the next draft on Flacco. Troy was not going to be the starter for Balt and was still battling Boller even...

Flacco was named the week 1 starter because he is the BETTER quarterback and its not even a debateable topic.

You're kidding right? Trent is a bum. People need to finally get that. As I have pointed out in the past as have people like Darth Ice...all you need do is take a look at footage at buffalobills.com to see the lame ducks that trent chucks up there. This guy is a professionaly F'ing QB. The guy can't throw a spiral over 15 - 20 yards in the air. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!? A spiral pass. And people wonder why he doesn't throw deep.

IT'S BECAUSE HE SUCKS AT IT!!!

And Troy Smith has just lit the NFL up? You are the one who has to be kidding. If Edwards is a bum than Smith is dumpster water-at best.

He never beat out Flacco...this is just fact, not even an argumentable topic. Worse yet to the delusions of Troy Smith in this thread is the fact that no one seems to acknowledge that despite playing in some games the year PRIOR to Flacco, they still felt he wasnt good enough and then used a FIRST ROUND pick in the next draft on Flacco. Troy was not going to be the starter for Balt and was still battling Boller even...

Flacco was named the week 1 starter because he is the BETTER quarterback and its not even a debateable topic.

Pretty sure he is better than all our QB's.

So Smith has played some games and can't possibly be any good?

How many games does Brohm get before you to switch to the "he's the worst QB ever" crusade?

Ok wait...you think Troy wasnt given much of a shot, yet you want to show Brohm the door before giving him a shot? I find it so ironic when you and others say this because if Troy gets cut he essentially is traveling almost the exact path of Brohm where they have an entrenched starter and couldnt win the back up role. The difference is Brohm has a better NFL QB pedigre, was more highly regarded coming out, and had just 1-1/2 years in the league before we got him...not to mention Troy actually had a shot to play in Balt and wasnt impressive enough to keep Balt from drafting Flacco.

What do people NOT get about the fact that Troy Smith was the #1 QB in Baltimore before the tonsillitis? 1st round pick "QB of the future" Flacco comes in and doesn't screw things up. It's became his job. This HARDLY the same stituation as Brohm.

That being said I like Brohm the best of our QBs. What is wrong with competition at the position. Shouldn't the best man win regardless of who that is? It's thinking like this of not challenging certain players at certain positions that has lead to a dirth of talent at QB, WR, DE, etc.

Come on...do you even get how rediculous this statement is? Balt is going to play the better QB...they are a SB contending team. If Troy was better than Flacco, he would have beaten him out. So, how on earth did tonsillites lose him his job?

And for all the other people foolishly claiming he lost the job from getting sick...You do realize he got sick just before the THIRD PRESEASON GAME after they ALREADY DRAFTED FLACCO right (not to mention Flacco was already the favorite to win the job to begin with). I mean, its not like Troy got sick and because of that they drafted Flacco. They thought so little of Troy after getting some starts the year before that they went out and used a FIRST ROUND pick on a QB.

Troy had his shot...it was NOT sickness that lost him the job. Flacco was a 1st round pick and the intent was to get him on the field. He beat out Troy because is a far SUPERIOR QB...

You do realize that Troy Smith was named the starter right? Yes as stated first round pick QB of the future Flacco was already on the roster. I thought that was pretty clear since I SAID IT!!! IF Flacco was the favorite to win the job how come they named Troy the starter. Doesn't seem to make sense does it?

One thing that is obvious is that you don't know how to spell "ridiculous"!!!! I am NOT the spelling police but seriously dude!

And Troy Smith has just lit the NFL up? You are the one who has to be kidding. If Edwards is a bum than Smith is dumpster water-at best.

Dude you are a tool. I would take a guy that was the starter and lost to an actual great young QB than Trent who HAS A PROVEN TRACK RECORD OF FAILURE AND WHOSE MOST TALENTED CHALLENGER WAS JP LOSMAN!!!! I guess you like consistency over success.

By the way...have you even looked at video of Edwards trying to huck the ball over 15 yards. I have never seen ducks so lame. I am not talking about NFL QB's either. Me and the buds can throw the ball with better grace and touch than the wobbly turds Edwards throws up there. Mind you he is doing this in practice in shorts with no pass rush. It can only get better right?

BWhahaWHAWHWHwahahwwhaWhAHWAHwaWHaWWHwHWAAW!!!!

Clown!

What do people NOT get about the fact that Troy Smith was the #1 QB in Baltimore before the tonsillitis? 1st round pick "QB of the future" Flacco comes in and doesn't screw things up. It's became his job. This HARDLY the same stituation as Brohm

You do realize that Troy Smith was named the starter right? Yes as stated first round pick QB of the future Flacco was already on the roster. I thought that was pretty clear since I SAID IT!!! IF Flacco was the favorite to win the job how come they named Troy the starter. Doesn't seem to make sense does it?

Wow. How many times can a guy repeat the same wrong statement?

He was never named the starter. He started one preseason game--and sucked. Give it up!

I think you are technically correct that Troy Smith was never named the week one starter. Troy Smith was named the starter of the 3rd preseason game though. It would probably be best if a Ravens fan could interject and tell us what was really going on.

I think you are technically correct that Troy Smith was never named the week one starter. Troy Smith was named the starter of the 3rd preseason game though. It would probably be best if a Ravens fan could interject and tell us what was really going on.

Done.

Smith was only started 1 preseason games in 2008 as he was competing with Boller for the starting job. In his fist start, game 2 of the preseason, this is how he did, as recapped on NFL.com:

QB Smith struggles: Second-year QB Troy Smith, competing for a spot as Baltimore's No.1, looked shaky in his first start of the preseason. Smith opened a two-minute drill at the end of the second half with an interception on a pass intended for Mark Clayton. Smith was removed before the following possession, finishing the day 3 of 5 for 25 yards.

He also took a couple of sacks. Nice.

Then after that bomb, the coaching staff decided to take one more look and White was "named the starter"----of the 3rd preseason game. His tonsils saved him the embarrassment of losing the job to a rookie, who by the way had this as his first start (in a REAL game) in Week 1.

Wow. How many times can a guy repeat the same wrong statement?

He was never named the starter. He started one preseason game--and sucked. Give it up!

If I am wrong on technicality so be it. Preseason game 3 starter, IS AS YOU KNOW IF YOU WATCH FOOTBALL, the guy who will be the week 1 starter. So, again, if I don't remember correctly and it was JUST as the preseason week 3 starter, I'll give you your point on a technicality. I will also use my football smarts and I understand that that equals regular season starter. Preseason game 3 is THE only important game of preseason as the starters play through the half and give way to the backups in the 3rd quarter.

OH, and the actual relevant part is that he would likely immediately become our best QB and at the very LEAST would challenge the collection of fodder we currently have on the roster :thumbsup: But, I guess you are afraid that if we brought him in he might actually BEAT OUT your boy Trent. Well Mr lover of mediocrity I would rather see more competition at EVERY position with perhaps the exception of CB seeing as how we find diamonds in the rough and draft 1st round CBs every 3rd year.

:thumbsup:

If I am wrong on technicality so be it. Preseason game 3 starter, IS AS YOU KNOW IF YOU WATCH FOOTBALL, the guy who will be the week 1 starter. So, again, if I don't remember correctly and it was JUST as the preseason week 3 starter, I'll give you your point on a technicality. I will also use my football smarts and I understand that that equals regular season starter. Preseason game 3 is THE only important game of preseason as the starters play through the half and give way to the backups in the 3rd quarter.

i thought Joe Flacco was the starter in Baltimore? didn't he help them to the playoffs? wouldn't starting a playoff game trump starting in the preseason, Weeks 1-4? what is this all about?

jw

i thought Joe Flacco was the starter in Baltimore? didn't he help them to the playoffs? wouldn't starting a playoff game trump starting in the preseason, Weeks 1-4? what is this all about?

jw

All it trumps is that he got his start DUE TO THE TROY SMITH ILLNESS. The silly point we are arguing is that Troy although technically unproven DID do well enough to earn the starting job in Baltimore over Boller AND Flacco. Soooooo the reasoning is why not bring him in to Buffalo to compete? Insert standard statement about the crap we currently have at QB. More competition at QB couldn't hurt could it? We have seen what the last few years have yielded shying away from anyone that could even remotely outplay Trent for the job. That being said Fitz AND Brohm both outplayed Trent.

Honestly I would have preferred Jason Campbell because he has already proved he could do more with less in Washington. He went to Oakland early in the off seasons before Nix and Gailey had the chance to put the current chumps on the roster through their paces. (Still have hope for Brohm). It's too bad. Campbell went to Oakland for not too much if memory serves. He would have provided the first credible threat to Trentative since JP got the boot.

It's time for some REAL competition at the position.

Saw this at ESPN under the insider headline. Anyone have a subscription that can elaborate or is this old news that hasn't been updated?

you obviously dont have insider. what you say could not be further from the truth.

all they were doing was speculating where he may land if he gets cut .

nice try though adding all that starter sh-t!