Does the Wang injury force a move?

That's the key line right there -- "was never activated". That's why he is listed as a 2nd-year guy instead of a 3rd-year guy. But I agree with you -- he should be considered to have more experience and thus more should be expected from him.

Yeah, I know why he was listed that way on the roster. But as you say, he wasn't a rookie last year and shouldn't be considered as a second-year man this year.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the recurring theme is that our offensive line has some serious weaknesses. I would be confident enough to say that none of us are happy with the current state of our OL. (including the most optimistic Bills fan) Gailey has had past success with QB's but how is his success rate with a "subpar" OL? IMO, a weak OL = struggling offense = losses.

Yet many of us stand by the Bills front office who have failed to address the OL for years...This year appears to be no different. I JUST DON'T GET IT?

People forget what prompted RW to hire Chuck Knox ...10 straight years of losing to the Dolphins. He got very lucky with Bill Polian after back to back 2-14 seasons. Just don't forget that Polian was only promoted because the incumbent GM had a heart attack. Its not like Polian was hand picked to build the team, he fell into the job.

Polian was the cheap in house promotion that Ralph is so fond of.

too bad Polian is one of the few success stories of that philosophy in buffalo

I think the recurring theme is that our offensive line has some serious weaknesses. I would be confident enough to say that none of us are happy with the current state of our OL. (including the most optimistic Bills fan) Gailey has had past success with QB's but how is his success rate with a "subpar" OL? IMO, a weak OL = struggling offense = losses.

Yet many of us stand by the Bills front office who have failed to address the OL for years...This year appears to be no different. I JUST DON'T GET IT?

For some reason the OL has been neglected and what was probably due to stupidity and bad decisions before - is now due to there being something like a three year plan for the current regime to build from the draft and not spend dollars on free agents.

For some reason the OL has been neglected and what was probably due to stupidity and bad decisions before - is now due to there being something like a three year plan for the current regime to build from the draft and not spend dollars on free agents.

neglecting the OL

sounds like the same short-sighted stupidity of the past decade - but with a better fan friendly spin

Wang wasn't figuring into a starters position anyway...yet...so he'll miss a bit of the "learning curve" however long he will be out. Hopefully he's ready by camp to get some game reps. I was hoping Wang would also get some reps at RT since that's where he first started in college.

There doesn't seem to be any depth at RT either. I haven't heard thing-one about the RT the Bills picked in the 7th (Kyle Calloway). That's either a good thing or very bad.

All of our Tackles are right tackles, we are so weak at LT we just move them over.

neglecting the OL

sounds like the same short-sighted stupidity of the past decade - but with a better fan friendly spin

I agree that the OL is the greatest area of need, but if the value isn't there when you pick, you have to wait until the next round, if it's still not there you still wait. Otherwise you get a bunch of reached for picks that make for a nice mediocre 7-9 team.

I agree that the OL is the greatest area of need, but if the value isn't there when you pick, you have to wait until the next round, if it's still not there you still wait. Otherwise you get a bunch of reached for picks that make for a nice mediocre 7-9 team.

waited thru the draft and free agency

been waiting for 10 years to bring in some premium OL talent, whether in the draft or free agency

I understand what your trying to say. However, I believe there are flaws to your statement. (1) There was great value with Michael Other. We blew it...Second, I believe it is the organizations responsible to create value via trade or free agent pick ups. They have yet to do this for several years.

I understand what your trying to say. However, I believe there are flaws to your statement. (1) There was great value with Michael Other. We blew it...Second, I believe it is the organizations responsible to create value via trade or free agent pick ups. They have yet to do this for several years.

Actually, Michael Oher was not rated as a good value when the Bills drafted Maybin at #11. He would have been considered a reach at that point.

Oher was considered the 4th best tackle in last year's draft.

The consensus top three tackles in last year's draft were Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, and Andre Smith. And in fact, they were the first three tackles taken.

Jason Smith (drafted 2nd overall) played right tackle, had injury problems (foot, concussion) and played like a confused rookie last year. He appeared in 8 games with 5 starts.

Andre Smith (drafted 6th overall) held out for 30 days, missed all of training camp and most of preseason and then fractured his foot. He played in 6 games and started once.

Eugene Monroe (drafted 8th overall) started the season at left tackle, missed a game to illness, was benched then reinstated and ended up playing 15 games and starting 13. Reviews of his play are that he was not terribly impressive. He allowed 7 sacks last year.

Whether or not the Bills whiffed on Maybin, Oher would have been considered a reach at #11. And Oher was off the board at #28 when we took Eric Wood.

Also the Bills did not have a shot at any of the top three tackles, and if they had, that player would have likely been a disappointment.

Oher outperformed his projection and was taken 23rd overall. So he had a solid rookie season and ended up being a great value as a result. But only a clairvoyant would have considered Oher a "value" at #11.

Actually, Michael Oher was not rated as a good value when the Bills drafted Maybin at #11. He would have been considered a reach at that point.

The consensus top three tackles in last year's draft were Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, and Andre Smith. And in fact, they were the first three tackles taken.

Jason Smith (drafted 2nd overall) played right tackle, had injury problems (foot, concussion) and played like a confused rookie last year. He appeared in 8 games with 5 starts.

Andre Smith (drafted 6th overall) held out for 30 days, missed all of training camp and most of preseason and then fractured his foot. He played in 6 games and started once.

Eugene Monroe (drafted 8th overall) started the season at left tackle, missed a game to illness, was benched then reinstated and ended up playing 15 games and starting 13. Reviews of his play are that he was not terribly impressive. He allowed 7 sacks last year.

Whether or not the Bills whiffed on Maybin, Oher would have been considered a reach at #11. And Oher was off the board at #28 when we took Eric Wood.

Also the Bills did not have a shot at any of the top three tackles, and if they had, that player would have likely been a disappointment.

Oher outperformed his projection and was taken 23rd overall. So he had a solid rookie season and ended up being a great value as a result. But only a clairvoyant would have considered Oher a "value" at #11.

[/qu

You have refreshed my memory and I do believe you are correct. However, I do recall many of the so called experts expecting us to take him. Thus, making it a slight slight reach. SOmetimes I think it is Ok to "slightly reach" (if that exist) to fill a HUGE need. I know its easy to play arm chair QB.....

"But only a clairvoyant would have considered Oher a "value" at #11."

This is only true if teams are using Mel Kiper's big board as their sole draft resource.

Good teams know who the good players are and they would not have considered a starting caliber LT a reach at #11, or anywhere else in the draft.

unfortunately, the Bills scouting dept, led by Modrak, have been abysmal at identifying between the studs and duds (except of course in Modrak in his after season excuse session where he informs the masses of all of the good guys he really wanted but was overruled on ) 

This is only true if teams are using Mel Kiper's big board as their sole draft resource.

Good teams know who the good players are and they would not have considered a starting caliber LT a reach at #11, or anywhere else in the draft.

unfortunately, the Bills scouting dept, led by Modrak, have been abysmal at identifying between the studs and duds (except of course in Modrak in his after season excuse session where he informs the masses of all of the good guys he really wanted but was overruled on ) 

Actually, most of the draft boards I saw (not just Kiper's) had Oher as the 4th tackle. And lo and behold, he was the 4th tackle taken so it was also (at least 3) NFL teams which didn't have him ranked in the top three.

And Jacksonville is a good team? That's why they knew Oher was a good player? Jacksonville has been a middle of the road team for some time and they have done at best, an average job of drafting in recent years.

Jacksonville was fortunate that Oher slipped to them at #23 where it became a no-brainer (especially for a tackle needy team) to draft him.

It's like Rob's House said, you like to get a player at a position of value, not as a reach.

I am totally ok with rebuilding. I welcome rebuilding. But drafting a RB in the top 10 as your first pick of the new regime does not scream out rebuilding to me it says we want a new way to sell tickets without building a good team. Drafting front 5 on O and front 7 on D is how you rebuild a team.

And to the two year plan concept: if this is year number one and we added a RB, DT, DE, WR with out first 4 picks does that mean that next year the plan is a QB a LT and a RT?

Seems backwards to me.

Be careful Bufloblood the fans here might attack your negative connotations. You might get abel a troll.

Thurman you stated:

The Bills have already understood that they are likely to be lousy this year. If they hadn't accepted that, they would have picked up Clausen or Pike and an LT.

We're rebuilding. You don't seem ready to accept it, but it's very obvious that the Bills brass have. We're going to be lousy this year. If we're still lousy in 2012, they'll start to think about canning Gailey.

Be careful with your statements because you might offend some people here. Additionally, you may get labeled a troll.

Football wise I think your comment is "spot on."

Actually, most of the draft boards I saw (not just Kiper's) had Oher as the 4th tackle. And lo and behold, he was the 4th tackle taken so it was also (at least 3) NFL teams which didn't have him ranked in the top three.

And Jacksonville is a good team? That's why they knew Oher was a good player? Jacksonville has been a middle of the road team for some time and they have done at best, an average job of drafting in recent years.

Jacksonville was fortunate that Oher slipped to them at #23 where it became a no-brainer (especially for a tackle needy team) to draft him.

It's like Rob's House said, you like to get a player at a position of value, not as a reach.

Point well taken and I think you meant Baltimore right?

Well then call me the "Clairvoyant One".

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...t&p=1392263

Take a look at all the flak I caught on this one

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...p;#entry1380984

The turd we ended up with.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...t&p=1361517

Point well taken and I think you meant Baltimore right?

Ouch. Yes, Baltimore. That invalidates some of my argument. Baltimore does draft well and has been a good team. But it was still a no-brainer when Oher slipped to them. At that point he was great value.

Incidentally, they had another great value pick this year, when Terrence Cody slipped to them in the 2nd Round. He was considered a risky pick because of his weight problems but at where they picked him, he was a great selection.

Well then call me the "Clairvoyant One".

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...t&p=1392263

Take a look at all the flak I caught on this one

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...p;#entry1380984

The turd we ended up with.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...t&p=1361517

I loved your post. Way to back yourself up. People can't say much when you deliver the goods. I think I will be doing the same thing midway through the season.