Felser article on Gailey

ACor58

I thought the draft was a crap-shoot? I mean, for every Peyton Manning, there's a JaMarcus Russell. And for every Bruce Smith, there's an Aundray Bruce. It's obvious to me that you can miss on a top-5 pick, so it's really not the benefit you make it out to be.

Reading your thread, it's almost as if Polian was granted these guys and put no thought into it. I mean, guys like Ray Childress, Chris Doleman, and Ryan Leaf were definitely rated below the top pick in those 85 and 98 drafts, right?

Buffalo hit rock bottom in 2001, and ended up getting a bust in the subsequent 2002 draft. Detroit has had numerous busts (Charles Rogers) and Oakland as well (Robert Gallery). The common denominator is those teams had piss-poor decision makers just like Buffalo had from 06-09 in the least.

Except that Peyton Manning was everyone's consensus #1 overall pick. And Polian didn't draft Bruce Smith, or Kelly, or Reed, or Reich. Polian was director of pro personnel for most of that (1985) year.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parcells had the 1st overall pick in the draft in 3 of the 5 gigs he's had (Pats in 1993, Jets in 1997, and Dols in 2008). Would you advocate the Bills tanking this season to get the 1st overall pick next year, to help in the overhaul effort?

Well, I may consider. The last 10 years have not turned out so well......But every year we get excited about the 'high-motor' guy from the 3rd round and the steal we got in the 7th. Change is good. Maybe a top 2 pick would help.

Better question is: Could it really hurt???

(I'm not saying......I'm just sayin'....)

Nice numbers, but the point of diminishing returns is quite simple:

NYG: 2 super bowl wins

NE: one SB appearance, no wins

NYJ: one AFC Championship Appearance, no wins

DAL: No playoff wins

MIA: No playoff wins

Considering that each of the teams after the Giants picked up Tuna claiming it would lead to a SB championship, one sees that the highs get lower with each team. Does that mean he is a bad coach or GM? No, but it also means that the assumption that success replicates itself is flawed. If anything, it is a photocopy of a photocopy, each time a bit fainter.

If the Dolphins win the Super Bowl, are we going to throw out that result because Parcells is VP and not HC? Just wondering where this "Law" is going to go if the data doesn't fit the theory.

Except that Peyton Manning was everyone's consensus #1 overall pick. And Polian didn't draft Bruce Smith, or Kelly, or Reed, or Reich. Polian was director of pro personnel for most of that (1985) year.

Robert Irsay apparently disagrees. Not that he's on the inside or anything.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives...tween-peyt.html

What you say is true, and makes even more amazing the continued good work of another old Buffalo sports icon, Dr. Jack Ramsey.

Ramsey used to coach our Buffalo Braves, shortly afterwards coached the Portland Trailblazers to the NBA title (Bill Walton), and continues to work as an analyst for nationally broadcast NBA games, all at the age of 85 years old.

Amazingly, his work is still excellent.

There will always be the exception. Good to hear old Jack is still sharp, although I haven't followed the NBA in a long long time now. Say, is John Hummer still playing? (Good that bum was pitiful ...)

If the Dolphins win the Super Bowl, are we going to throw out that result because Parcells is VP and not HC? Just wondering where this "Law" is going to go if the data doesn't fit the theory.

How does the data not fit my theory? I just told you how it did.

Tell you what. If the Dolphins win the Super Bowl. I will pronounce the BPLoDR defunct. Will that make you happy?

If, however, they do not, and if Tuna ends up leaving Miami within the next three years, which would fit his pattern, I expect a recognition of the Law's validity.

There was some interest in Parcells around Buffalo for GM because of his escape clause in Miami with the new ownership. If you followed football in the 60s, 70s, and 80s you realize how much better a football writer and shrewder an observer of the Bills was Felser over the Tim Grahams of today. Who cares if he favored Flutie in 1985. So did a ton of other respected football people. And that type of mistake is still being made today. How many writers think we are going to be one of the worst teams in the league because we didn't draft a QB and LT in the first 2 rounds?

How does the data not fit my theory? I just told you how it did.

No ****.

Obviously, the way my question was stated I was not asking for yet another dull restatement of your theory and how it fits the known data today. Sorry. I didn't think my question was that confusing.

Tell you what. If the Dolphins win the Super Bowl. I will pronounce the BPLoDR defunct. Will that make you happy?

If, however, they do not, and if Tuna ends up leaving Miami within the next three years, which would fit his pattern, I expect a recognition of the Law's validity.

Really, a Law should apply universally. Since your Law already has counterexamples such as Dick Vermeil and Jon Gruden and Tony Dungy, it's not universal. Did you know that there are over a dozen assistant coaches that have coached winning Super Bowl teams for multiple organizations?

But, I digress. We are establishing a Law as applied to one Bill Parcells. It is ironic actually to do so since establishing a Law about Bill Parcells makes Bill Parcells ever more prominent. :P

As far as this "BPLoDR", you're making up all the rules, so whatever floats your boat.

Shudder the thought if the man retires in his early seventies. Most (other than dysfunctional franchises) have a far younger man running their teams.

No ****.

Obviously, the way my question was stated I was not asking for yet another dull restatement of your theory and how it fits the known data today. Sorry. I didn't think my question was that confusing.

Really, a Law should apply universally. Since your Law already has counterexamples such as Dick Vermeil and Jon Gruden and Tony Dungy, it's not universal. Did you know that there are over a dozen assistant coaches that have coached winning Super Bowl teams for multiple organizations?

But, I digress. We are establishing a Law as applied to one Bill Parcells. It is ironic actually to do so since establishing a Law about Bill Parcells makes Bill Parcells ever more prominent. :unsure:

As far as this "BPLoDR", you're making up all the rules, so whatever floats your boat.

Yes I am making up the rules, as one might expect from a humorous interjection into a discussion on a football fan board. I am so delighted to see you carry on this conversation with the light touch and sense of humor that has become the trademark of the new TBD. :rolleyes:

Apparently, a good-natured jab at the Immortal Tuna is a terrible example of lèse majesté to some. I shall endeavor not to commit such an awful crime in the future.

There will always be the exception. Good to hear old Jack is still sharp, although I haven't followed the NBA in a long long time now. Say, is John Hummer still playing? (Good that bum was pitiful ...)

John Hummer has a son who committed to playing college ball at Princeton. John Hummer, the father, also played at Princeton. His son is one of the better HS players in the DC area. His son played for Gonzaga HS, one of the better basketball programs in the region.