Lynch and Whitner

There are so many people on this board who absolutely hate on Lynch and Whitner and I just don't understand.

Lynch: Some very minor legal issues and two (2) 1,000+ yard seasons and a pro bowl apperance. Last season, when losing his starting spot to Jackson he continued to play hard when called upon. He has not made very many "big" or "game-breaking" plays for the Bills, but since he has been drafted who on the Bills has made "big" or "game-breaking" plays?

Whitner: It seems that the biggest problem people have with Mr. Whitner is that he was drafted so high (8th Overall) and doesn't play like Ed Reed. He plays a different position, for starters. Also, since he is a good run-stopping safety he plays a lot in the box on run support. He plays a lot of slot receivers one-on-one in nickle and dime packages and is one of the hardest workers on the team.

What I think people don't realize is that everyone that is drafted in the first round doesn't go to pro bowls every year. You would love them to do that, but they don't. The thing people forget is all of the Round one busts. All the guys who just fail. These two have not done that at all. They have done what they can to help the Bills win games. When drafting in the first round you want to get a guy that is going to come in and help your ball-club to me more successful. You need a guy who you can count on to be an above average starter in this league for multiple years. Whitner and Lynch have proven that they can be that for the Bills. Over the last few years since they've been with us they have helped this team. They need more pieces and a system that allows them to make plays. The systems that have been in place in Buffalo under Jouron were conservative. Very conservative. They didn't allow playmakers to make plays. I think Gailey and the 3-4 will change that. I wouldn't hope to trade these two very talented players until you see them this year.

Its hard to replace guys like Lynch and Whitner. And to think that they are not of any value is just stupid and ignorant. They might not trade for more than a 3rd round draft choice, but that is not their worth, its just what is out there to be had. Its a buyer's market. I don't think we should sell those items. Go back and watch film or highlights or whatever. These guys are good solid football players. We need them.

Please feel free to formulate an arguement as to why I am wrong (because I am sure that many, if not most of you think I am wrong).

A lot of people complain about whitner because he was drafted so high (not his fault). But then there are other issues with him running his mouth a lot, taking really bad angles (usually one really bad one per a game it felt like), other safties performing better, and more popularity towards Wilson and byrd.

As for lynch, the legal troubles are an issue. One more screw up, and we lose him for an entire season and he is worthless. Whether the legal issues are minor or not doesn't matter. If we lose him for a whole season, then he is just worthless and you can't say otherwise. Then there is the whole thing with lynch not even meeting with gailey yet. And then there is fred jackson, who is just as good or better than him, more dedicated, and more of a fan favorite.

People who hate them might be over-reacting. But there is a lot of saddness that goes with both of them.

Regardless of what all the posters on here think, it is interesting to see where our current staff has all of our favorite whipping boys valued. Lynch could not be had for a third round pick and Donte is the starting SS. Also, to throw in a few more, Kelsey and Maybin are our starting outside lb's and Hardy is in the mix to start outside. I thought all of these guys should be cut? It does appear that Ellison is on his way out though.

I was firmly on the Lynch bandwagon after the first two seasons and still wear his jersey I have, but his off the field encounters with the law were by no means minor. He hit a woman with his vehicle and left the scene of the accident after a night at the club. The second offense, he was in a car with people blazing up (he tried it, but didn't inhale) and there is a loaded gun in the trunk of the car. Neither of these two situations were very bright.

Whitner, I am just flat out done making excuses for.

whitner is horrible as a slot corner, he's the guy 5 yards behind the guy that caught it, over and over. he's simply a beow average safety. OOOOOhhhhh, I hope we trade him for somethin'

and give his spot to cary harris....

GO BILLS!

Very simple. DW has an all pro mouth and 2nd string talent. He was replaced last year when was injured AGAIN and Wilson had the type of year that we have yet to see out of DW in his 4 years.

As far as Lynch goes, he had the fans at "Beast Mode". He ran hard and had a great personality. On Sundays at the Ralph there were thousands of Lynch jerseys. Then he slipped up making a mistake that many have made but he followed that up with a Pro Bowl season and everyone forgot about the car incident. But it was the following offseason that did him in. It wasn't what he did but how he came back after his suspension. Fat and out of shape and hardly resembling the Marshawn of the past. If he came back on fire and running hard he'd be the Bills starter instead of a distraction and fans would still love him.

I'm still on board with Lynch because I think he adds a ton of value to the Bills. It was proven last year that DW can be easily replaced and he has been nothing but average REGARDLESS OF WHERE HE WAS DRAFTED.

Very simple. DW has an all pro mouth and 2nd string talent. He was replaced last year when was injured AGAIN and Wilson had the type of year that we have yet to see out of DW in his 4 years.

As far as Lynch goes, he had the fans at "Beast Mode". He ran hard and had a great personality. On Sundays at the Ralph there were thousands of Lynch jerseys. Then he slipped up making a mistake that many have made but he followed that up with a Pro Bowl season and everyone forgot about the car incident. But it was the following offseason that did him in. It wasn't what he did but how he came back after his suspension. Fat and out of shape and hardly resembling the Marshawn of the past. If he came back on fire and running hard he'd be the Bills starter instead of a distraction and fans would still love him.

I'm still on board with Lynch because I think he adds a ton of value to the Bills. It was proven last year that DW can be easily replaced and he has been nothing but average REGARDLESS OF WHERE HE WAS DRAFTED.

I think DW was trying to show some leadership on a team without leaders so I don't fault him for trying to rally the troops.

I think he is very good against the run with that being said it was extremely refreshing watching Byrd and Wilson ball hawk last year. Aside from Byrd I think everyone on the defensive team runs the risk of being replaced but the secondary is the best unit on the team...so if it's not broke don't fix it.

I agree with your Lynch assessment. My biggest issue with Lynch was that he was out of shape . If he comes back in shape I think we will be set at RB.

I can't argue that Lynch and Whitner are better than average because they are not. Who on this team is?

Donte Whitner definitely received extra scrutiny because he was taken #8 overall. But he has not just underperformed relative to his draft status...he has underperformed PERIOD.

He does not perform as well in his role as an undrafted free agent who was converted from wide receiver.

Isn't that a pretty strong indictment of his play?

I think he is very good against the run with that being said it was extremely refreshing watching Byrd and Wilson ball hawk last year. Aside from Byrd I think

I would not say that DW is very god against the run.

The problem with DW and smaller SS's like Sanders and Troy P (even though DW is not anywhere near the league of those 2) is that they are to small to be in the box and play that physical. You don't see LB's at 5'10" 200 for a reason yet you see those guys dropping down in the box playing around the LOS.

Even though it was only 2 games last year (just ask CBiscuit97), he looked his best at FS. However, now that we've all watched Byrd play he has no shot so that puts him back at SS where he'll just get hurt all over again....or beat out by a WR. :lol:

Whitner hits like a truck. He was injured most of last year. This led to a slip in play. Get over it.

Hit's like a truck, what a tiny s-10, i sure haven't seen him hit guys that hard. Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements laid better licks than him as does Brian scott.