Tom Modrak Must Go !!!!!!!!!!&

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After many years of Tom Modrak being in the organiztion and playing a vital role in our NFL Draft. ...Greg Williams wanted us to draft a QB that was available when the Bills made their first round selection when he was the head coach here. That QB is playing for New Orleans Saints now and is wearing a Super Bowl ring already!!!!!!!!!! Modrak didn't agree with Greg Williams and we all grew to despise Williams as a head coach. Looks like we despised the wrong guy!...

ok... I had to go and check on this... while there is no proof that williams indeed wanted a QB (I dont see why the first year, primarily defensive coach would want one when we had the wonderful rob johnson on staff... but thats besides the point) I think our first three rounds I'd say were pretty good that year, with Nate Clements, Schoebel, and Travis Henry.

and also, as people have pointed out, Modrak didnt start "running" the draft until 2002. this was the 2001 draft

After many years of Tom Modrak being in the organiztion and playing a vital role in our NFL Draft. I just fail to understand why he is still in the Bills organization. The Bills have had several blunders in the draft and in my opinion it continues. Last year taking Aaron Maybin over Bryan Orakapo DE was obviously not a swift move and it was easy to

realize from the onset that choosing a undersized Maybin was a bad selection when Orakapo was the consensus best DE in the draft by a good margin. Modrak has been a key to why the Bills pick who they do and this year choosing a RB over a OLT or QB was highly questionable in many fans and experts alike opinions. These are just two of many examples of his poor contributions to our drafts. Greg Williams wanted us to draft a QB that was available when the Bills made their first round selection when he was the head coach here. That QB is playing for New Orleans Saints now and is wearing a Super Bowl ring already!!!!!!!!!! Modrak didn't agree with Greg Williams and we all grew to despise Williams as a head coach. Looks like we despised the wrong guy! I am trying to remember when they took Mike Williams as OLT and if Tom Modrak was here at that time? I believe he was, and what a great (not) pick that turned out to be with the 4th overall selection in the draft.

My vote is yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put it up on a banner for all to see!! Tom Modrak must go!!! Then maybe we'd draft a franchise QB for once instead of resorting to a 7th round pick to select a QB.

I hope this topic is a little different than what's been up and running lately as it's sure boring being a Bills fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0:) 2010 Bills prediction 5-11

You say "Modrak has been a key to why the Bills pick who they do." Where is your proof? How do you know he made the pick rather than being overruled?

You say "These are just two of many examples of his poor contributions to our drafts." Where is your proof? How do you know that he made the pick rather tahn being overruled?

You say "Modrak didn't agree with Greg Williams." Where is your proof? How do you know he made the pick rather than being overruled?

This topic is old and stupid. There's no evidence on who made any of these picks. There is some evidence that Modrak has been overruled several times. That's about all we know.

This is false. He has been running the Bills draft since 2002.

Um, no, he really hasn't.

Just as quick proof that you're wrong, Donahoe was GM in Buffalo till 2005. Do you somehow think that Modrak, the assistant GM, was controlling Donahoe? Just wrong.

Right. His grades are what lead the decision-makers to pick the wrong players.

Get a clue. One guy gives his opinions, aided by a staff of many, all of whom are free to chip in and disagree. Then the head guy chooses. And we should blame the guy who gives the opinions? Get a clue.

You yourself used the words "control the draft" again and again, and you were clearly wrong.

Sorry but Modrak just heads up the scouting department. he is responsible for grading the players. He doesn't have the final say on who gets picked.

There's a flower in the mud. You're absolutely right. Modrak grades the players and the GM and coaching staff fills team needs.

he runs the freakin' draft... under ORDERS from his boss !!!

WTH told u the man DECIDES WHOM to draft ??

never never never never never never never never NEVER !

"can the man for his SELECTIONS..." DORX !

ok, i feel better now 0:)

~AS

After many years of Tom Modrak being in the organiztion and playing a vital role in our NFL Draft. I just fail to understand why he is still in the Bills organization. The Bills have had several blunders in the draft and in my opinion it continues. Last year taking Aaron Maybin over Bryan Orakapo DE was obviously not a swift move and it was easy to

realize from the onset that choosing a undersized Maybin was a bad selection when Orakapo was the consensus best DE in the draft by a good margin. Modrak has been a key to why the Bills pick who they do and this year choosing a RB over a OLT or QB was highly questionable in many fans and experts alike opinions. These are just two of many examples of his poor contributions to our drafts. Greg Williams wanted us to draft a QB that was available when the Bills made their first round selection when he was the head coach here. That QB is playing for New Orleans Saints now and is wearing a Super Bowl ring already!!!!!!!!!! Modrak didn't agree with Greg Williams and we all grew to despise Williams as a head coach. Looks like we despised the wrong guy! I am trying to remember when they took Mike Williams as OLT and if Tom Modrak was here at that time? I believe he was, and what a great (not) pick that turned out to be with the 4th overall selection in the draft.

My vote is yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put it up on a banner for all to see!! Tom Modrak must go!!! Then maybe we'd draft a franchise QB for once instead of resorting to a 7th round pick to select a QB.

I hope this topic is a little different than what's been up and running lately as it's sure boring being a Bills fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0:) 2010 Bills prediction 5-11

You can't judge a scout - which is what Modrak is - based on picking the wrong player. You used only one example from the Inner Circle time, which is the only time he potentially could have had any important input into the actual selection. The other times - Clements over Brees, Williams instead of anyone, this past draft etc - were all when we had TD as GM or now Buddy Nix, who we have to assume made the final call on who we picked. That was the point of hiring a GM.

let's assume however for arguements sake that Modrak ran the draft in 2009 when we took Maybin et al. If he gets dinged for taking Maybin instead of Orakpo, does he also get credit for taking Byrd in round 2? How abot Levitre and Wood? What about Nleson? Those look like good picks now.

I think as fans, it's impossible for us to know the inner dynamics of the front office. We only know the overall outcome and product that gets put together - not who does what outside of the fact that it's all Buddy Nix's responsibility to make sure it works. If it doesn't then Nix takes the fall, not anyone else. With the Inner Circle approach, Modrak probably had more input than in previous years, so maybe some of those bad picks were his fault, but who are any of us to say that Dick, Brandon, or Ralph made those picks or at least had the final say?

Personally I like Modrak's record - he has had consistant success as a talent evaluator during his career and is thought of well by others in the league - but as I said above, it's impossible to say he's the problem or not from our perspective.

Also want to point out that he didn't want Maybin last year.

A scapegoat? He's been running our drafts since 2002 and has been promoted for his efforts. How does this qualify as a scapegoat?

How in the world are fans content that this guy is still in charge of our college scouting operation? The number of misses has been mind-boggling.

Does Tom Modrak have a bunch of family members posting on TSW today? How could people be coming out to defend his body of work? Modrak has been RUNNING THE DRAFT since 2002 and the roster SUCKS. Was Jauron a horrible coach? Have the free agent acquisitions Modrak had nothing to do with been terrible? Yes and Yes. But that doesn't excuse his body of work.

I will say that I completely excuse him for the Mike Williams and Aaron Maybin picks. But Kelsay over Osi Umenyiora? Roscoe Parrish over Vincent Jackson? Trading up for Poz instead of staying back and taking David Harris? Trading up for McCargo? Trading up for Losman?

THESE MOVES WERE ALL MADE BECAUSE OF THE PLAYER EVALUATION GRADES OF TOM MODRAK

You got a link to anything that says he was running the drafts as of 2002? I'm pretty sure that the GM runs the drafts and makes the final calls on the picks. That would have been TD, then Marv, then no one (maybe Modrak, maybe Dick, maybe Brandon), now Buddy Nix.

THE SCOUTS CAN ONLY GIVE THE GRADE, NOT MAKE THE PICK.

TOM MODRAK DRINKS BABIES BLOOD

This is actually true. It's how he stays so young looking - he actually invented football back in the mid-1300s then lived in a cave until the mid-1800s when President Jackson killed most of the Native Americans, thus killing lacross in this country and paving the way for American football.

By the way, that's a great quote. Adams was always my favorite conservative.

Blaming one guy for the drafting troubles of the Bills is very near sighted. It was a bigger problem. It was very well known that there were alot of voices in the draft room of the Buffalo Bills. Modrak, Ralph, GM, and the coach. How they came up with a decision on players is unknown. Nobody on this board knows.

Based upon various conversations that Nix and Coach Gailey have had with the Media about the draft and free agency it's pretty clear that the buck stops with Buddy Nix. He is making all the decisions. This years draft was the first time in forever where i felt like the Bills had a plan going into the draft and they executed it. Whether or not it was a good plan is yet to be seen. I like the players they got however.

Blaming one guy for the drafting troubles of the Bills is very near sighted. It was a bigger problem. It was very well known that there were alot of voices in the draft room of the Buffalo Bills. Modrak, Ralph, GM, and the coach. How they came up with a decision on players is unknown. Nobody on this board knows.

Based upon various conversations that Nix and Coach Gailey have had with the Media about the draft and free agency it's pretty clear that the buck stops with Buddy Nix. He is making all the decisions. This years draft was the first time in forever where i felt like the Bills had a plan going into the draft and they executed it. Whether or not it was a good plan is yet to be seen. I like the players they got however.

+ 1

I also like that they took offense skill players and D-linemen with their first four picks.

:w00t:

Also want to point out that he didn't want Maybin last year.

Uhhhhhh, no he hasn't. You had the GM's and Wilson's daughter's input. Last year, 2009, is when he was allowed to have more input into what went on behind the scenes. :w00t: