Shouldn't working the middle help our QBs

Coach55

One of the things that has been severely lacking under the Jauron era is the passes in the middle of the field. As one of my previous posts, I commented on Gailey's use of the middle in OTAs. Much is argued that throwing over the middle is more difficult. I don't understand why this argument flies. Yes, I understand that WRs have the chance of getting hit by a LB causing more pain. But think about this simple math:

The field is 53 yards wide, so if a standard dropback is about 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage, a 10 yard out would be in the air for a total of 30 yards (this assumes the receiver has 2 yards at the sideline for the reception)

If you were to run a 10 yard crossing pattern or slant, again assuming a 7 yd dropback, the pass would be in the air for 17-20 yd range, pending where in the middle of the field

Not that I am a football genius by any means, but logically, shouldn't you be able to hit a target 10 yards closer with a way greater degree of accuracy. On top of which the ball would be in the air for 1/2 to 2/3s of time giving less time for the DB's to react. Thoughts?

Thats right homie, dick couldnt work it up the middle because he was soft. The lack of willingness to release a tight end up the field was probably a result of our lack of protection ans generally conservative approach. Bledsoe could hit passes over the middle and back safeties up.

One of the things that has been severely lacking under the Jauron era is the passes in the middle of the field. As one of my previous posts, I commented on Gailey's use of the middle in OTAs. Much is argued that throwing over the middle is more difficult. I don't understand why this argument flies. Yes, I understand that WRs have the chance of getting hit by a LB causing more pain. But think about this simple math:

The field is 53 yards wide, so if a standard dropback is about 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage, a 10 yard out would be in the air for a total of 30 yards (this assumes the receiver has 2 yards at the sideline for the reception)

If you were to run a 10 yard crossing pattern or slant, again assuming a 7 yd dropback, the pass would be in the air for 17-20 yd range, pending where in the middle of the field

Not that I am a football genius by any means, but logically, shouldn't you be able to hit a target 10 yards closer with a way greater degree of accuracy. On top of which the ball would be in the air for 1/2 to 2/3s of time giving less time for the DB's to react. Thoughts?

There's a lot more hands to throw through in the middle of the field, plus bad things can happen it the ball goes up in the air. I think the hallmark of the Jauron era will be that the offense was not allowed to take chances (eg do anything that might turn the ball over) but there was not enough talent on the field for us to play without taking chances. The only way to play that way is to establish your will with a competent oline. As we all know, OBD failed to put an oline capable of consistently pushing people out of the way.

Guest dog14787

To work the middle of the field properly it helps to have athletes built to go accross the middle. (big/tall)

I've mentioned this before and I'll say it again, Nix/Gailey have the bigger is better mindset and that alone will help our Buffalo Bills Football team allot from an injury standpoint and produce better results in the win/loss column in my opinion.

Bigger is better...

To work the middle of the field properly it helps to have athletes built to go accross the middle. (big/tall)

I've mentioned this before and I'll say it again, Nix/Gailey have the bigger is better mindset and that alone will help our Buffalo Bills Football team allot from an injury standpoint and produce better results in the win/loss column in my opinion.

Bigger is better...

politely i'll disagree, In the Jets and Carolina games AVP and Dick called on some slants and Evans had two of his best games of the season.

running a west coast offense like dick originally had planned, you need to have quick slants along with the hitches outs and dumpoffs. This alone would have played to Edwards strengths, and Fitzy likely would have benefitted as well.

There's a lot more hands to throw through in the middle of the field, plus bad things can happen it the ball goes up in the air. I think the hallmark of the Jauron era will be that the offense was not allowed to take chances (eg do anything that might turn the ball over) but there was not enough talent on the field for us to play without taking chances. The only way to play that way is to establish your will with a competent oline. As we all know, OBD failed to put an oline capable of consistently pushing people out of the way.

This pretty much sums up the DJ era. Play not to lose. Good post.

Thats right homie, dick couldnt work it up the middle because he was soft. The lack of willingness to release a tight end up the field was probably a result of our lack of protection ans generally conservative approach. Bledsoe could hit passes over the middle and back safeties up.

That's what she said....

* tried to resist but just couldn't * :flirt: